What’s in your pocket? (Gloves)

SnackDubs

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Floating T with skate lace on sll my gloves.

I find it crazy how factory mad charges up to 180 bucks for 6 bucks of lacing. My personal break in method is

take out nylon lacing completely with the tee.

put it in a skate oven and tape it up for 24 hours

put in floating tee.

6 hours ago, SnackDubs said:

I find it crazy how factory mad charges up to 180 bucks for 6 bucks of lacing. My personal break in method is

take out nylon lacing completely with the tee.

put it in a skate oven and tape it up for 24 hours

put in floating tee.

It’s actually quite a bit more involved than JUST relacing your pocket. Your glove is taken APART, re-worked, T is bobbed off, glove re-assembled, then re-laced in the pocket with probably $3 (or fewer) worth of bulk skate lace. It’s actually quite an involved method. It made gloves that were EXTREMELY unworkable close with EASE after many attempts with EVERY SINGLE internet goalie glove closure remedy, including hot water, skate ovens, couches, hundreds of pounds of barbells, etc., etc. Dennis also uncurled my plastics to make the glove have more blocking area in the perimeter for the occasion the puck is nowhere near the pocket! 

I had an early Warrior glove and a Reebok P4 pro that would not close that were made into VERY serviceable gloves thanks to Dennis’ “$180 pocket re-lace”.

But if you get great results DIY, I can certainly respect that. I just wanted to tell you what you get for $180.  The P4 that I had was sold off in a fire sale as the previous owner could not get it to close and neither could I! The old Warrior Messiah gloves were pretty horrible, but the “$180 pocket re-lace” did the trick and made it into a serviceable glove!

I see where you’re coming from, but there is a LOT more to the Factory Mad service than a simple pocket relace is all I am saying. 

I am now almost exclusively using my Factory Mad glove (which closes out of the box, with skate lace pocket standard) , as despite it coming in at NHL-legal dimensions, it is narrower just in the cuff box portion than my old-spec “cheater” gloves.  I wish he’d make an illegal cuff option, as this would be the ultimate cheater glove!

23 hours ago, SnackDubs said:

Do u like the Passau glove?

Oh my god yes. Nothing on the market comes even close. I would have loved the Optik break before switching to Passau, though. 

The pocket is also ridiculous on it. Floating-T would be completely pointless on it. 

Even if I may buy other companies pads in the future, I’m pretty sure I’ll be buying Passau gloves from now on.

I’ve used multiple gloves and T’s lately. 

Brian’s GNetik double T, Vaughn 9500 double T, Bauer single T 1S skate skate lace, Factory Mad Floating skate lace, GNetik double T modded to skate lace floating by Factory Mad, and Optik single T skate lace  

Optik is my favorite. It’s deep and I love how a good shot snaps as it hits the T. It’s a great feel. 

However, I’d say it’s all preference. Factory Mad floating Ts are absolute vacuums, but they’re very soft. It’s all preference to me 

6 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I’ve used multiple gloves and T’s lately. 

Brian’s GNetik double T, Vaughn 9500 double T, Bauer single T 1S skate skate lace, Factory Mad Floating skate lace, GNetik double T modded to skate lace floating by Factory Mad, and Optik single T skate lace  

Optik is my favorite. It’s deep and I love how a good shot snaps as it hits the T. It’s a great feel. 

However, I’d say it’s all preference. Factory Mad floating Ts are absolute vacuums, but they’re very soft. It’s all preference to me 

Would you not say that before Dennis took apart your gloves, they just did not close right? I had two gloves that were just nightmares! I have a funny feeling that if a Factory pocket was done with nylon lacing cord, it would still be an awesome closure, just less soft. 

@bunnyman666 - I used his actual glove too. Like I said above it’s amazing, but it feels much softer than any traditional single or double t. 

Dennis does amazing things and I could definitely see my self dabbling with one of his gloves again, but right now I am loving Optik and don’t know if I’d change anything on it. 

On 12/31/2017 at 5:34 AM, bunnyman666 said:

It’s actually quite a bit more involved than JUST relacing your pocket. Your glove is taken APART, re-worked, T is bobbed off, glove re-assembled, then re-laced in the pocket with probably $3 (or fewer) worth of bulk skate lace. It’s actually quite an involved method. It made gloves that were EXTREMELY unworkable close with EASE after many attempts with EVERY SINGLE internet goalie glove closure remedy, including hot water, skate ovens, couches, hundreds of pounds of barbells, etc., etc. Dennis also uncurled my plastics to make the glove have more blocking area in the perimeter for the occasion the puck is nowhere near the pocket! 

