Cwarnar's Video Channel

cwarnar

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is video #1... This a Church League team I sub for, they actually pray before and after the skate.  The team isn't great and we were missing our best players to a more important ASHL Rec Game.  We ended up winning 7-6... Scored with a minute to go after killing off a suspect penalty (oddly enough the only one called in the whole game).

I played ok... had a melt down halfway thru the second (video issues didn't capture much of the last half of the second).  Seeing myself on film for the first time, I need to be more aware of my depth and angles. 

Enjoy and let me know your thoughts! 

@cwarnar 1st goal you came out to the top of the crease but as the shot was being released you were retreating back to the goal line. Nice job getting the toe out on that one at 1:05 and a good second/third effort at 1:22ish. 3:00 mark you were kinda sinking back to the goal line again. 3:33ish you were really deep on the initial shot but I liked the challenge on the rebound. 4:08 lost a little depth again after coming out to challenge nicely. Gear looks good!

23 minutes ago, insertnamehere said:

@cwarnar 1st goal you came out to the top of the crease but as the shot was being released you were retreating back to the goal line. Nice job getting the toe out on that one at 1:05 and a good second/third effort at 1:22ish. 3:00 mark you were kinda sinking back to the goal line again. 3:33ish you were really deep on the initial shot but I liked the challenge on the rebound. 4:08 lost a little depth again after coming out to challenge nicely. Gear looks good!

It’s amazing what you learn about yourself watching the film.  I’m not big enough to play so deep... something I’ll work on plus I’ve gotten really lazy with keeping my hands out front. 

4 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

It’s amazing what you learn about yourself watching the film.  I’m not big enough to play so deep... something I’ll work on plus I’ve gotten really lazy with keeping my hands out front. 

Yeah. I've never actually seen myself on video, but the last few games I've been internally reminding myself to not lose depth and keep my hands out in front. I figure that the more I remind myself, the more likely I am to do it without noticing. I could use an extra 6 inches of height too.

25 minutes ago, Fullright said:

You play hard and don't give up on shots. Insertname makes a good point about getting set and not drifting some. Like you mentioned, perhaps keep your hands forward some. You got a good glove. Keeping it forward will make it even better. Nice job!

I honestly didn't even know I did that... I usually try to stay at the top of the blue paint until the play is in tight. 

I love my RGT glove.. pure vacuum.  There was an adjustment period to the 1 piece and thumb angle but now it's pure butter. 

I'm really looking forward to my custom double T glove that should be done in a few weeks

12 minutes ago, Imperative said:

I thought you played well! How did that first goal sneak in? One thing I noticed was at about 1:00 mark you were kind of drifting back and were caught a little off guard when the shot came in although you did make the save. 

It was a combo of being too deep and not extending my blocker to meet the puck.  One of the few times I had a great read/track on a shit and just whiffed...

• 2 weeks later...

This was a pick up session from this morning... Its our local Hose Monkeys (In jest) and we just play pick up.  This is likely the best and highest skill level guys I play against... Always have lots of guys and its high tempo.

I felt really lethargic and its reflected in my play.  Felt I was seeing the puck ok, my legs and head just weren't in it.  Gave up 3 goals on the first 3 shots too... I also have play with the blocker hand positioning, I noticed when I go paddle down I'm leaving a gap... 1-2 goals this skate and 1 last week because of this.

Comments and Critiques welcome! 

@cwarnar Goal number one @ 0:21, well, it's pickup hockey, that guy snuck in backdoor completely undefended. Fuhgeddaboutit.

Goal number two you appeared to be in good position. Well placed shot but I think that you could have had it and you probably want that one back.

At about 0:41-42, check out your angle versus the puck. I'm thinking you were possibly expecting him to dish it off to his guy on the right? Personally I'd try to be more square to the puck, and I feel as though from where it looks like that one snuck through if you'd have just kept your blade firm on the ice instead of going paddle down you'd have had it.

0:50 mark after your d-man blew a tire I like your challenge up at the top of the crease, I also like that your other d-man mostly made a commitment, in pickup hockey nonetheless, one way or the other in taking away the pass instead of half assing it leaving you guessing whether there'll be a shot or pass.

Goal around 1:15, not much you can do in pickup hockey with that one, looks like you almost got over to it.

1:20 I like your check off the puck to get a read on the attackers even though no scoring opportunity came of it.

