estogoalie

Team name: funny or cool?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Team name: funny or cool?

• Team name cool, plays competitive
    • Team name cool, plays for fun
    • Team name funny, plays competitive
    • Team name funny, plays for fun

Just curious, does your team have a "cool" name, like "Sharks" or "Rockets"....or a "funny" name like "Puck You" or "The Pylons", etc.

...and as well, does your team play "seriously" (competitive, plays to win) or just for "fun" (don't care really who wins, maybe not even keeping score, etc.)

• 1 month later...
58 minutes ago, MTH said:

My one team has a rink supplied team name. We've won the league championship for the past 4 years (8 seasons).

A "rink supplied name"? Jesus, what kind of Communist league are you playing in?

Or is it like Repo Man, where all the teams just have a generic label on them?

repo.jpeg

My league provides names to teams coming out of beginner school.  If you come into the league as a fully formed team  you can pick your own name.  Some teams do reject the league name and come up with something better.  

I'd be happy to have a funny name team.  I'm in it for fun, and being on the Hatrick Swayzes or the Old Bald Guys team would be fine with me.

1 hour ago, jeff da goalie said:

My league provides names to teams coming out of beginner school.  If you come into the league as a fully formed team  you can pick your own name.  Some teams do reject the league name and come up with something better.  

I'd be happy to have a funny name team.  I'm in it for fun, and being on the Hatrick Swayzes or the Old Bald Guys team would be fine with me.

Same for us. Rookie league names are based on jersey colors. Black Aces, White Lightning, Golden Geese, Red Dogs were the four when I played in that division.

On 3/15/2018 at 3:07 PM, estogoalie said:

A "rink supplied name"? Jesus, what kind of Communist league are you playing in?

Or is it like Repo Man, where all the teams just have a generic label on them?

repo.jpeg

Dude. this made me laugh. 

Over 40 "beer league". So the teams are all beer names. They give you jerseys, so we're never the same color every season.

The league issued jerseys are lame but serve a purpose. Every player who pays and is actually on the team gets a jersey with their number recorded. So this way no 'is that guy on the team' events occur. The logo and all change season by season with 'winter 2018' or whatever season - screened on the jersey.

Eliminates the two teams wearing the same color. Also eliminates the few guys wearing other jerseys. At least everyone is in either team jersey during the game. Helps us old guys and our bad eyes and failing memory.

IMG_8621.thumb.JPG.c39e0ce624ddae4af84561882719ab6f.JPG

• 7 months later...

The team I started years ago were called the Hockey School Dropouts.  Yes, we played for fun.  We tried to win, but mostly for fun and the after party.  :)  We did manage to win 2 championships (back to back years!) and after we dropped the name to just Dropouts (and I had to cut my season short due to cancer) we won another one.  

The league I'm in now supplies jerseys and teams are named after NHL teams - Jets, Wings, Habs, Bruins, Sharks, Stars, Kings and Penguins.  The Jets wear Leafs colours and the Sharks wear Ducks colours but hey, who cares in the end?

I much prefer a funny team name regardless of team goals.

Archived