Doobiesnax's Reactor Pad Mods

Doobiesnax

Ok so i figured I might as well through up a thread on my modding experiment on my Reactor 4000 pads.  This was my first dive into modding pads, but with a little info from @Kayen i've found the experience to be super fun and almost addicting.

So I snagged a set of Bauer Reactor 4000's in great shape off of GGSU for $150 cdn + shipping about 2 months ago, bought a speedy stitcher sewing awl, and started tinkering.

To date here is what I've done:

- De-Badged them by removing the Bauer logo from the knee roll and the reactor logo from the outer roll (Id did the same to my retro flex gloves)

- Replaced toe laces with prolaces

- Removed the knee cradle (I re-purposed it as a temp knee block cushion until my new monster blocks come in (i know, i know)

- Removed the 2 lower leather calf straps

- Removed the thigh guard attachments

- Removed the knee block nylon strap (left the top thigh rise one so i can carry the pads)

- Added 2" K straps to the bottom and top calf wraps.  I made a tab with jenpro and velcro that combines these two straps and the knee block elastic strap together like a smart strap that all attach as one to the calf wrap.

- Added a elastic "professor strap" at the top of my calf just under my knee that attaches directly to the leg channel lacing.

The pads rotate and feel great now so all in all its been a very fullfilling first crack at pad modding.

Original Pads:

image.thumb.png.22e6f406dba54e6aef4cff3bb644114f.pngimage.png.38e431b31213a4ecca512a249045b197.png

Current Pads:

5a4cf48d479cb_set1.thumb.jpg.5bd05cd34894ca5a1dbe38c2da43f347.jpg

5a4cf49e2f543_unnamed(4).thumb.jpg.335aea5b4b97f94623de7a2cf766b8ab.jpg

5a4cf503777b9_unnamed(2).thumb.jpg.c2095dc488d98883986378cfb8c67c22.jpg

unnamed.thumb.jpg.ae73139d8e46cf7086650bc395d689d7.jpg

5a4cf4b6d9f97_unnamed(1).thumb.jpg.2c44693eff476879258833cc222958ec.jpg

Gotcha... was seriously wondering if anyone was still using thigh straps in 2018.. lol.

I use a leather strap through the thigh rise cord for hooking my pads onto my bag. I wouldn't carry them that way because it's too much strain on the cords, but for hanging its fine since they're held up by the front strap anyway.

Just now, Ghostender said:

Ahh - thx - may use this in the future if I can find a desirable set of used pads

key is to lighlty rub the logos to slowly work them off (small circles and clean rags worked for me).  When the logo is gone, wipe down the area with a rag and water, then apply some sort of leather seal to the area.  Stealth mode achieved.

1 hour ago, Ghostender said:

Perfect - thanks again!

And yes, love the stealth mode - much cleaner look (and hides the fact I am too poor to afford something even close to the latest and greatest!)

Makes them look like they're custom or something, IMO. Much better! 

Thanks gents, its really this site that gave me the courage to attempt any mods... I always assumed you needed to go to a repair shop or shoe repair spot to modify your gear.  When I saw you jabronys whipping up all sorts of black magic i figured what the heck ;) !

13 minutes ago, Doobiesnax said:

Thanks gents, its really this site that gave me the courage to attempt any mods... I always assumed you needed to go to a repair shop or shoe repair spot to modify your gear.  When I saw you jabronys whipping up all sorts of black magic i figured what the heck ;) !

If a hack like me can shorten thigh rises and boot scoops, ANYONE can do it!!!

You did a great job!

On 03/01/2018 at 10:01 AM, IPv6Freely said:

Gotcha... was seriously wondering if anyone was still using thigh straps in 2018.. lol.

I use a leather strap through the thigh rise cord for hooking my pads onto my bag. I wouldn't carry them that way because it's too much strain on the cords, but for hanging its fine since they're held up by the front strap anyway.

I actually was using them on my Reactors still before I sold them. Narrow butterfly and it helped alot. Definitely killed rotation though. 

I use a bungee hook to carry my pads now (Ritual G3)

Great work @Doobiesnax. I'm old school when it comes to carrying my pads as well even though I have a bad that is likely large enough. I just buckle a boot strap to the other pad and carry them upside down. My Dad's thought was if I couldn't carry it into the rink I shouldn't be wearing it. Damn kids and their bags on wheels nowadays.

My only suggestion would be to remove the knee lock elastic and either make or have made a set that have a hook and a loop side so you can simply sandwich them between the pieces of the knee stack. Fantastic work though. I've wanted to open up my current set and shave and inch or so off the top, but I just can't bring myself to actually do it. Seeing how much work you've done and how well it turned out will only be salt in the wound when I have to pay someone to do the shaving in the spring.

34 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Great work @Doobiesnax. I'm old school when it comes to carrying my pads as well even though I have a bad that is likely large enough. I just buckle a boot strap to the other pad and carry them upside down. My Dad's thought was if I couldn't carry it into the rink I shouldn't be wearing it. Damn kids and their bags on wheels nowadays.

My only suggestion would be to remove the knee lock elastic and either make or have made a set that have a hook and a loop side so you can simply sandwich them between the pieces of the knee stack. Fantastic work though. I've wanted to open up my current set and shave and inch or so off the top, but I just can't bring myself to actually do it. Seeing how much work you've done and how well it turned out will only be salt in the wound when I have to pay someone to do the shaving in the spring.

It really is not that hard to shave an inch from the top. You remove the thigh trims, open the pad, measure twice, cut foam with a box cutter, leave 1/2” more jenpro than what you removed foam-wise,  sew it up, then re-sew your thigh trim. It’s actually pretty easy. You need a sharp upholstery needle (Factory Mad will sell you one or PAW) and sail thread (same people). Dennis led me through when I did pad surgery. Sara may, as well.  

53 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Thanks man!  The knee lock scenario will be updated once I get my new knee blocks, I'm going to make my own internal piece to attach the elastic to that sits between the new block and the internal stack piece.  

I also checked last nght and it turns out that the top strap also serves a purpose besides carrying.  Like @kaygen, I find it helps close up my old narrow ass five hole a bit when im in the butterfly as it tugs the outsides of the thighrises in to the middle to square up the tops of my pads when i go down.

On 1/5/2018 at 9:30 AM, bunnyman666 said:

It really is not that hard to shave an inch from the top. You remove the thigh trims, open the pad, measure twice, cut foam with a box cutter, leave 1/2” more jenpro than what you removed foam-wise,  sew it up, then re-sew your thigh trim. It’s actually pretty easy. You need a sharp upholstery needle (Factory Mad will sell you one or PAW) and sail thread (same people). Dennis led me through when I did pad surgery. Sara may, as well.  

@bunnyman666 any chance you have some pics of the procedure you performed? I have the necessary instruments but as I told Sara when I reached out to her, I'm far more comfortable using the equipment than taking it apart and putting it back together. 

1 minute ago, BadAngle41 said:

@bunnyman666 any chance you have some pics of the procedure you performed? I have the necessary instruments but as I told Sara when I reached out to her, I'm far more comfortable using the equipment than taking it apart and putting it back together. 

I will have to pull those pix from my iPad, but I be VERY happy to show you how to do it!

Archived