Let's Talk Skates

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 39yrs old, originally self taught and had not style.  Throughout the years I have defined my style and worked to get better. However, there are some habits that will probably stay with me. That alone is enough for me to stay with cowlings. I never use a kick save but just know that to get to the puck I may have to throw any part of my body in front of it including the instep of my foot.

Also, I think for us beer leaguers there are many different speeds to the game we play at. I can handle a decent pace (played some junior and senior. Also play with ex minor leaguers once in awhile) but when you play a few weeks at one level, then go on the ice with more skill and quickness, I find for awhile I'm a split second behind. I can recall telling my body to pick up the pace to arrive on time before the shot. So, if you are a shade behind the play, chances are a desperate save may come into play and that could be your foot.

2 hours ago, daffy said:

I'm 39yrs old, originally self taught and had not style.  Throughout the years I have defined my style and worked to get better. However, there are some habits that will probably stay with me. That alone is enough for me to stay with cowlings. I never use a kick save but just know that to get to the puck I may have to throw any part of my body in front of it including the instep of my foot.

Also, I think for us beer leaguers there are many different speeds to the game we play at. I can handle a decent pace (played some junior and senior. Also play with ex minor leaguers once in awhile) but when you play a few weeks at one level, then go on the ice with more skill and quickness, I find for awhile I'm a split second behind. I can recall telling my body to pick up the pace to arrive on time before the shot. So, if you are a shade behind the play, chances are a desperate save may come into play and that could be your foot.

I play with literally adult beginners to ex-pros! You described me, as well.

On 2017-05-03 at 3:40 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Well what you said directly goes against what I posted.  ...

SBR - please don't take this personally - it is my opinion of the cowlingless skate "intrepretation"

I realize what I said was not in agreement with what you said. Here's another way to look at it though. You said:

"…but if you're going to purposefully turn your foot to make these kinds of classic skate saves then you shouldn't be in a skate without a cowling.  They're not meant for that.”

For a person like me, who is inclined to make the odd skate save, that implies I shouldn't be wearing these skates. Fair enough, but does VH (or Bauer) have a disclaimer stating that? Without any prior knowledge, a person could assume, especially based on the price tag, these skates would do everything a "regular" goalie skate would/could do and more*. Others have questioned the protection of the cowlingless skate on this and other forums and I have never heard from a rep or anyone else for that matter that these skates are to be used only in a certain way.

It seems to me that some companies have come out with a "revolutionary" skate, charge a huge amount and then only after the fact decide you can only make certain types of saves with (although it wouldn't appear they have made this fact public). That's like the goalie stick that will never break - as long as you only use it with a nerf puck

*and quite frankly that is/was my assumption

49 minutes ago, Ghostender said:

SBR - please don't take this personally - it is my opinion of the cowlingless skate "intrepretation"

I realize what I said was not in agreement with what you said. Here's another way to look at it though. You said:

"…but if you're going to purposefully turn your foot to make these kinds of classic skate saves then you shouldn't be in a skate without a cowling.  They're not meant for that.”

For a person like me, who is inclined to make the odd skate save, that implies I shouldn't be wearing these skates. Fair enough, but does VH (or Bauer) have a disclaimer stating that? Without any prior knowledge, a person could assume, especially based on the price tag, these skates would do everything a "regular" goalie skate would/could do and more*. Others have questioned the protection of the cowlingless skate on this and other forums and I have never heard from a rep or anyone else for that matter that these skates are to be used only in a certain way.

It seems to me that some companies have come out with a "revolutionary" skate, charge a huge amount and then only after the fact decide you can only make certain types of saves with (although it wouldn't appear they have made this fact public). That's like the goalie stick that will never break - as long as you only use it with a nerf puck

*and quite frankly that is/was my assumption

I don't take anything personally my man.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion :chug:.  

Honestly they look the same as the previous G series just with a composite boot, cowling/holder are the same.  I always found Graf's to be somewhat heavy and bulky and the boot doesn't come up high enough on my ankle.  I've been in Bauer's since the Vertexx cowling came out and haven't come across anything yet thats made me want to switch.

I have a couple questions that I'll throw into one thread. I've been trying for a few seasons now to switch to newer style cowlings out of my old Bauer 7000 cowlings. I wear a Graf 750 Narrow width boot. I like the old cowlings for the length of the blade and the higher inside protection which actually supports my unstable (physiotherapist calls it that) ankle from collapsing inward. Bunnyman was kind enough to sell me a new set of Vaughn cowlings. Like the Vaughn for the length of blade and very much like the old 7000. The issue though is when I put my boot into them, there is lots of room width wise. I did a bunch of measurements compared to the old Bauers and they don't seem much wider. I think the old bauers came up higher and we're curved inward to snug up the boot.

Anyway, I noticed on my old Bauer cowlings there is some foam around the heel, inside edge and the toe. I have some thinner mask foam around. I stuck some in the Vaughn cowling and seems to snug up the boot. Do you guys think this will work or once on the ice the cowlings will feel too big or clumsy? My boots are size 8 and the cowlings are the smaller size (since Vaughn only makes 2 sizes). I'm also concerned about my boot being centre in the cowling. Pic attached to show the foam in old Bauer cowling.

My next question is regarding the unstable (aka weak) ankles. Since all the new cowlings are cut lower, would switching to a composite boot that is stiff do the same things as the old higher Bauer cowling? To support the ankle? The 750s feel great but don't have solid side panels like the 7500.

IMG_20170513_211326.jpg

I don't know for sure but I would think that the newer composite boots with low/ no cowling would do better for your ankles than an older softer boot with a high cowling.  I have never worn anything new on the ice as I don't like how stiff the new skates are.  My suggestion would be to go try one on and see how you like it.  If it works for you give it a shot.  If it doesn't at least then you know.

I made switch from older Graf Elite model with high side of cowling like you have on the photo to Bauer 100LE some years ago. In my personal opinion stiff boot definitly help with ankle stability. I used to tie the laces firmly up to the top (narrow foot with high instep), but with stiff boot I can have top two eyelets realy loose.

7 hours ago, mik said:

I made switch from older Graf Elite model with high side of cowling like you have on the photo to Bauer 100LE some years ago. In my personal opinion stiff boot definitly help with ankle stability. I used to tie the laces firmly up to the top (narrow foot with high instep), but with stiff boot I can have top two eyelets realy loose.

The VH skates are so stiff, yet form-fitting that I could wear them very loosely laced. I leave out the top eyelet and loosely tie the skate. I get the support I need with the  ability to move my ankle. I still like how the GX-1 cowling goes up for max protection. 

Stiffer boot sounds like the way to go. I remember as a kid having to wear micron molders as a forward. The all plastic boot helped me out. Got laughed at a lot but hey at least I could skate. I'd like to try out a pair of Graf 7500 boots if I can find them. Huge back yard project this summer means less money on gear. 

I'm with Bunnyman, like the extra protection and I can't give up that style cowling altogether just yet.

18 hours ago, daffy said:

Stiffer boot sounds like the way to go. I remember as a kid having to wear micron molders as a forward. The all plastic boot helped me out. Got laughed at a lot but hey at least I could skate. I'd like to try out a pair of Graf 7500 boots if I can find them. Huge back yard project this summer means less money on gear. 

I'm with Bunnyman, like the extra protection and I can't give up that style cowling altogether just yet.

If we are reminiscing - Lange goalie skates with the removable liners were like wearing slippers.

Archived