I had an early Warrior glove and a Reebok P4 pro that would not close that were made into VERY serviceable gloves thanks to Dennis’ “$180 pocket re-lace”.

But if you get great results DIY, I can certainly respect that. I just wanted to tell you what you get for $180.  The P4 that I had was sold off in a fire sale as the previous owner could not get it to close and neither could I! The old Warrior Messiah gloves were pretty horrible, but the “$180 pocket re-lace” did the trick and made it into a serviceable glove!

I see where you’re coming from, but there is a LOT more to the Factory Mad service than a simple pocket relace is all I am saying. 

I am now almost exclusively using my Factory Mad glove (which closes out of the box, with skate lace pocket standard) , as despite it coming in at NHL-legal dimensions, it is narrower just in the cuff box portion than my old-spec “cheater” gloves.  I wish he’d make an illegal cuff option, as this would be the ultimate cheater glove!

I don’t want to disrespect factory mad as they make the best glove on the market hands down and if I need repairs he is the guy to go. I understand what he does and he does a fantastic job. But nearly ever product and service Is overpriced imo. I think he quoted 300 dollars for knee pads, KNEE PADS! Even if they are the best in the business.  And I know it’s more than a relace. But one thing that also annoys me is the prices. For example if were to buy a “AA” ( small company, kenesky, Simmons, and passau )pad and not a “AAA pads” ( ccm , Bauer etc) there a huge price difference, for good reason too. In a AAA pad company a lot of what your paying goes straight to R&D and marketing. I want to say that I don’t think Simmons or passau or anyone makes an inferior pad by any means. But I feel that even if factorymad makes a “ AAA” pad, glove and blocker, it’s hard for me to convince me that the 1800 dollar price point for pads is justifiable because he isn’t paying for that marketing part of it ( he does do a crazy amount of r and d) However I don’t want to hurt the credibility of factory because They make some of the best gear on the market hands down! But even then, the lightest pads, g3s, on the market are cheaper. His neck protectors are 125 dollars! For 75 more you have a custom Reiter spec Maltese neck guard. Factory pads right now are 1895 dollars.i don’t know how his business works and maybe this is all justifiable and I might break down and buy some knee guards soon, but I still feel like if Dennis dropped his prices he could take over the gear game.

@SnackDubs - before you read anything I write below, please realize I am not defending Dennis. I’m just highlighting his business model from what I know. 

- Dennis would be offended to be lumped with anyone other than Brian’s and Vaughn. He does not support any products made over seas. He would absolutely not consider himself AA, which is probably a fair assessment for Simmons or McKenny. 

- He’s built gear and did pro customs for Vaughn for 20ish Years. At Factory Mad, he built and moded gear that’s been in the NHL and worn by a Conn Smyth and Vezina winner. So his resume could be considered pretty similar to a Pete Smith and it’s possible he’s physically built more player specific customs at Vaughn than Mike himself? 

- With Factory Mad, your getting gear actually stitched by Dennis Himself. With CCM, Michel Lefebvre is not assembling your gear, at Vaughn, Mike Vaughn is not lacing your glove, and at Warrior, Pete is not personally customizing your gear for you 

- Dennis is a 1 man shop. There’s a demand for his services and your essentially paying for his time. It wouldn’t be worth his while to build $99 knee guards 

- Dennis’ goal is to be the best goalie gear on earth. He feels that his gear competes with the largest companies and there’s no reason to be paying less for his stuff

Hopefully that helps clearify some the pricing. Again, I’m not defending it, just trying to paint a different picture of it. 

As I stated above, I was price conscious when Dennis was modding my gear. I had to pick and choose my services to stay in budget

everything Dennis has done for me has been top notch and he hits his deadlines 

3 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

@SnackDubs - before you read anything I write below, please realize I am not defending Dennis. I’m just highlighting his business model from what I know. 

- Dennis would be offended to be lumped with anyone other than Brian’s and Vaughn. He does not support any products made over seas. He would absolutely not consider himself AA, which is probably a fair assessment for Simmons or McKenny. 

- He’s built gear and did pro customs for Vaughn for 20ish Years. At Factory Mad, he built and moded gear that’s been in the NHL and worn by a Conn Smyth and Vezina winner. So his resume could be considered pretty similar to a Pete Smith and it’s possible he’s physically built more player specific customs at Vaughn than Mike himself? 

