What’s in your pocket? (Gloves)

SnackDubs

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@SnackDubs - it’s actually okay if your Anti-Factory Mad here, haha. I’d hope you weren’t, but we are neutral. unless there are overwhelmingly strong opinions and data one way or the other...  some people like some brands and others like different ones 

but it sounds like your very well versed on Dennis! He’s in a different position and has some different philosophies than other brands his size, it’s definitely enabled him to create his own pricing models 

I’ve seen the knee guards, how their made, and tried them on. I don’t doubt they are worth the money. Heck, people who buy via Piku pay a markup on them. I seriously doubt you’d regret the dicison to buy them.

My personal biggest reservation with them is that they are a life long commitment and I don’t know if I could make that, haha. If your a person who can, I don’t think you can go wrong 

I have a bespoke PAW neck guard that could probably be counted as the first “TGN Spec” idea I had. It cost more than the used Vaughn C&A I am currently wearing. It’s great and I don’t have any complaints. 

However, after a demoing a Maltese, I’m seriously thinking about switching. That type of personality is what would make it tough for me to pay $300 for knee guards...

8 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

@SnackDubs - it’s actually okay if your Anti-Factory Mad here, haha. I’d hope you weren’t, but we are neutral. unless there are overwhelmingly strong opinions and data one way or the other...  some people like some brands and others like different ones 

but it sounds like your very well versed on Dennis! He’s in a different position and has some different philosophies than other brands his size, it’s definitely enabled him to create his own pricing models 

I’ve seen the knee guards, how their made, and tried them on. I don’t doubt they are worth the money. Heck, people who buy via Piku pay a markup on them. I seriously doubt you’d regret the dicison to buy them.

My personal biggest reservation with them is that they are a life long commitment and I don’t know if I could make that, haha. If your a person who can, I don’t think you can go wrong 

I have a bespoke PAW neck guard that could probably be counted as the first “TGN Spec” idea I had. It cost more than the used Vaughn C&A I am currently wearing. It’s great and I don’t have any complaints. 

However, after a demoing a Maltese, I’m seriously thinking about switching. That type of personality is what would make it tough for me to pay $300 for knee guards...

I also believe that you could really beef up a pair of knee pads for half the price potentially. Like buying a g2 knee gaurds and attaching an old thigh board for extra protection would be fantastic for about 150

8 hours ago, SnackDubs said:

I feel like Dennis competes with the market very well and kills all of the AA manufacturers. 

Gloves wise he is the best in the market imo with the exception of the Optik and a few others 

blocker, pretty damn good imo. I think the ideal blocker is a Bauer 1s but it felt great in the hands and boots pucks off the face 

pads, heard great things, haven’t seen them in person so I can’t compare them to say a Brian’s but from looks ( and looks alone) I think a lot of brands can compete, idk they might be unreal. 

Neck gaurds 

I don’t know what’s special about them from looking at them. I have bought Vaughn carbon fiber one in the past for about 25 bucks pro return and they are pretty fantastic in protection, not perfect, but pretty good. But at 25 bucks pro return and I think 40 normally I could buy 3 to 5 of them for the price of one factory mad. 

knee pads. 

Probably the best on the market. The Koho Swiss pros are 130 on goAlie monkey but even then the factory mads blow them out of the water.

The Koho Swiss knee guard for me just does not merit the cash. People complain that they fall apart! And that carbon fibre is just a print...

Replaceable and washable components are what make me love the Factory guards.

Can you wash and replace components on the Vaughn neck guard? I ask because that is one of the key features for me. I had the rash that never went away years ago, so the ability to sanitise is BIG for me. 

I see what you’re saying about AA, but Dennis not AA, he is AAAA. I will NOT pay more than $500 for an off-shore pad. Bauer is selling an $1800 off-shore pad. To me, Bauer is -A for selling over-expensive Chinese crap.  

9 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

When do we get a review or at least some pics?

3 minutes ago, dreadlocked1 said:

Hi!  First post here.  IPv6Freely, if you had one and then compared it side by side with nylon and non-floating you'd ask yourself, "which one would I want a puck to land in?"  And you would say, "the soft fluffy pillow one". 

Nope. I’m good with what I have. 

8 minutes ago, dreadlocked1 said:

I was intrigued and followed a how-to back on gsbb on my Simmons 995 glove.  Loved it, but didn't want to spend the time doing it on my 998 glove when I ordered so I had Simmons do it, well worth the investment imo.

Glad you’re happy with it. Wouldn’t be worth it for me.

@IPv6Freely - its like the puck hitting a brick wall vs hitting a pillow made of feathers. 

The “float” allows the skate lace to fully expand and better absorb the pucks energy. 

If I had a Factory Mad glove that didn’t close shut and had the floating T, I’m confident I wouldn’t have any pop outs. 

I’m not currently using one, but it’s a noticeably different experience and is not a gimmick 

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@IPv6Freely - its like the puck hitting a brick wall vs hitting a pillow made of feathers. 

The “float” allows the skate lace to fully expand and better absorb the pucks energy. 

If I had a Factory Mad glove that didn’t close shut and had the floating T, I’m confident I wouldn’t have any pop outs. 

I’m not currently using one, but it’s a noticeably different experience and is not a gimmick 

I understand what it does, I just don’t see the point. Maybe I’m just spoiled by using a Passau glove?

8 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

There is a small minority that likes the feel of the puck hitting nylon cord. Some site the feel of the puck in the pocket, knowing where it is, so to speak.

Give me skate lace and a floating T any day of the week. But that’s why some of us like one thing and loathe other things.

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

There is a small minority that likes the feel of the puck hitting nylon cord. Some site the feel of the puck in the pocket, knowing where it is, so to speak.

Give me skate lace and a floating T any day of the week. But that’s why some of us like one thing and loathe other things.

I'll chime in in the minority here I guess. I had a LT90 I used for years with skate lace. It was great, it's very evident why a floating T/Skate lace is popular.

But man, switching back to a single T, nylon pocket just beings back that "Whoomp" feeling I missed.

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I'll chime in in the minority here I guess. I had a LT90 I used for years with skate lace. It was great, it's very evident why a floating T/Skate lace is popular.

But man, switching back to a single T, nylon pocket just beings back that "Whoomp" feeling I missed.

Oh no doubt. I had the price set with the skate lace and double T pocket and it was wayyyy easier to control shots than my current glove (leighton pro return, single T, nylon). 

But yes the leighton glove does give you that satisfying thwap lol

13 minutes ago, jmw0097 said:

Oh no doubt. I had the price set with the skate lace and double T pocket and it was wayyyy easier to control shots than my current glove (leighton pro return, single T, nylon). 

But yes the leighton glove does give you that satisfying thwap lol

One goalie I know will ONLY have nylon cord. He admits he has to hang on and even admits that he has pop outs, but he KNOWS where the puck is. 

I admit that occasionally, I have lost track of the puck when it goes into a floating skate lace pocket, but I also know it isn’t coming out.

Archived