TGN Spec

TheGoalNet

6 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Red Optiks are gone. But I have all the pictures. Stock with all the flaps, boot strap, etc is 4.9 LBS. I am in at 4.4 LBS. All on the same scale. My shorter 1S pads that had knee flaps and boot straps removed came in at 4.6lbs. 

Execellent. For as much flak as you've caught on IG for the graphic and material choice (albeit some can't tell the difference between matte jenpro and cordora) you've taken a crotch rocket and made a cafe racer out of it. Everything you need and nothing you don't. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I don't see anything wrong with them.  Its a decent minimalist graphic.

cnQTkia.jpg.78b5515ce7578550420b4c02ad3489ec.jpg

TGN mentioning that it was loosely based off of the potvin graphic makes more sense. Definitely makes it seem better, but I can't say I'm still the biggest fan of it though.

1 hour ago, Znowleopard said:

you know what , now i see them up close i dig them, they do look good

Hah, I’m glad I’m converted someone... but I love the honesty. It’s actually kind of nice that people don’t love it. Good to know people don’t brown nose! 

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Hah, I’m glad I’m converted someone... but I love the honesty. It’s actually kind of nice that people don’t love it. Good to know people don’t brown nose! 

I honestly love what you’re doing with them and your idea behind it all, but like some of the others I can’t say I’m a fan of the graphic, I like the simplicity of it but I think that the graphic on the boot and shin is too simple/geometric. Just my two cents

On 3/19/2018 at 7:46 PM, TheGoalNet said:

I guess I lost my sense of style? Getting Filleted for these on the gram! 

A1123402-8082-4570-98C2-D20C0BB4E883.jpeg

Would love to take these for a spin. Well done!

Re: graphic. Not piling on here but I get some of the “basic” comments. Maybe some contrast (a third color, etc) outlining the top of the red might do the trick - for me at least...

or if you could do a “gradient” color change from darker red to lighter red from base to tips (more of a printing technique but just throwing out ideas).

I’d wear these as is but just my 2 cents for next gen

@TheGoalNet Quick question on your professor strap... what was the thinking on having it run in front of the inner calf wrap instead of behind it?

If i recall correctly it's usually positioned behind... or maybe it's just because the SLRs don't have an inner calf wrap like the Optiks. So same position, but addition of the inner calf wrap is messing w/ my perception.

@TheGoalNet I most definitely applaud what you are doing here - maxing out the specs for performance. On the weight alone you have clearly succeeded. Red and black isn’t really my favorite color combo but I personally like the graphic. I think the problem on IG was the initial pictures that you posted. The mock-up looked sick and the pads look way better in your videos. I really just think those first pics did not do them justice. 

On 3/28/2018 at 7:59 AM, Hills said:

I still hate that I wasn't able to get red primo on the sliding surface because of your pads... then you go and order these :P

COULDN'T YOU HAVE DONE THAT FROM THE START?!?!?!?! 

Nope. I wasn’t allowed a custom graphic or mods with the early access. The purpose was stock for review purposes. I liked Optik so much I bought a second set. 

If I would have been allowed red primo again, I would have another almost all red graphic

On 3/28/2018 at 10:12 AM, BadAngle41 said:

@TheGoalNet Quick question on your professor strap... what was the thinking on having it run in front of the inner calf wrap instead of behind it?

If i recall correctly it's usually positioned behind... or maybe it's just because the SLRs don't have an inner calf wrap like the Optiks. So same position, but addition of the inner calf wrap is messing w/ my perception.

Ease of mods and not commiting to it. This pad is essentially a prototype for what I would design if I was a gear designer as Brian’s 

Since I couldn’t try everything before ordering, I have 2 completely different sets of straps to tinker with 

This strapping and stock. So, I’ll probably mess around with some other configurations 

On 3/28/2018 at 3:54 PM, Punisher Goalie said:

@TheGoalNet I most definitely applaud what you are doing here - maxing out the specs for performance. On the weight alone you have clearly succeeded. Red and black isn’t really my favorite color combo but I personally like the graphic. I think the problem on IG was the initial pictures that you posted. The mock-up looked sick and the pads look way better in your videos. I really just think those first pics did not do them justice. 

Hahaha... so we can blame the hate on the pics @TGC-Rance sent me? 

From my standpoint, I get that I did something bold! I knew people would freak out about the cordura. 

However, I personally think the graphic minimalist tribute on the Potvin and is pure Brian’s at the same time. I love how it turned out. Obviously when I buy gear, I want to create a buzz and drive people to our website. There’s a certain marketing aspect I try to maintain. Not that it matters I guess, but I’m honestly shocked at the graphics poor reception 

I wanted this to be a surprise, so I veiled the graphic with the Potvin mock-up... it’s interesting you think that contributed to the negativity 

Your also not the first person to say the video showed it better than the original images 

All a learning experience 

9 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Hahaha... so we can blame the hate on the pics @TGC-Rance sent me? 

From my standpoint, I get that I did something bold! I knew people would freak out about the cordura. 

However, I personally think the graphic minimalist tribute on the Potvin and is pure Brian’s at the same time. I love how it turned out. Obviously when I buy gear, I want to create a buzz and drive people to our website. There’s a certain marketing aspect I try to maintain. Not that it matters I guess, but I’m honestly shocked at the graphics poor reception 

I wanted this to be a surprise, so I veiled the graphic with the Potvin mock-up... it’s interesting you think that contributed to the negativity 

Your also not the first person to say the video showed it better than the original images 

All a learning experience 

Haha no of course I wouldn’t blame him, but I do really think that the Cordura just didn’t look appealing in those photos. Guess it was the lighting or whatever. 

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

To anyone else with a preofessor strap... how tight are you using it?

Snug, I wear big knee pads

I like the professor strap + Price style knee block elastic strapping.  The open knee lets the pad rotate easily, while the professor strap keeps my leg locked in.
The challenge in the past was that I'd have to pick one:

1. Open knee with less feeling and control of the pad
  2. Run the knee elastic straight across for better feel, but inhibit pad rotation

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

To anyone else with a preofessor strap... how tight are you using it?

I don't go too tight with it. I run the knee elastic down to the calf. The way I view the professor strap is like a an emergency stop. I like having some flexibility in the knee elastic, which makes me feel like I have some freedom of movement, but the rigid professor strap kicks in for those big stretches or scrambles where I'm flailing around to keep my knee from coming off the block.

Wore the TGN Spec in it's first game last night. I had previously only worn it to pick up and practice sessions. My team doesn't know too much about TGN. But 2-3 guys loved them and 2-3 guys asked me why my new pads looked like cheap street hockey pads. Through all the gear I have tested in the past 12 months, I have never gotten a comment besides "new gear?" "What are you demoing now?". This graphic is a conversation starter. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived