Do you wear your wedding ring on the ice?

stackem30

I got married in 2016, and so far I've left my wedding ring at home whenever I head to the rink. Like most Americans, I wear the ring on my left hand, and like most goalies who play the position correctly, I catch with that hand (:giggle:). While I acknowledge that I'm likely being overly cautious, I do worry about the ring getting bent by a particularly hard shot, or a player who falls on my glove, etc. Worst case scenario, I worry about breaking that finger, and not being able to remove the ring (you always hear horror stories about rings having to be cut off, etc.). All of my teammates, of course, play with their rings... but they don't have shots being fired at their hands/fingers.

For what it's worth, the ring is a 14k gold signet. It is completely bespoke, and it was quite the process to design it... perhaps why I'm particularly cautious about trying to ensure that I never have to replace it.

I wanted to see what other goalies do with their rings when they play. Do you leave them at home, too? Play with them? This may be a stupid, open-shut topic, but this is a goalie forum, and unusual, well thought-out opinions are never too far from any topic.

17 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

I wanted to see what other goalies do with their rings when they play. Do you leave them at home, too? Play with them? This may be a stupid, open-shut topic, but this is a goalie forum, and unusual, well thought-out opinions are never too far from any topic.

Kind of like the peeing in your gear topic. :P

Not married, though with the way things are looking with the current lady, I won't be too far off.

I wouldn't bring it to the rink either. Same reasons you mentioned. It's an unnecessary risk for not only my finger, but potentially damaging the ring as well.

20 minutes ago, estogoalie said:

Same here. Actually, I don't even know where mine is, haven't seen it in about a year.

Esto, you might want to find it before she who shall be obeyed learns you may have lost it. :)

No chance of wearing the ring or any other adornments on the ice. I don't even wear a watch off the ice which are made for right handed folks anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Fullright said:

Esto, you might want to find it before she who shall be obeyed learns you may have lost it. :)

No chance of wearing the ring or any other adornments on the ice. I don't even wear a watch off the ice which are made for right handed folks anyway. 

My watch stays in the winding box when I go to the rink. Necklace, bracelet, and any other piece of jewellery stays home. Just too much to get damaged or damage me. 

Appears I'm the only dude who wears mine all the time. On the rink, wrenching my Jeep - I even wear it while playing baseball (I catch too). On my left hand that I also catch with.

I never take it off. Married almost 14 years now.

When I do remove it, I can tell it's no longer round. It's a white gold plain band.

Just making a joke. But this thread is no less valuable than the countless others where we happily debate complete minutia. A lot of goalies wear rings, and everyone has to make a decision as to whether they wear them while playing or not — I wanted to hear what others had decided, and why. I'm sorry if you find the topic pointless, but surely you understand that it's even more pointless to type out that you think it's pointless.

12 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Just making a joke. But this thread is no less valuable than the countless others where we happily debate complete minutia. A lot of goalies wear rings, and everyone has to make a decision as to whether they wear them while playing or not — I wanted to hear what others had decided, and why. I'm sorry if you find the topic pointless, but surely you understand that it's even more pointless to type out that you think it's pointless.

But isn't typing out that you think that typing out something is pointless just as pointless? ;)

1 hour ago, ULTIMA said:

Must be running out of goalie material for there to be such a thread.

Well, in counterpose, it’s actually something I was wondering about as well. I play against a couple of goalies who do wear their rings on the ice and I’m not talking about some normal, human sized accoutrements - these things are like Superbowl rings just begging to cause damage or be damaged. I was wondering if by taking off my rings I was the exception to the rule…

I think it also speaks to how interactive goalies are (or aren’t) with each other in person even today. When I started back into tending, I was really happy I could get on a forum and talk to goalies about different issues, challenges etc. and how willing they were to offer advice and assistance. I assumed it wasn’t like it was when I started: at that time the only people you could talk to were goalies you played with or against, and neither of those wanted to help you. I figured perhaps in general, all goalies were more open. But then...

...the other day I was complimenting another goalie after a game specifically about his active stick- pretty incredible actually. I asked him specifically how he got so good with pass blocking etc., to which he responded “I don’t know…” Sort of like, when asked, Gretzky saying “Yeah, I don’t know how I got so good at scoring goals”... (Thanks by the way…) I guess there are still secrets to be had and proximity is a good reason to keep them...

Oh and don't forget some leagues penalize/suspend if you drop 'em and have rings on - for a guy like me who has 4 or 5 fights a week it's a consideration (OK, not, but I did once yell at a guy, so really, pretty well the same thing...)

8 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

But isn't typing out that you think that typing out something is pointless just as pointless? ;)

Eh, not really Coop. I think it was a pretty fair rebuttal. In all honesty, I didn't really feel comfortable making fun of anyone for being divorced (obviously I have no idea if that's the case for anyone here), so I mostly felled compelled to add an 'actual' response in addition to my snarky retort, funny as I may have found it ;-)

But seriously, this board has threads the go on for pages covering the order in which we pack our bags, how we hang our gear after we play, whether logos are placed rightside-up or upside-down on gloves... I think it's all part of what makes this place fun, not to mention a great resource. I don't really like the idea of people policing threads and making judgements on whether they're worthwhile or not.

Do not wear your ring. If nothing else, I think you are more likely to hurt your pinky and middle fingers if you take an impact - I.e., pushing your ring into them. As a player, I once accidentally left my ring on and of course took a puck to the hand. I don’t really know if I broke anything (no X rays) but it hurt very badly for this reason (sort of crunched my fingers together - not sure if I’m explaining it correctly). Anyway, leave it in the car, that’s what I do. 

51 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Eh, not really Coop. I think it was a pretty fair rebuttal. In all honesty, I didn't really feel comfortable making fun of anyone for being divorced (obviously I have no idea if that's the case for anyone here), so I mostly felled compelled to add an 'actual' response in addition to my snarky retort, funny as I may have found it ;-)

Man, I was just being a smart ass. I'm mostly a shit-poster and should have all of my posts be automatically be seen as me attempting to be funny. :drool:

Archived