- With Factory Mad, your getting gear actually stitched by Dennis Himself. With CCM, Michel Lefebvre is not assembling your gear, at Vaughn, Mike Vaughn is not lacing your glove, and at Warrior, Pete is not personally customizing your gear for you 

- Dennis is a 1 man shop. There’s a demand for his services and your essentially paying for his time. It wouldn’t be worth his while to build $99 knee guards 

- Dennis’ goal is to be the best goalie gear on earth. He feels that his gear competes with the largest companies and there’s no reason to be paying less for his stuff

Hopefully that helps clearify some the pricing. Again, I’m not defending it, just trying to paint a different picture of it. 

As I stated above, I was price conscious when Dennis was modding my gear. I picked and choose my service to stay in budget

everything did Dennis has done for me has been top notch and he hits his deadlines 

@SnackDubs The quoted is how I would explain Factory Mad stuff. Is it expensive? HELL yes, it is!!!

Knee guards: EVERY single wear item is replaceable; can you say that about ANY other maker’s knee guards?

I have taken ex-AHL-er’s shots wearing these. Only ONE time did I feel ANYTHING, and this bloke also bruised my jaw from a top of the circle clapper to my head. I was *this* close to Paul Bunyaning his head!!!! But I just had stingers; not so much as a bruise!

As far as Factory’s gear goes- it is on tier with ANY of the bigs, if not slightly -if not MUCH better!

Comparing neck guards is oranges to pomegranates! What other neck guard can you replace several components?!?

If you could even reach Mike Vaughn by phone, he’d most likely be pissed off that you got past his layers of security and send a goon to whoop your ass. He probably has not run a sewing machine in 30 years! Who is the head of CCM? Is there a Jeremiah Bauer? Who is Brian and why don’t we know who he is?!? Factory Mad is more like John  Brown, if you want to compare small makers...

Dennis IS the guy; THAT is who you deal with. 

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

As I stated above, I was price conscious when Dennis was modding my gear. I had to pick and choose my services to stay in budget

everything Dennis has done for me has been top notch and he hits his deadlines 

I know, he is a AAA gear producer in my opinion in terms of quality, but not in terms of budget. Tbh if I was in the market to spend 3 grand on gear, I would strongly consider Dennis. He is actually a great guy. I have talked to him over texts and he’s really insightful and has even offered discount I will get behind everything that guy says about gear today. 

The market on gloves is truly atrocious in my opinion

every opinion on gear he has is really well founded. Everything he designs is great imo and the dude works his ass off from what I can infer and gear truly is his passion. I’m sorry if I came off anti-Factorymad because I’m really not and I would buy a set from Dennis before I would even consider anything from a ccm or a bauer,  what I was trying to say is that Factory isn’t a AA manufacturer, but is technically filed under that category as he is a small company with one man. His quality and and performance is definitely AAA. 

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

@SnackDubs The quoted is how I would explain Factory Mad stuff. Is it expensive? HELL yes, it is!!!

Knee guards: EVERY single wear item is replaceable; can you say that about ANY other maker’s knee guards?

I have taken ex-AHL-er’s shots wearing these. Only ONE time did I feel ANYTHING, and this bloke also bruised my jaw from a top of the circle clapper to my head. I was *this* close to Paul Bunyaning his head!!!! But I just had stingers; not so much as a bruise!

As far as Factory’s gear goes- it is on tier with ANY of the bigs, if not slightly -if not MUCH better!

Comparing neck guards is oranges to pomegranates! What other neck guard can you replace several components?!?

If you could even reach Mike Vaughn by phone, he’d most likely be pissed off that you got past his layers of security and send a goon to whoop your ass. He probably has not run a sewing machine in 30 years! Who is the head of CCM? Is there a Jeremiah Bauer? Who is Brian and why don’t we know who he is?!? Factory Mad is more like John  Brown, if you want to compare small makers...

Dennis IS the guy; THAT is who you deal with. 

I feel like Dennis competes with the market very well and kills all of the AA manufacturers. 

Gloves wise he is the best in the market imo with the exception of the Optik and a few others 

blocker, pretty damn good imo. I think the ideal blocker is a Bauer 1s but it felt great in the hands and boots pucks off the face 

pads, heard great things, haven’t seen them in person so I can’t compare them to say a Brian’s but from looks ( and looks alone) I think a lot of brands can compete, idk they might be unreal. 

Neck gaurds 

I don’t know what’s special about them from looking at them. I have bought Vaughn carbon fiber one in the past for about 25 bucks pro return and they are pretty fantastic in protection, not perfect, but pretty good. But at 25 bucks pro return and I think 40 normally I could buy 3 to 5 of them for the price of one factory mad. 

knee pads. 

Probably the best on the market. The Koho Swiss pros are 130 on goAlie monkey but even then the factory mads blow them out of the water.

Archived