G3 Legs removing shin padding/pillow?

oncogene

Just moved up from a set of G2 Classic Pro to G3 Pro. I never used the removable shin padding on the G2, took it out after the first 1/2 min I had them on back then.

Any G3 owner tried removing the non-removable G3 shin padding? I'm thinking I may be able to cut open from the top and slide the padding up & out? Then perhaps sew on some velcro on the opening just to be fancy.

Only first skate with G3 in a shinny to try things out so far. Biggest difference *in feel* so far is the G3 feels much tighter around the shin and ankles, even with wearing the shin-wrap velcro as loose as possible. 

The big actual *usage issue* is it's really tiring out my legs, esp my calves. I'm not 100% sure where the issue is but felt like it was the toe-elastic (Active Response Straps?). But the toe-elastics on the G2 & G3 are about the same length & strength (I replaced the G2 toe-elastics only a year ago). So I'm thinking it may actually be the shin-padding, since it essentially pushes my leg further away from the actual leg pads including the toe. So every time I drive down to b-fly and recover, I need to work against the toe-elastic a lot more. And perhaps since I'm only at skate size 6.5, the relatively shorter skates may make this matter even worse?

Any thoughts or comments? I'm somewhat handy with needles and threads... but certainly don't want to butcher the brand new pads if I don't have to...

Take the calf sling out of the holder that attaches it to the calf wedge. Seriously.

Untitled.thumb.png.1c3ee34200f2c5d047ee9e1c0d4ad0ae.png

I was encountering the same issue with my RGT pads when I got them. Felt too attached to my leg without any real give. Thought it was the ARS as well, or just them being new pads.

The second I separated the calf wrap with the landing area, it was night and day.

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Take the calf sling out of the holder that attaches it to the calf wedge. Seriously.

Untitled.thumb.png.1c3ee34200f2c5d047ee9e1c0d4ad0ae.png

I was encountering the same issue with my RGT pads when I got them. Felt too attached to my leg without any real give. Thought it was the ARS as well, or just them being new pads.

The second I separated the calf wrap with the landing area, it was night and day.

Thanks, I actually do the same with my G2. The G3's loop thingy on the calf wedge look kinda loose so I hadn't done the same yet.

After making this thread, I literally just tried that last night at home with the G3. It's hard to tell with just a tiny carpet at home but it kinda felt better.  Hope that IS the root-cause!

Unrelated note, definitely like the stronger & wider knee elastic/wrap on G3 vs G2. My knees are constantly falling out of the knee stacks on the G2 after 3.5 years of use.

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

@cwarnar If you like your pads a bit looser, this is the way to go. Even if you don't, doing this allows the calf wrap to move independently from the wedge/rest of the pad. It boosted my mobility considerably once I did it.

I just made the switch... hopefully try it out this week.  I also decided to try going with an open knee, I did this on my Passaus and loved it... I tried it the first time I wore my RGT's but I didn't have the knee pads, so they were super floppy

1 hour ago, oncogene said:

Thanks, I actually do the same with my G2. The G3's loop thingy on the calf wedge look kinda loose so I hadn't done the same yet.

After making this thread, I literally just tried that last night at home with the G3. It's hard to tell with just a tiny carpet at home but it kinda felt better.  Hope that IS the root-cause!

You're going to notice a lot less strain in the calf area. The symptoms you were describing were identical to what I was experiencing until I disconnected the two.

If I'm wrong, I'll eat a puck. :P

10 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I just made the switch... hopefully try it out this week.  I also decided to try going with an open knee, I did this on my Passaus and loved it... I tried it the first time I wore my RGT's but I didn't have the knee pads, so they were super floppy

I never even tried my pads with the closed knee. Got them home, removed the knee flap and never bothered.

First time using an open knee setup as well as knee pads. So some adjustment was needed, but I don't feel like it's too loose at all. I really wonder how I did the old school way now that I'm used to it.

45 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I never even tried my pads with the closed knee. Got them home, removed the knee flap and never bothered.

First time using an open knee setup as well as knee pads. So some adjustment was needed, but I don't feel like it's too loose at all. I really wonder how I did the old school way now that I'm used to it.

Same here with the open knee.

Used to have closed knee and without any other knee n thigh protection.  Got G2 and went straight with open knee and knee pads. Didnt need any time to adjust at all.

45 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Mine was just too loose without the knee pads... floppy as all hell.  No issues after I finally got my laundry bag

On 2/6/2018 at 12:29 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

You're going to notice a lot less strain in the calf area. The symptoms you were describing were identical to what I was experiencing until I disconnected the two.

If I'm wrong, I'll eat a puck. :P

Bad news... you don't get to eat a puck :)

Anyway, got to another shinny hockey session (that had nobody), with the leg wrap detached from the landing. Definitely felt much better on the feet & calf areas. Some very minor strain/soreness(?) still, but it's a brand-new stiff pads after all, so I think it's within expected level. And besides, it's not a normal pickup/game, but with my friend shooting and deking on me for like 40 min non-stop... I guess feeling some soreness is normal lol.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

hadn't considered that trick with the shins.  I'm going to give it a try, I love my G3s, but also felt it was too tight.  I also took the removable pillows out of the G2s.  Don't know why they changed that.

You'll love it... I've had mine separated the last 3 skates and I've noticed a significant difference with leg strain.  The only downside I've noticed is that the calf wing seems little more floppy... I gave up one goal standing up on the post as I couldn't get my legs close with the calf wings being flush

2 hours ago, cwarnar said:

You'll love it... I've had mine separated the last 3 skates and I've noticed a significant difference with leg strain.  The only downside I've noticed is that the calf wing seems little more floppy... I gave up one goal standing up on the post as I couldn't get my legs close with the calf wings being flush

They're not exactly a great stand up style pad. :P

Archived