Cwarnar's Video Channel

cwarnar

Managed to grab a lunch skate on Friday... Mid level pick up.  I felt much better and quicker this time out.  I also picked up a bar mount and thought I would try my cam inside the net to focus more on my footwork and form.

I was trying to reduce my use of the RVH, trying to use it only when the puck was below the goal line... I ended up giving up 2 ugly goals anyways (in fairness one hit a d-mans skate and then mine).  

Enjoy... Comments and criticism always welcome

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off i am in LOVE with that pad setup!  i also have a question as a newbie to RVH, how do you decide when to put your foot inside the post and when to use your skate on the post?  i will be in regina on the weekend of feb 8/9 for a sledge hockey tourny if you want to check that out as well.

17 minutes ago, Netnewbie said:

First off i am in LOVE with that pad setup!  i also have a question as a newbie to RVH, how do you decide when to put your foot inside the post and when to use your skate on the post?  i will be in regina on the weekend of feb 8/9 for a sledge hockey tourny if you want to check that out as well.

Thanks for the compliment... I love my GT Pro set but I've still got the itch to try other gear.

I put my foot inside when I want to seal the post.  Or when I'll need to push back across the crease.

As for foot on the post, either I missed or what to try and change the angle or perception for the pick carrier.

I'm sure there's a much more technical aspect but my RVH is self taught and something I'm trying to develop

Thanks for the tip. I don't use it nearly as well as you do or anyone else here. I have, however, tried to use something like it in which I get down and seal up as best as I can. I only use it when I have no concern about getting across for the back door or weak side pass. My pads don't slide that well and I physically don't fill enough net on my knees. Sorry - not trying to hijack your thread. Like I said, I think you do it well enough and will only get better at it the more you do it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having cam issues and missed my previous skate and most of last nights.  I managed to grab the last 10 min of the pick up session.  Debuted the new mask paint from @Doobiesnax along with my new Worlds Okayest Goalie jersey to complete my set.

Gear tweaks for this game included ditching the knee wing and strapping down to the calf and using my new Duluth Trading Company suspenders which I already highly recommend!

That's smart. Same with me.  I play the puck a lot in my weekly pick-up and take lots of risks which of course, leads to mistakes.  That's how I fine-tune and learn and improve.  I try to move around on my knees like a cobra, too, as much as I can even though it might feel clunky or awkward.

I've noticed improvements for sure and can move silky like you in your video.

58 minutes ago, Imperative said:

That is a bit sketchy with the ammonia leak, glad they got you guys out of there. I thought you played well, to me you movement has improved with each skate. The set up looks great as well!

Thanks Cam. Moving into the X900 skates has made a world of difference in my game.  It’s no wonder why Mike McKenna said that skate advancement is the biggest change to the goaltending position 

Had pick up last night... felt it was my best outing overall in awhile.  Made some solid stops but still gave up my share of goals.

Really been working hard on staying square and improving my crease movement... most notably stay “quiet” in my stance.

Comments and roasting welcome as always!

Job done: you stayed set and calm in the crease without going for any "swims". That helped you with your lateral movement and making great stops on the one timers or back door plays. I am really reluctant to say anything about anyone's stance. Yours is more than solid; you're balanced and square. Just a friendly and gentle suggestion. Sometimes just before the shot is released, your glove is up ice at a 90 degree angle from your elbow forward (if that makes sense). For example, 1:00 and 1:18. You're a big goalie with a good glove so perhaps maximize your coverage a bit. Maybe move the mitt just a little to the left of your left hip or to the left of your left bicep? It would fill more net in the shooter's eyes. Not referring to the fingers up, down, whatever. More about your left forearm and hand being out side your left hip, torso, or bicep. Again, not a criticism and certainly not a roast. Nothing "roastable" in the film. Good work!

22 minutes ago, Fullright said:

Job done: you stayed set and calm in the crease without going for any "swims". That helped you with your lateral movement and making great stops on the one timers or back door plays. I am really reluctant to say anything about anyone's stance. Yours is more than solid; you're balanced and square. Just a friendly and gentle suggestion. Sometimes just before the shot is released, your glove is up ice at a 90 degree angle from your elbow forward (if that makes sense). For example, 1:00 and 1:18. You're a big goalie with a good glove so perhaps maximize your coverage a bit. Maybe move the mitt just a little to the left of your left hip or to the left of your left bicep? It would fill more net in the shooter's eyes. Not referring to the fingers up, down, whatever. More about your left forearm and hand being out side your left hip, torso, or bicep. Again, not a criticism and certainly not a roast. Nothing "roastable" in the film. Good work!

Thanks Joe.  My glove position is something I need to be more consistent on.  I've slightly modified my initial position to the fingers up but then muscle memory takes over.  Thanks for the tip... My next pick up I'll try and resolve that issue

53 minutes ago, Imperative said:

How do you like the g4 glove? I have tried them on in store, I realize not the best comparison but I don’t love the feel. 

I have the GT Pro... I've tried the G3/4 on in store and they just don't feel "right".  I previously was a TPS guy and then Pete's glove when he was building under the Smith name.

Since your a 5500 guy, I think you'd dig the GT with the fixed break angle and the traditional build

8 hours ago, cwarnar said:

I have the GT Pro... I've tried the G3/4 on in store and they just don't feel "right".  I previously was a TPS guy and then Pete's glove when he was building under the Smith name.

Since your a 5500 guy, I think you'd dig the GT with the fixed break angle and the traditional build

I am definelty a 5500 guy I have worn a lot of gloves, v2, v3, v6. Simmons 995, 996, ul5, 586. Battram retribution, g-netik pro 2, ccm retro-flex. 

Latest skate from last night... Wasn't my sharpest out by any stretch.  I felt really sloppy and disconnected.  I was playing with a pretty high calibre team and didn't face a high number of shots which I prefer to stay into a game.  Came out with the W but one to forget that's for sure.

Comments and criticism welcome!

Good work picking up the win! It sure looked like your opponent was skating much better in your end than you defence was. Unreal save at 3:47 or so and it being a 2 on 0 the trailer puts it in, those are always tough to take, you make a great save and by the end of the play it ends up in your net anyways. Only critique I would have is on the first goal, I would suggest you get back to your feet to come across, it only stuck out to me because I gave up a similar goal in my last game. I think it was my 5th goal against I was sliding around instead of getting to me feet and I got beat high blocker. I also feel like I am playing my best when I recover to my feet quickly. 

1 hour ago, Imperative said:

Good work picking up the win! It sure looked like your opponent was skating much better in your end than you defence was. Unreal save at 3:47 or so and it being a 2 on 0 the trailer puts it in, those are always tough to take, you make a great save and by the end of the play it ends up in your net anyways. Only critique I would have is on the first goal, I would suggest you get back to your feet to come across, it only stuck out to me because I gave up a similar goal in my last game. I think it was my 5th goal against I was sliding around instead of getting to me feet and I got beat high blocker. I also feel like I am playing my best when I recover to my feet quickly. 

That one actually went off the crossbar... nice optical illusion by the camera!

I find now that I'm able to move better in the butterfly I'm relying on it too much and getting lazy with being square and in a good position for shots.  Oddly I popped back up in a similar sequence at 2:08

• 2 weeks later...

Had a lunchtime pick up game today... Got the 9-5 win.  Felt a little sharper this time out.  Goals 2 and 4 against were scored by my own players (amazing how your own guys can time a perfect deflection in their own net).

Really tried to work on being square and on my feet more as well.  I've also been trying to shift to a fingers up glove positon but muscle memory is hard to break.

Comments and critiques welcome

Archived