Cwarnar's Video Channel

cwarnar

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Get those hands forward baby. Get them out there. Show 'em off. Make the shooter marvel at your custom gear.

Ya... I tend to let them lapse backwards as they get closer... Bad habits 

@seagoal likely because I'm right hand dominant and seem to find it easier to load the right leg vs the left. 

If we could all be on the ice for hours a day and practice!

3 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Ya... I tend to let them lapse backwards as they get closer... Bad habits 

@seagoal likely because I'm right hand dominant and seem to find it easier to load the right leg vs the left. 

If we could all be on the ice for hours a day and practice!

Exactly, same with me.  I stretch lower and deeper on my right and can thus lead a slide better with it.

My pads typically have more puck marks on the right one.  I try to reach across my center with my stick as much as I can for on-ice shots to my left, especially the quick ones.  I need more time to read and react with my left leg because it is a little stiffer and not as strong as the right.

One thing that has really helped me this time around with this issue is the Bulgarian split squat exercise. It has really helped equalize my leg strength and balance. Jump rope, believe it or not, has helped as well. @cwarnar, it is all about ice time, like you say yet these exercises helped and I am on ice only once a week for 90 mins. 

good work! a lot of real solid saves! great work on that 2-1 which was more like a 2-0 when you d man was standing beside you when you were making the save. tough break on that breakaway goal. number 69 on your team looked like he was straight out of the 70's haha. what was the flashing reflection on the ice to your glove side

6 minutes ago, Imperative said:

good work! a lot of real solid saves! great work on that 2-1 which was more like a 2-0 when you d man was standing beside you when you were making the save. tough break on that breakaway goal. number 69 on your team looked like he was straight out of the 70's haha. what was the flashing reflection on the ice to your glove side

Ads that run on the scoreboard.  It’s super annoying and very distracting.  It’s at our newest rinks too... a 5 pad center that was opened for the world juniors a few years back.  The Midget AAA Pat Cs and the U of R cougars play on a different pad with better lighting and no ad board.

That dude looked straight out of Slap shot!

I was back on the ice Saturday for another pick up game.  Neat one as we got to skate at the Brandt Center where the WHL Regina Pats play... The closest I'll ever get to the show!

Was a pretty up and down ice time... Made some solid saves but my rebound control was subpar as I felt I was fighting the puck and the last goal was just a pure brainfart on my part.

We got the 10-6 win but I felt I could have played better.  The teams are a mix of older guys and ex-CHL/CIS/NCAA guys so I don't feel like pure garbage.  I was even invited back when they need a goalie.

Comments/Critiques welcome as always!

Goal @ 0:59. I dont see a rebound issue there. What are supposed to do? Controlling that is really hard. D has to move his feet to pick up his man. Goal @ 2:04; you weren't set. You moved to your right as the skater shot back to your left. Great shot so a good goal. Suggest come forward more and slightly to your right instead of moving to your right. Not my idea. Plante's book suggests it and it works. With your heft, you'll take away everything except a perfect shot. The rebound thing you mentioned is something I don't see here. Almost every shot you controlled or kept it very close (guys my age wanted that instead of the long "hot" rebound off a stiff pad). I think the only goal you could have played differently is the one at 2:04. You played hard, helped yourself with your stick, and kept your glove out more. You played pretty well; not surprised they want you back.

Thanks Joe... I just see too many 2nd and 3rd chances.  One stronger part of my game traditionally has been eating pucks or at least putting them away from the net.  I saw too many that stayed in the scoring zone.  Goals 2 and 4 happened because of this.

The one at 2:04 popped the crap out of my bottle too.  Even my d-man said it looked "cool"

Was asked to sub again for the Snakes... Played much better this time out.  Weird part of this skate was the ice off the start.  The crease was sticky, despite my best efforts to work it up.(usually I don't do this as much as I prefer a clean crease).  You can see in the intro that my pads were grabbing.  It bit me on the first goal.  

Really tried to be more square in this one... Let me know what you think

45 minutes ago, Fullright said:

Much better? You were effing great! Really sharp tracking, battling to get into position, and absorbing shots. I got nothing negative. Btw, we now know your mask is good, lol. No ref?

Thanks Joe... I think we are our own worst critics.  

That mask shot felt good, minimal impact sounds, zero issues.

These guys play no refs... very laid back, but this team didn't like losing to us.  Things got chippy as I've seen in awhile.  Quite a few of the pick games around here are no refs

Good work man! I thought you played a real controlled game, holding onto puck eliminating 2nd opportunities, your glove was going. I thought you track really well, great save sequence around 5:10. It looked like your D kind broke down around the 4:00 mark when you faced multiple breakaways. Overall good work. 

Another Friday lunch pick up... I have one left in 2 weeks before the boys pack it in for the spring.

This one was up and down for sure.  I made some good stops but gave up too many softies for my liking.  Had another D-Man score on me (hit off his leg at least).  This is was the first skate with the Warrior V1 Pro+ stick.  You can see how many goals I gave up blocker side due to the longer paddle and it messed up my stance and blocker position.

Comments welcome as always

Was back on the ice with the Snakes last night... high scoring 12-10 win.  It was a very up and down skate... Made some good stops but gave up too many soft goals.  The game got super chippy as well, I got a horrendous trip/slew foot that happened right in front of me (4:57).  I also took a nasty shot to the middle of my collar bone (5:22), and of course I grabbed my regular compression shirt instead of my Zoombang padded shirt (won't make that mistake again).  I also used my new 25" CR1 (Bishop twist curve)... I think the shorter paddle length will help me but I gave up 2 bad goals thru my right arm pit so I'm still not being disciplined enough with keeping my blocker out front.

Comments/critiques always welcome.

Great save at 4:05! It sure looked like the defensive play really broke down in front of you as the game went on. One thing I noticed was you tend to flatten out as the puck goes to a sharp angle shot(I do the same) I think flattening out (instead of being square) was the cause of the 2nd goal. I noticed it because I had the same Senario in a recent game when the same shooter was trying to beat me from a sharp angle mainly because I was flattening out when he would drop into a sharp angle position. Hope that helps. 

Last Friday pick for the season... It was pretty sloppy as most of the guys were focused of the food and beverages following the skate (which I missed due to work).  Overall I played decent.  Gave up some sloppy ones...

Chirp Away!

Not sure what it is but you looked different on your skates. I think you've been a good skater since I started tuning into "cwarner tv". However, you looked particularly strong and in control of your skating. It shows in how well and smooth you moved about the crease here. Your game has had demonstrable growth this season. Well done!

29 minutes ago, Fullright said:

Not sure what it is but you looked different on your skates. I think you've been a good skater since I started tuning into "cwarner tv". However, you looked particularly strong and in control of your skating. It shows in how well and smooth you moved about the crease here. Your game has had demonstrable growth this season. Well done!

Thanks a lot Joe.  I've been working on a few things with my pick ups.  In this one it was a deeper crouch to help with my movement.  I've also dropped a bit of weight... Which should help me get quicker.

The move to the Vapor cowlingless skates sure helps as well.

• 1 month later...

Archived