Misadventures of KootenayKeeper

KootenayKeeper

I bought a GoPro clone, the ODRVM 7200 action cam & accessories for $125 on Amazon.ca a few weeks ago. Since then I've recorded a few games and have been editing them with iMovie on my iPad mini.

iMovie is a snap to use and has all the features I need. But the process hasn't been entirely smooth, mostly owing to shortage of memory on my iPad and having to move things between my PC and Mac mini because of Apple's restricted environment. Anyway, the big advantage of the iPad is that I can edit anywhere, like in bed at 3am. I tried Filmora but it would cost $100 and tie me physically to the PC to edit.

So without further ado, here is the link to my first video effort. It is the “overtime” portion of my Saturday night hockey group, the Afterburners. Most groups in town play last goal wins with everyone on the ice, no offsides. That's what you'll see here. Future videos will be of the regular game portion.

I've got several game videos done so I'll start posting them here in chronological order.

A little background on me. I'm 57 and been playing goal since 32. I played goal previously at age 27 for a couple of years using rented gear, but then played out for a few years. my fav goalies growing up were Tony Esposito and Kirk McLean. I try to play a modern style, ie. butterfly, since that's what I see around me.

I've been through a few sets of gear but my current setup is:

• Pads - Brian's Gnetik 5.5 33+1.5 and Vaughn V3 35+1 Ice berg graphics
  • Gloves - Vaughn V4 7700 gloves
  • C/A - Simmons 996
  • Mask - Sportmask Mage RS with a Bauer dangler
  • Pants - McKenney 870
  • Skates - RBK 3K
  • Other - Maltese combo neck protector, Vaughn jock, Passau knee pads

The goalie forums have been a big influence on several purchases, either from direct purchase from a forum member or from recommendations within.

First up, my Wednesday night group, the Ice Kings. There's actually a fair overlap with the Afterburners group in the previous video. We have a 90 minute slot, play mini-games to 5 goals and then the goalies switch ends. I leave the cam in place so you'll see the other goalie as well but that's me at the start of the game. And in fine Kaslo tradition, last goal wins, but in this video the battery died before the end of the game.

21 hours ago, insertnamehere said:

@KootenayKeeper 57? You move like you're half that age! 

Well, I'm Asian... :-) My wife jokes that I'll just wake up one day and look like an old man.

18 hours ago, RichMan said:

I love how in the first video, #79 checks you in your crease like it's a payback, punk lolll

Yeah at the time I didn't know why he did that either and then I saw in the video that he tripped on my leg pad. He's a good guy but competitive. We play tennis together in summer.

2 hours ago, Znowleopard said:

Wow you are good, im 19 and i feel slow and clunky compared to you(to be fair ive played for 4 months now, so kinda expected).

Ah, to be young again. Welcome to the goalie ranks. Improvements come quicker with youth and enthusiasm.

1 hour ago, Fullright said:

Glad to see another goalie putting his video up.

Nice job! You look like you started playing net as a kid. 

Thanks. I wish I played as a kid. I never played organized hockey, just shinny. But I played goalie in ball hockey a lot. Too much running (skating) playing out! My first goal net was an old dining table with a blanket wrapped around the sides. We had an unfinished basement then and used to take shots on each other for hours.

New video from Dec 27, 2017 with the same group. The other goalie in this video is the other regular goalie for this ice time. 

I'm wearing my Vaughns in this one. They’re softer and easier on my ankles when in the RVH, so I will wear these when I'm feeling tired. And with the softer thigh rise and top strap, they close up better but with slight under rotation. The Brian's rotate perfectly but are more V-shaped in front of me and sometimes I get my stick caught underneath them.

Last game of 2017. Our usual start time is 7:45pm but for New Year's eve eve, we played at 4:00pm instead, and followed it up with a pot luck dinner in the dressing room. Actually, a post game meal in the dressing room is a usual part of this ice time. Each player has to cook once in the season. My turn in February 17th. Any suggestions?

Tonight's main dish was chicken on Belgian waffles with gravy and maple syrup. I was a bit skeptical but it was really good, a nice combination of sweet and savoury. See for yourself.

IMG_7201.thumb.JPG.0fcaaeca5580f9480ddfc0c1d286fb6d.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a bunch of videos for 2018 so I'll just start posting them. Hope it's not too overwhelming. But thanks for watching and any comments.

