Paint job review...

bunnyman666

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not have the product in my hand, but through our consultation process, I know this will be a solid paint job. On other masques, I have seen some paint have softness, bad details, etc.  I know *just* enough about paint to know that this one should not suffer the witness lines if the cage gets shoved into the shell months or years after this was done. 

Sean was very open to sharing what types of products he uses. That is a good sign. Much like with composites, total secrecy with product is a big, fat red flag for me. After all- one STILL has to mix things correctly at the right ratios and apply the product within the pot life specified by the manufacturer. One has to use the correct air pressure in the case of paint, or wet out, squeegeeing and compaction proceedures in the case of composites; being open about what you’re using is NOT giving away proprietary secrets! How you speed/enhance the curing process if you discovered your own twist IS proprietary. 

This has been a fun process. The progress pix were a fantastic touch. I was never not privy to where this was in the process. I never ONCE had to wonder if my masque was stuffed into a corner whilst seeing tonnes of finished projects flying around on forums and social media whilst being told (whilst being conveyed that they were CLEARLY annoyed) an “it’s in the mail” answer five emails later when it wasn’t even started. Sean’s communication is spot on. 

I will give a final review when the helmet arrives. 

It feels like good, hard automotive paint on my helmet. The quality feels to be there. No discernable orange peel at all. The only imperfections are from the actual helmet itself, and this is acceptable as this is no fault of the painter. There are a couple of areas that remind you that this was painted and not a wrap or decal; those areas are not enough to be seen by the naked eye, just by feeling the surface. I do not grade down on that aspect. If I could see it with the naked eye, that is a different story!

With a painter, you judge both on artistic skill and workmanship with the paint. A great technical painter can paint blah and lifeless paintjobs that are smooth and durable, and a poor craftsperson may paint great portraiture with poorly prepped surfaces and a bad and fragile paint job. Sean has both aspects nailed!

Archived