Beauty save at 1:36! Sucks that it got poked in after. I have some mental block in pickup hockey of not fighting to cover pucks enough and that's definitely happened to me too many times.

Keep your glove out in front more. At 1:45 when they ring one off the bar, you might have snagged it had your glove been out in front of your body.

3:35 best logo to have!

From the last video you posted, you look to be challenging at the top of the crease without sinking back to the goal line before the shot gets released, looks good there. I can't quite tell from the back but is your glove hand palm facing down towards the ice? I've found that it's easier to keep my glove hand out in front if my palm is also facing the puck all the time, whether it's fingers up or fingers out to the side.

Thanks for the feedback @insertnamehere!  Glove positioning is always something I've struggled with.  I've tried in the last few years moving it out front and fingers up... But muscle memory and old habits die hard.

I'm getting more conscious of my angles and not drifting back in the crease... Something I reminded myself of a few times in the skate.

Pick up is almost always rough for the Goalie, nobody plays defence you are left alone on any rebounds. You made some good saves, I wouldn’t worry about the “rough ones”. Is that scoreboard as annoying on the ice as it looked on camera? At the start I thought it was a window to the outside and the sun was shining in your face at your end of the ice. 

Lots of good saves and good job trying to stay set rather than drift back. Don't get too hard on yourself about the goals. Guys just don't D up in pick up so some of those chances are impossible and reflect blown or non existent coverage more than anything. Agree with Imperative and Insertname. Keeping your hands forward some and your catching palm exposed to the shooter will make things easier. On the paddle down issue, sometimes you overused it a little. You're a pretty big guy and just using a butterfly will get you essentially the same net coverage and it takes less time than paddle down. We're talking micro seconds but against good players who skate with their heads up, it'll make a difference in getting to the spot you want to be in to make the save and keep you a little more compact between the arms and torso. With your size, you'll still fill plenty of net. 

The lighting in that barn looks really difficult.

10 hours ago, Fullright said:

You do look bigger than 5'9" but maybe my contacts need to be changed. :)

Either way, you're pretty good so keep at it.

Appreciate the compliment... I certainly don't feel the same way but I think being hard on ourselves is part of the goalie "weirdness"

• 9 months later...

Been forever since I've played pick up, so I made sure to bring my camera.  This group I skated with isn't overly strong literally no D (is there ever really any)..  Not my best outing... I also tweaked my hip flexor on awkward save around the 3:30 mark. Still breaking in my new to me X900 skates with LS5G steel.  I've also been using a Passau Pro Pack I picked up from @Imperative and I can honestly say I prefer my GT Pro.

Other new gear for this season is a Sportmask Pro 3, F Series, mask (still waiting on Paint) and my Custom GT Pro Set (with Pro Laces Armour).

Pick-ups are definitely tough especially as there’s definitely a lack of defense that’s being played so don’t take this the wrong way. The only criticism I have is it’s just a matter of pushing to recover with the correct leg and getting set for a shot, (I’m guilty of not doing this anymber of times too) other than that you did well.

1 hour ago, Imperative said:

Shinnys are brutal for the complete lack of defence. Sucks to tweak your hip at a shinny. Good breakaway save at 4:25. Is the chestie feeling a bit bulky? I wasn’t a real big fan of the huge shoulder floaters. 

The weight difference was very notable too. And I already sold it.  Was back in my GT pro tonight for an ASHL game and felt way better.  I really miss the tie down strap for the back tho

14 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Pick-ups are definitely tough especially as there’s definitely a lack of defense that’s being played so don’t take this the wrong way. The only criticism I have is it’s just a matter of pushing to recover with the correct leg and getting set for a shot, (I’m guilty of not doing this anymber of times too) other than that you did well.

Ya... All my pushes are self taught and I try and use shinny to work on it. I was actually considering taking a few lessons with our local goalie shop to build the muscle memory

14 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Ya... All my pushes are self taught and I try and use shinny to work on it. I was actually considering taking a few lessons with our local goalie shop to build the muscle memory

You have strong butterfly pushes so you have that going for you. 

I cant get with my goalie coach as often as I would like since I have such a heavy schedule now. Try to get with one as often as you’re comfortable with and it’ll make a huge difference. For me I always do better after a goalie lesson, if you go too long without one your skills start to decline a bit, at least for me. 

Archived