C/A Question

Srsieve

I played last night and ended up with a bruised elbow from hitting it on the ice during a desperation save.   Somehow my arm unit must have shifted enough that my elbow slipped out of the elbow pad.    I had this happen a few times with my old unit, so eventually I removed the stock elbow pads and ended up wearing player pads instead.   I never had player elbow pads move on me during play.    Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, what did you do to correct it?   Thanks!  

21 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Maybe you should adjust the arm straps tighter so the arms are more snug?

That is exactly what I was thinking of trying first.    I had them relatively loose so that the arms would be more mobile.   When I first got it, they were super tight and I could hardly bend my arms without the floaters binding things up.  I will have to tighten them up a bit to see if that helps.   Have to find a happy medium to where they will stay in place, yet not restrict my arm movement too much.   If not, I will just pull them out and go back to my player elbow pads underneath.  

When I was in my teens (40 years ago now) the CA of choice was the mighty Cooper SA 95 (see if this link works - http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/bp21/interesting/) with the bare plastic elbow caps – they really didn’t do much other than ensure any blood or other bodily fluids that may have been extruded after any kind of impact didn’t ooze onto the ice. TBH, when I first started it was “pond hockey” where I wore my winter jacket for a CA and honestly, there was little if any difference in protection.

At that time, I fell on my elbow during a backwards skating exercise, ended up with water on the joint and have had sensitive elbows since.

Fast forward ~ 40 years, I am now using a Bauer CA. First think I did was retrofit some extra padding (see attached images). The pad shown in the image is ~2" thick sandwich of duel density foam housed in a comfy terry-cloth shell that Velcro’s into the existing elbow pad The foam can be removed and the covers washed whenever desired – although I apparently don’t do that enough.

Edit: sorry images are so big - I need to figure out how to get them smaller

IMG_20170314_163422615.jpg

IMG_20170314_163545378.jpg

Interesting.   I played again on Tuesday with the arms tightened and it seemed to stay in place very well.    For peace of mind, I may just go back to using the player elbow pads, as they are very comfortable, and I never have to worry about them slipping out of position.    Since they are removable by default, I can also wash them after each game, which is a bonus.     

On 3/14/2017 at 10:45 AM, Srsieve said:

That is exactly what I was thinking of trying first.    I had them relatively loose so that the arms would be more mobile.   When I first got it, they were super tight and I could hardly bend my arms without the floaters binding things up.  I will have to tighten them up a bit to see if that helps.   Have to find a happy medium to where they will stay in place, yet not restrict my arm movement too much.   If not, I will just pull them out and go back to my player elbow pads underneath.  

Can you adjust the arms without affecting the floaters?  That's what I do with my Brown arms.  The arms are more snug than the floaters to keep that from happening.

Yes, I figured out that I can.   At first, it seemed like they were controlled by the same piece of elastic, however, it turns out that it is actually two layers of elastic running through the same adjusters.    When I first tried to adjust it, they both moved at the same time.    

Just now, Srsieve said:

Yes, I figured out that I can.   At first, it seemed like they were controlled by the same piece of elastic, however, it turns out that it is actually two layers of elastic running through the same adjusters.    When I first tried to adjust it, they both moved at the same time.    

Glad you got it figured out then.  

Archived