New skates damaged

AMDG

So I got new skates (CCM Tacks 6092) and wore them for 3 or 4 games. Last night I took a slap shot off the instep where there is a gap in the cowling. It hurt but, hey it's goaltending, right? So I continued and played the game. Well, the pain got more noticeable during the game, so in a stoppage of play I took my blocker off and rubbed the skate along the instep. It was cracked! Yes, the skate was cracked!!! I couldn't believe it. After the game I realized that it was right where there's a gap in the cowling.  

I've taken it to my relatively local shop and they told me CCM will warranty it probably replacing the skates. I'm not too confident in these CCM and when I asked about going back to Bauer (I've always worn Bauer Supremes until now) he told me that they were no more protective than the CCMs. He only has the Bauer s170 in stock but he can get the s190 skates. He stated that these are more protective than the s170.

Is it just me, or are skates supposed to protect the feet from shots?? I know that the Bauers don't have the cowling anymore, but do they protect from shots or are we supposed to Butterfly never exposing the side of the skates?

Looking on some advice on what direction to go with getting skates that protect my feet. Anyone else have this problem?

Your foot is okay, right?

Whilst no cracks in my VH, episodes like that were EXACTLY why I went back to wearing a full cowling on my skates. I took a shot that hobbled me for a bit. I am not making kick saves, but there is the occasion where the skate is the place where the skate will make the save! 

My advise will not be popular here: get a real cowling that covers the skate. When you get your replacement, order a real cowling and Step steel. 

I hope CCM does not say “sorry, but this skate was damaged whilst playing hockey”. 

I've read CCM had alot of problems with cowlings cracking, but I thought the issue was fixed. Maybe not? Or maybe you got an older pair? Or maybe just bad luck?

That said, I think there should be some kind of waranty to cover that within a certain timeframe? And even tho CCM has got a bad rep the last few years with their cowlings, I still can't imagine it really happens that often? I mean, whats the chances of it happening to you twice?

http://goaliestore.com/board/forum/equipment/equipment-forum/3188503-ccm-rbz-80-90-cowling-issues

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockeygoalies/comments/4k7plq/cowling_on_ccm_rbz_skates/

Shots to the side of skate sould be due to big stack on toe laces in combination with leather straps which some of us are used to. Skate is more exposed. In modern elastic solutiuons (e.g. smartstrap), there is not so big stack and skate is not to far from the pad, so there should be fewer shots to the skate. When I look at young goalies, they wore pads pretty tight (of course not like we used to 20  years ago, but you get the point).

I´m not advocating cowling-less (still use vertexx cowling and leather straps), just another opinion...

My foot is fully recovered.  Thank you very much.  I did have to avoid putting pressure on it for a day.  But today it's pretty much back to normal.  I guess the brunt was taken by the skate.

The break did happen on the boot, but it also cracked the thin part of the cowling right on top of where it cracked the boot, the cowling part that makes the "window" giving access to the boot.  Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the skate.  I brought them real quick back to the store.  They informed me that it would be warrantied, they just don't know if CCM will replace it new or repair it.  If they replace it, the store will give me credit towards any skate if I want to change.  Since I have my old skates still, I just left them there.  They said I could continue using them, but I just really don't feel like playing while worrying about getting another shot to that weak spot (or any other that may exist).

So do you guys know whether this happens with the new Bauers that have no cowling/or built in cowling?  Are they better protected?  Is the s190 better protection than the s170?

Thank you guys for the help.  I appreciate it.

The S190 will be a better skate than the S170. Just like the 1S will be better than the S190.

The Bauer's will probably encounter the same level of protection in that area, as in very little. Sure, the boots are composite and stiff and that deflects some damage, but it's not the same as a full cowling.

Gear is definitely built towards the butterfly, never exposing the side of your foot, type style. It's been like that for a while, though it's far more prevalent now with the minimal/no cowling skates that CCM/Bauer are making.

Equipment issues aside, you may need to tailor your game around your new gear, or look into getting an older style skate/cowling to meet your needs.

4 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

The S190 will be a better skate than the S170. Just like the 1S will be better than the S190.

The Bauer's will probably encounter the same level of protection in that area, as in very little. Sure, the boots are composite and stiff and that deflects some damage, but it's not the same as a full cowling.

Gear is definitely built towards the butterfly, never exposing the side of your foot, type style. It's been like that for a while, though it's far more prevalent now with the minimal/no cowling skates that CCM/Bauer are making.

Equipment issues aside, you may need to tailor your game around your new gear, or look into getting an older style skate/cowling to meet your needs.

Agreed w/ @coopaloop1234 here on both fronts. I have the S190s and they are a much better skate than the S170.

Also, I play a style that doesn't leave me open to many opportunities for this sort of thing to happen. Taken a couple shots off the toes on the S190s but nothing off the instep or anything. Looks like it's either adjust to the equipment and how it is intended to be used (from a style perspective) or get some full cowlings.

Wow - I never thought that protection would decrease as new models are rolled out and that my old skates are better protected than the new ones.  I guess I will look at options for cowlings.  Or maybe older model skates that still have the full cowling?  How are the Bauer Reactors?  It looks like they have a full cowling.  Not sure what sizes are out there.  Any other skates with full cowlings that you guys know?

36 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I really loved the Vaughn GX-1, but the GX-2 is stiffer. But if you are in the sweet spot on their cowlings (size 7-8 on the small, size 9 or so for their large cowling), you’d be fully protected in that cowling. You can get Step for that cowl, as well.

What is "Step"?  

Could I put a cowling from another manufacturer on a CCM skate?  Are cowlings only able to match up to their manufacturer's skates?  Maybe this is a stupid question . . . 

What if you were to continue with the newer style with very little/no cowling, and modified a pair of those shot blockers that players use? So the shot blocker would be attached to the cowling and to the laces? In my opinion that would be the best way to have the same level if not more protection on a modern skate. You could use the shot blocker without modifying it, or modify it so it just covers the inside portion of the skate. You use little foam spacers as a cushion between the shot blocker and the skate, and you also thermoform the shotblockker to the skate for a tighter fit

9DC9B3B7-8124-4FAC-875F-A6585CC1494C.jpeg

On 2018-01-10 at 3:25 AM, estogoalie said:

I've read CCM had alot of problems with cowlings cracking, but I thought the issue was fixed. Maybe not? Or maybe you got an older pair? Or maybe just bad luck?

That said, I think there should be some kind of waranty to cover that within a certain timeframe? And even tho CCM has got a bad rep the last few years with their cowlings, I still can't imagine it really happens that often? I mean, whats the chances of it happening to you twice?

http://goaliestore.com/board/forum/equipment/equipment-forum/3188503-ccm-rbz-80-90-cowling-issues

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockeygoalies/comments/4k7plq/cowling_on_ccm_rbz_skates/

Hey I posted in that GSBB thread. I bought a pair of RBZ on sale but canceled it when I found out about the cowling issues. I read about a newer designed cowling but they said it was not a new cowling snd that they would warranty it once for breakage. I figured my 10 year old RBKs would do better than that, and so far, I've been right.

Hopefully they do right by you and replace them.

Archived