Let's Talk Skates

I enjoyed the history lesson. Good read.

I had my skate sharpener use his cross grinder on the cowling again. He did this when I first got the skates. He did two passes over the protruding area today. I may have him do more next time I go for a sharpening. Seems to be plenty more I can have removed. It is quite a robust cowling. I may also try to use some hand tools to remove some of the plastic by the toe where it meets up with the steel. We’ll see how the skates do like this for now. I’ll probably have to do some research on overdrive blades. sounds like they’re as much about preventing injury as they are for gaining an advantage. Their website is very comprehensive, I didn’t have the energy to read it all when I first looked at it.

I’ll do some searches myself, but do you have any good links to overdrive blades in use @bunnyman666?

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because I want a cowling that actually goes up the inside of the foot. Those cowlings, just like most of the other modern versions of cowlings leave that area exposed. If that wasn’t an issue, I’d just get new style Graf cowlings put on my boots or new Graf style skates entirely. The Vaughn GX1 seems to be a good option as it has the removable blade, higher attack angle AND inside of the foot protection. I do play a style of goaltending that occasionally exposes my inside foot. If you look at some of the pics in this thread you’ll see some puck marks high up on the cowling. 

22 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Because I want a cowling that actually goes up the inside of the foot. Those cowlings, just like most of the other modern versions of cowlings leave that area exposed. If that wasn’t an issue, I’d just get new style Graf cowlings put on my boots or new Graf style skates entirely. The Vaughn GX1 seems to be a good option as it has the removable blade, higher attack angle AND inside of the foot protection. I do play a style of goaltending that occasionally exposes my inside foot. If you look at some of the pics in this thread you’ll see some puck marks high up on the cowling. 

What is your non-skate shoe size?  I'm a 12 US or 46 Euro and I have a set of new Vaughn GX1's that are too small for me (I bought them hoping to jam my feet in).  I'd let them go cheap. $100 USD plus shipping to get them out of the basement :)

IMG_6511.jpg

IMG_6512.jpg

IMG_6513.jpg

45 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Gotcha.  Not gonna lie, I just skimmed through the thread, didn't read it all.

47 minutes ago, beansbats said:

What is your non-skate shoe size?  I'm a 12 US or 46 Euro and I have a set of new Vaughn GX1's that are too small for me (I bought them hoping to jam my feet in).  I'd let them go cheap. $100 USD plus shipping to get them out of the basement :)

@WillyGrips13 Jump on this!!!! Your style of cowling and you’re in the sweet spot for these guys just for the cowling!!!

I think they fit like a US 11 shoe, and I'm not sure about what size Vaughn actually called these.  If they had been my only option, I could shove my feet into them, and they have a wide toe box.  Either way, if the skate fits you, great.  Otherwise you pillage the cowling and put it on your boot.

Let me know if you have questions.

-steve

Isn’t the size on the front of the tongue? If the 43EU 9UK sizing on the tag in the picture represents the corresponding shoe size and not the actual skate size, then that’s a size US8 skate and too small for me. I know you guys are saying I can take the cowling off and it would fit my boot, but I’d hate to see the boot go unused. I’d think you’d be able to get what you’re asking for or more on eBay for those skates. Now if they’re a size 10, then we’re talking. I’d then use the entire skate. Otherwise I’d look into @daffy‘s cowlings that he got from @bunnyman666 if I wanted the cowlings only.

11 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Isn’t the size on the front of the tongue? If the 43EU 9UK sizing on the tag in the picture represents the corresponding shoe size and not the actual skate size, then that’s a size US8 skate and too small for me. I know you guys are saying I can take the cowling off and it would fit my boot, but I’d hate to see the boot go unused. I’d think you’d be able to get what you’re asking for or more on eBay for those skates. Now if they’re a size 10, then we’re talking. I’d then use the entire skate. Otherwise I’d look into @daffy‘s cowlings that he got from @bunnyman666 if I wanted the cowlings only.

