Vinyl Mask Wraps

I had DIY “wrap” and it just did not work. I know that wraps are the wave of the future. Shawn Schroeder predicted custom foam and wraps awhile back; so far- THAT seems to be coming to fruition. As long as the wraps last reasonably and don’t cost an arm and a leg with tonnes of detail...

That being said- my Bea Arthur, Easter Bunny , Ric Flair, Greg Lemond and Lance Armstrong fighting with a Satan who looks remarkably like a rabbit will be done by DaveArt in PAINT!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@bunnyman666 - Shawn was / is Olympia Composites? Can’t remember which company his is with 

I believe the only non-Pro with a DaveArt right now is Kane Van Gate. I think you’ll need to fly to Sweden and bike to his to barn and hold him hostage to get a mask! 

Again, something else I’d pay to watch. Maybe you could start a Kick Starter campaign and have it filmed?!?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

@bunnyman666 - Shawn was / is Olympia Composites? Can’t remember which company his is with 

I believe the only non-Pro with a DaveArt right now is Kane Van Gate. I think you’ll need to fly to Sweden and bike to his to barn and hold him hostage to get a mask! 

Again, something else I’d pay to watch. Maybe you could start a Kick Starter campaign and have it filmed?!?

Shawn was Kustom Composites... But he had a fire and is now in the background mostly.  I think he is/was closely tied with the Maltese guys

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@cwarnar has it right about the Shawn I refer to. 

And I am kidding about DaveArt; if my paint project gets off the ground, you will know about it! I am not announcing the artist or scheme publicly until I have a suitable spare secured.

Though Bea Arthur may make an appearance!

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I had DIY “wrap” and it just did not work. I know that wraps are the wave of the future. Shawn Schroeder predicted custom foam and wraps awhile back; so far- THAT seems to be coming to fruition. As long as the wraps last reasonably and don’t cost an arm and a leg with tonnes of detail...

Just to put into perspective, I was quoted a difference of $200 between a paint job and a wrap job of the same design.  $50 extra if I wanted my backplate wrapped as well.

This is gonna greatly affect the smaller mask painters out there.

Furthermore, I was warned by more than one mask painter that these wraps remain solid even after the shell has been cracked and/or compromised. So the paint would still look fine but you wouldn't see the damage underneath unless you saw it from the inside of the mask.

Looks great. But I don't trust it.

28 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

In all seriousness though, he does have a point.  I can definitely see a shell getting damaged and then not seeing the damage because of the wrap.  On the other hand, I also feel that a puck impact of that nature would rip the vinyl so its probably moot.  

True dat. 

48 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Even more shocking is when we leased my wife's Hyundai last year, the dealer asked what I drove.  I told him a Subaru.  He said I should trade it in for a Hyundai because its better than Subaru.

LOL yeah that's always funny. Lower end (no offense intended!) dealers are hilariously irritating. That was the first thing I noticed when I was on the Porsche lot was how little pressure there was. I guess they either a) don't have time to rush to try to sell to every single person on the lot who can't afford it anyway and b) know that if you want one, you'll buy one. No need to sell to them. 

We were on a Honda lot (looking at a Volvo they had on the lot) and man did they ever try to get us in a Honda. Umm.. no? LOL

I also had some local Chevrolet dealer spam me on Twitter a few months ago asking what it would take to get me to "upgrade" to a Chevy. Uhh... :rofl:

On 1/7/2018 at 11:09 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Just to put into perspective, I was quoted a difference of $200 between a paint job and a wrap job of the same design.  $50 extra if I wanted my backplate wrapped as well.

My understanding is that a high end wrap will cost around $300 and any certified paint job will cost around $500. $300 for a sticker feels expensive, but it's 40% less than paint 

Just now, TheGoalNet said:

My understanding is that a high end wrap will cost around $300 and any certified paint job will cost around $500. $300 for a sticker feels expensive, but it's 40% less than paint 

That's what has been holding me back from trying a wrap. For me, the price difference between a wrap and paint is about $50. 

7 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

That's what has been holding me back from trying a wrap. For me, the price difference between a wrap and paint is about $50. 

I can see that with Potvin being the case. Isn't something your Star Wars helmet more complicated and more expensive to paint? 

4 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I can see that with Potvin being the case. Isn't something your Star Wars helmet more complicated and more expensive to paint? 

I actually just checked and you're right. The Potvin was $300, the Star Wars mask was $470 (that includes powder-coating for both cages). I thought I remembered it being high-300s. Nevermind, carry on :) 

• Haha 1

So far - really good. I have scuffs from pucks on the vinyl but no tear. I've had it on for a few months now and see both ice and roller pucks every few days.

The one flaw is that at the edge of the mask at one location is curling back a little. It's from me putting the mask in the mask bag and not from use.

I spent like $15 in vinyl wrap and a few bucks more for a big decal of a rampart lion (my mask is Scotland flag themed).

mythical-clipart-scottish-2.jpg

19 minutes ago, MTH said:

So far - really good. I have scuffs from pucks on the vinyl but no tear. I've had it on for a few months now and see both ice and roller pucks every few days.

The one flaw is that at the edge of the mask at one location is curling back a little. It's from me putting the mask in the mask bag and not from use.

I spent like $15 in vinyl wrap and a few bucks more for a big decal of a rampart lion (my mask is Scotland flag themed).

mythical-clipart-scottish-2.jpg

throw up some pics of your mask!

I have a wrap kit from Custom Cages (so not a full wrap, but probably 3/4 coverage) And it's held up great so far. With the benders I play with I average a shot to the head about every game, so far nothing more than a few scuffs on the decals, no rips, etc. One thing I have noticed though is bubbling. No matter how well you apply the wrap, it's gonna bubble eventually. 

16 hours ago, Pauly35or00 said:

A goalie I coach in Lacrosse recently got his mask wrapped in our team colours. Mario Design out of Barrie. They seems to do a majority of CHL masks. Works looks amazing in person and I don't think this guys process will allow for bubbling.

https://www.mariodesign.ca/goalie-mask-wraps

Anything from Barrie is bound to be great. 

• 4 months later...