Material Database

TheGoalNet

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So with my upcoming downtime due to surgical repair of my hip... I'm going to nerd out on this subject. I'm by no means a materials engineer but I will post whatever i can in the most uniform fashion I can. Aside from general definitions/applications of materials... and subject to the availability of data itself... I'm looking to build up a catalog for various materials including data points like...

• standardized mass/volume
  • impact absorption/dispersion testing data
  • requirements to mold or take shapes
  • requirements to fasten/adhere
  • cost & general availability

Anything out there that anyone may have already, send my way and I'll make sure it's on the list.

2 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

So with my upcoming downtime due to surgical repair of my hip... I'm going to nerd out on this subject. I'm by no means a materials engineer but I will post whatever i can in the most uniform fashion I can. Aside from general definitions/applications of materials... and subject to the availability of data itself... I'm looking to build up a catalog for various materials including data points like...

• standardized mass/volume
  • impact absorption/dispersion testing data
  • requirements to mold or take shapes
  • requirements to fasten/adhere
  • cost & general availability

Anything out there that anyone may have already, send my way and I'll make sure it's on the list.

you are in luck, ill be doing some tests on mask foams/whatever foams i can get my hands on

1 hour ago, Znowleopard said:

you are in luck, ill be doing some tests on mask foams/whatever foams i can get my hands on

AWESOME!! Foams will be an obvious start. I'm also looking to gather data on shell type materials... selfishly looking at options for replacement blocker boards for more pop... Curv, Tegris, Kydex (as added by @Chenner29), etc. Not sure what your methods are for testing foams, but post on this thread to get thoughts from the group. Maybe we could apply the same methods to testing the other materials we'll add to the list.

17 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

@BadAngle41 check out my IG. I posted some squish pics and video of the max rebound. Sorta feels like a Maltese 

Ha... Thanks. I actually rewatched your Premier 2 in depth review for that exact purpose earlier today. I remembered you mentioned the material and did a little squish test there as well. In my time off the ice I'll be researching as much as i can to find out more about it and other materials.

Going back to a previous exchange we had... I do find it interesting that CCM chose not to apply it to the blocker as well. Perhaps it performs best as part of a layering system that can't be translated onto a blocker... yet. Perhaps a board is necessary to maintain shape and protect the subsequent layers. Whatever the case, I dig into it. While not an issue in more competitive leagues... I find the hot rebound piece good news for playing in slower leagues where the shots aren't hard enough to effectively deflect into a corner. They just sorta die off the face of my RetroFlexes. 

Sidenote: Because of your video I keep playing with the CCM customizer trying to convince myself I need to pads. Big fan of the specs you chose... as I'd likely choose the same with the exceptions of the all important height to knee and maybe just a single internal break. If only I was taller I'd ask to take the demos off your hands for a quick spin around the block myself. Maybe if I ask PAW to do enough modifications to my pads over the summer the cost would put me almost into the realm a new set... at that point I'd be crazy not to. (That's how I'll frame it to my wife anyway.)

Kydex is on order... picked up a 12" x 24" x .125" sheet along with a digital caliper to get better measurements on materials going forward. In fact I'm thinking of trying out some .118" and .093" Thicknesses of Kydex as well give it will likely be heavier than the standard plastic sheet.

12 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Sorry, what type of material is Kydex?

It is an acrylic-polyvinyl chloride composite engineered for thermoforming fabrication, and combines properties of both the acrylic and the polyvinyl chloride components. From acrylic, it obtains rigidity and formability; from PVC, toughness, chemical resistance and good interior finish ratings. Super easy to mold and shape with either a heat gun or oven baked. I'm getting data sheets together for it to accompany a post on the cutting and forming to fit the blocker as it will require molding to fit inside a blocker properly. 

• 8 months later...
58 minutes ago, old but slow said:

@TheGoalNet, Interesting. But I wonder if the cupped shape of the D30 vs the flat of the others plays a part in the results? I wonder if the D30 was flipped over, would the porcelain break?

Couldn't agree more that D3O is probably designing the best test that highlights their technology. Unless it's from independent labs or a university, it's to be scrutinized. The most interesting thing to me in that XRD is their competitor in hockey. The XRD is almost twice as thick. I think that should make up for the shape?