Vaughn cowlings are 6-8 and 8.5-11 or something like that; THAT is why I say you’re in the sweet spotfor the cowling. At a C-note, SELL the boot and then it won’t go unused!

38 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Vaughn sizing is strange, and the size on the tongue does not correspond reality at all.  No worries if you don't think they'll work, I just thought I'd offer :)

I do not understand why Vaughn would choose such a set-up. I had ordered the GX3, I'm a size 9 but the friggin cowling was like a 12. They felt like skis on my feet!! I returned them back to the store and got a refund. That's when I broke and gave in to the Bauer Vapors.

All the other companies have coinciding cowling and boot sizes. Vaughn made a bad decision on this one. I can't see their skates production line lasting very long.

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

I do not understand why Vaughn would choose such a set-up. I had ordered the GX3, I'm a size 9 but the friggin cowling was like a 12. They felt like skis on my feet!! I returned them back to the store and got a refund. That's when I broke and gave in to the Bauer Vapors.

All the other companies have coinciding cowling and boot sizes. Vaughn made a bad decision on this one. I can't see their skates production line lasting very long.

They need to make molds to produce the plastic cowling.  I think it's upwards of $50k per pair, per size.

I'm wondering if they will take the Graf molds and start using them if/when they release a GX4.

Vaughn only made two sizes of cowling. So the cowling on an 8.5 would be the same as the cowling on an 11. I did wear first generation Vaughn for a bit. I wore an 8.5 in the old Graf or Bauer and an 8 in the Vaughn because the toe box was so much wider. The only problem with the gen 1 cowling was the steel. They needed a ton of work to get them anywhere near a proper radius. I replaced my original steel with step steel. I'm not 100% positive, but I think the gen 2 and 3 have the step steel standard.

For the price, I'd grab the pair that beanbats is selling. If you don't like the boot or it doesn't fit, you can keep the cowling and make a couple bucks back on the boots. The UK 9 size seems to indicate they are a size 10 from what I can tell from other pics on the web

There is also these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vaughn-Pro-Stock-Goalie-Skate-Replacement-Cowlings-Size-10-2030/172292886463?hash=item281d74cfbf:g:XD8AAOSwA3tXoSB8

I've used this seller (got my catch gloves from him) - throw him an $80 offer and see what happens

I would also consider trolling facebook for a pair. I assume there are guys that like the boot, but not the blades

There are also a few pairs of new GX1 on ebay for around 150

6 hours ago, bc30 said:

Vaughn only made two sizes of cowling. So the cowling on an 8.5 would be the same as the cowling on an 11. I did wear first generation Vaughn for a bit. I wore an 8.5 in the old Graf or Bauer and an 8 in the Vaughn because the toe box was so much wider. The only problem with the gen 1 cowling was the steel. They needed a ton of work to get them anywhere near a proper radius. I replaced my original steel with step steel. I'm not 100% positive, but I think the gen 2 and 3 have the step steel standard.

For the price, I'd grab the pair that beanbats is selling. If you don't like the boot or it doesn't fit, you can keep the cowling and make a couple bucks back on the boots. The UK 9 size seems to indicate they are a size 10 from what I can tell from other pics on the web

There is also these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vaughn-Pro-Stock-Goalie-Skate-Replacement-Cowlings-Size-10-2030/172292886463?hash=item281d74cfbf:g:XD8AAOSwA3tXoSB8

I've used this seller (got my catch gloves from him) - throw him an $80 offer and see what happens

I would also consider trolling facebook for a pair. I assume there are guys that like the boot, but not the blades

There are also a few pairs of new GX1 on ebay for around 150

The GX-2 have step in three flavours (player radius, regular, and extreme); the GX-3 do not, as they have regular steel. Yep- the regular steel is concave. 

I bought a pair of Black Friday specials JUST to have another cowling AND a pair of Step Extremes as since I now can sharpen whenever I want, I am afraid that I will not have enough blade to last! Yep- the boots will be for sale here with my set of Kenesky/Brian’s glove set. 

Archived