I didn't get the "last goal" overtime because my battery died. Usually with the 15 minute break with the flood at halftime, the battery lasts long enough, but not tonight.

There's a play right at the beginning where I lose the puck in my feet. Somehow I don't kick it in myself, but it seems like this has been happening to me a lot lately.

Game #1

I hated the goal at the 1:30 mark. Backhand spinarama through the 5-hole. Just get the stick down, dammit. I think white was up 2-1 at the time and we ultimately lost the first game 5-3. Sometimes a bad goal just opens the flood gates.

I got beat at 0:59 and 1:59 by the same player. First, hard to the net and tip and second, a good shot to catcher side.

The goal at 2:15 I was tracking the play across to my left. But I lost my depth and got beat long side. Then a leaky goal at 2:30 where I didn't get my pad down hard on the ice.

Game #2

I'm at the other end but lost that one 5-2.

Game #3

0-3 on the night. Breakaway at 4:27; shot low stick at 5:05, glove side 5:18, shot long side 5:25 (him again) followed by a skyward glance. Thankfully the battery died before the end of the session as I'm pretty sure I lost the overtime as well.

On 1/22/2018 at 12:06 AM, KootenayKeeper said:

Last game of 2017. Our usual start time is 7:45pm but for New Year's eve eve, we played at 4:00pm instead, and followed it up with a pot luck dinner in the dressing room. Actually, a post game meal in the dressing room is a usual part of this ice time. Each player has to cook once in the season. My turn in February 17th. Any suggestions?

Tonight's main dish was chicken on Belgian waffles with gravy and maple syrup. I was a bit skeptical but it was really good, a nice combination of sweet and savoury. See for yourself.

IMG_7201.thumb.JPG.0fcaaeca5580f9480ddfc0c1d286fb6d.JPG

How ‘boot Rogan Josh for your cooked meal?

17 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

How ‘boot Rogan Josh for your cooked meal?

Funny you should say that because I was just discussing this with my wife and decided on beef curry. She loves Indian food and has been making big batches of it lately. So I (she) can make it in advance and I just have to reheat.

9 minutes ago, KootenayKeeper said:

Funny you should say that because I was just discussing this with my wife and decided on beef curry. She loves Indian food and has been making big batches of it lately. So I (she) can make it in advance and I just have to reheat.

Beef curry could be controversial if you have Hindus on your team,  but not like pork curry (as pork is generally not consumed in India). Rogan Josh goes well with chicken or Lamb. 

37 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Beef curry could be controversial if you have Hindus on your team,  but not like pork curry (as pork is generally not consumed in India). Rogan Josh goes well with chicken or Lamb. 

Ha, not a problem. I'm the only visible minority person in the room. Our little town is very white. Is that the correct term? More likely issue would be if there are any vegetarians or vegans. There isn't. But I wouldn't have a problem with lamb. Baaa baaa.

30 minutes ago, KootenayKeeper said:

Ha, not a problem. I'm the only visible minority person in the room. Our little town is very white. Is that the correct term? More likely issue would be if there are any vegetarians or vegans. There isn't. But I wouldn't have a problem with lamb. Baaa baaa.

HE HE HE!!!! Highly Caucasian would possibly be the politically correct term...

Lamb is probably a universal protein, meaning that is is one of the few animals not prohibited by ANY religion for consumption. Can’t say the same for beef or pork...

4 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

HE HE HE!!!! Highly Caucasian would possibly be the politically correct term...

Lamb is probably a universal protein, meaning that is is one of the few animals not prohibited by ANY religion for consumption. Can’t say the same for beef or pork...

We had meatballs last nights so I'm pretty safe.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming... :-)

Here's the video from my January 20th Afterburners game. The other goalie is the 3rd member of our goalie rotation this year so we play 2 weeks, and sit 1 week. Though the other other goalie was skating out as a defenceman tonight.

I hate giving up a goal on the first shot. Tonight I got scored on the first shot after the flood, and on the first shot of a new mini-game by the same guy on similar plays. The first was a cross crease feed on my glove side at 3:12, and the second was on the stick side at 6:25.

We (the goalies) split the first two games, and it was like 4-3 or 4-4 in the third game for green. So green won 2 games but white got the overtime win and bragging rights.

Archived