4 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Couldn't agree more that D3O is probably designing the best test that highlights their technology. Unless it's from independent labs or a university, it's to be scrutinized. The most interesting thing to me in that XRD is their competitor in hockey. The XRD is almost twice as thick. I think that should make up for the shape?

Also... the cutout shape has me thinking this is might be going into a jock? Something similar to Unequal's Uncup? 

Could also just be a shape.

On 4/23/2018 at 4:16 PM, BadAngle41 said:

Ha... Thanks. I actually rewatched your Premier 2 in depth review for that exact purpose earlier today. I remembered you mentioned the material and did a little squish test there as well. In my time off the ice I'll be researching as much as i can to find out more about it and other materials.

Going back to a previous exchange we had... I do find it interesting that CCM chose not to apply it to the blocker as well. Perhaps it performs best as part of a layering system that can't be translated onto a blocker... yet. Perhaps a board is necessary to maintain shape and protect the subsequent layers. Whatever the case, I dig into it. While not an issue in more competitive leagues... I find the hot rebound piece good news for playing in slower leagues where the shots aren't hard enough to effectively deflect into a corner. They just sorta die off the face of my RetroFlexes. 

Sidenote: Because of your video I keep playing with the CCM customizer trying to convince myself I need to pads. Big fan of the specs you chose... as I'd likely choose the same with the exceptions of the all important height to knee and maybe just a single internal break. If only I was taller I'd ask to take the demos off your hands for a quick spin around the block myself. Maybe if I ask PAW to do enough modifications to my pads over the summer the cost would put me almost into the realm a new set... at that point I'd be crazy not to. (That's how I'll frame it to my wife anyway.)

The CCM material is soft. Every blocker I have ever used in hard. I think that alone is probably why not? Too weird a feeling?

5 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Actually no, the poron and D30 are both 13mm at the drop of 1070 mm. Also the poron lays flat on the tile, the D30 has an air pocket between the foam and the tile.

6 hours ago, old but slow said:

Actually no, the poron and D30 are both 13mm at the drop of 1070 mm. Also the poron lays flat on the tile, the D30 has an air pocket between the foam and the tile.

I’ll have to watch again, thought it was 8mm vs 13mm

understood on the airpocket

20 minutes ago, Ross said:

From the research paper:

At 15 mm thickness, all the synthetic materials provide good protection at a level significantly better than 5 layers of the leather. The energy absorption capabilities of the synthetics appear to be comparable.

At 10 mm thickness, the EVA Foam is similar to an equivalent thickness of leather but the peak forces observed are about twice those obtained with Poron XRD, D3O and GPhlex. This suggests that EVA Foam has an internal structure that collapses more easily, reducing the performance of thinner samples.

With the 5mm thickness samples, there are three types of behaviour. D3O and GPhlex are the best performing materials. Poron XRD behaves much the same as leather, and the EVA Foam provides very little protection. 5mm thickness materials are important when considering the selection of materials for protective garments, particularly sportswear where the goal is not to restrict the athlete (wearers do not like thick and bulky inserts).

TGN’s Summary: The designer materials make the biggest impact when you need thin padding. It seems D30 is the best thin padding. 

This opens up a whole debate about mask padding to me. 

Almost all mask padding, except the VTX, is under 10mm. VTX is 10-15mm depending on the area of the shell. Based on this paper, EVA foam under 10mm isn’t much better than leather... So your mask is basically only your shell? 

• 6 months later...

I have gotten a 1s glove recently for cheap with a closure problem.I have been told my my local skate/repair shop that its a hard fix due the center of the break (middle portion of the break highlighted) being sunken in. The guy who does the repairs says is a 50/50 split if he can make the glove preform to standards, so now i can make my custom franken glove.

00000000001.thumb.jpg.e3a689676e463041b5e2746bc6e61189.jpg

I need new plastics for the finger/felt construction and based off one of my plastic suppliers website from work they offer the following.

1. HDPE (High Density Polyethylene
  2. LDPE (Low Density Polyethylene)
  3. GP Polycarbonate
  4. various grades of kydex
  5. polypropylene (I brought in a sample of a Bauer one90 glove plastics and they gave me this as an answer)

I have also asked what type of plastics a gear repair service uses on IG and he said UHMW polyethylene

Noted I have time to use a pin vice or drill press to sew the needed holes to sew the finger plastics on the felt. What is the best plastics to construct a new finger/felt construction?

Archived