Things that make you go "hmmm"...the odds and ends of goaltending

RichMan

I started this thread to share the strange phenomenons, or thoughts and quirks that makes us and the position such a "special" kind of people :jelly:

To get the ball rolling,

As I was staring at my goalie pads this morning while enjoying my cup of joe on the couch, I noticed some puck marks in the most unusual places and I couldn't help but ask myself - "HOW the hell did I get hit there?!?" I can just imagine the rest of my gear if I were to pull it out of my bag. lollll

Spent 5 minutes in a game (after whistle obv.) looking for a puck. The Vaughn V7 glove has that flap on the backside with a velcro strap to hold it down. Somehow, even though the puck hit me in the chest, it went in the back part of my glove. Was pancaked between the wrist strap and the flap.

Also, agree about the weird puck marks.

Every goalie has the nights when they are just in the zone, and everyone has off nights where nothing goes their way. And sometimes you get the nights where you don't play well, but luck was on your side and the puck somehow stayed out of the night. 

What I find most curious though are the odd nights where you feel "in the zone", and yet you can't stop the puck. They can be hard to describe how they are different from a regular "off night". But for me it's mostly that I am playing well, and when the shots come I'm in good position and I react to the play accordingly....but I still get scored on. And it's not that the shooter just beat me with a good shot, it's more like I was confident I had the save and then it just feels like the puck just teleported through my body and into the net. 

And that happens on not just 1 goal, but lots and usually in bunches. 

And it's way more frustrating than just a normal off night, where you can at least blame bad defense or look at stuff you did wrong. These are the nights where you look back and go "ok, I did everything right, I felt good and confident....but we lost 14 - 2 and I made 5 saves the whole game". 

I definitely have had re-occurring nightmares about games like these.

-When your teammates genuinely think you played great, but you think you played like total crap.

-When (or if, in men's league) you get a shutout, yet still nitpick your game even though your playing career ended almost a decade ago now.

-Looking at opposing players' sticks and tape jobs to try and get a rough read on how they might shoot or play. For example: if the tip is taped, or if it's an E28, you almost automatically know they're gonna be a shoot-first kinda guy, or a have a higher shot. If a guy is using a P88, I know he has the option for a better backhand than say a P92. If it's a heel curve I know they're over 40, haha.

-Why do forwards feel compelled to block clean-read shots from the point?

-Giving up breakaway goals because you're anticipating some men's league schmuck to pull off the Kucherov.

-Thinking about how you might nail that empty net goal when up by at  two...or one.

-Why do players do that awkward skating thing back to the bench for the fist bump line? 

-Why do goalies embellish saves? Like the windmill or get amped up after a crazy save. I think it's more cruel to make it look like it's routine to get into opposing players' heads.

57 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

-Looking at opposing players' sticks and tape jobs to try and get a rough read on how they might shoot or play. For example: if the tip is taped, or if it's an E28, you almost automatically know they're gonna be a shoot-first kinda guy, or a have a higher shot. If a guy is using a P88, I know he has the option for a better backhand than say a P92. If it's a heel curve I know they're over 40, haha.

Didn't get the memo on this one. Thanks for the tips ;):P:D

When your D-men are literally statues, then stare at you when you let in a goal...

When someone skating through your crease gets upended and cries foul...

When someone is breaking away full steam ahead with their head down, you go to poke cheque them and you end up putting your shoulder into them so you’re not run over...

That glove save that you did not quite know where the shot was going and it literally went into the pocket like a miracle from G’d...

I really hate it when a shot his you, but still goes in :facepalm: Even worse,  two days ago I had a low shot thru a screen, that wasn't even too hard, hit my stick blade, bounce up and hit my mask, then into the net ....arrgh :myhead: On the bright side, it happened when I was subbing for another team :). Then the next day, a similar thing happened to my 10 year old son, hit his stick and the puck went up and scored top-shelf. Are these just bad bounces? Wrong stick lie? Or ...?

5 hours ago, estogoalie said:

I really hate it when a shot his you, but still goes in :facepalm: Even worse,  two days ago I had a low shot thru a screen, that wasn't even too hard, hit my stick blade, bounce up and hit my mask, then into the net ....arrgh :myhead: On the bright side, it happened when I was subbing for another team :). Then the next day, a similar thing happened to my 10 year old son, hit his stick and the puck went up and scored top-shelf. Are these just bad bounces? Wrong stick lie? Or ...?

I usually have my glove there as my backup by habit when I do an angled stick save. 9 out of 10 the puck ends up in my glove automatically. Then again, it could just be bs luck lolll

21 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

When you get shot directly into the cage and the shooter says “my bad”. If they didn’t mean to do it, why did they aim there?

1 minute ago, IPv6Freely said:

Most of the time they didn't. 

We all know accuracy is relative to time and space... warm ups guys shoot bar down... same guys can't hit the broad side of a barn in the game. 

My usual reply to a guy who says "My bad" in a game is "No worries... it's why i wear it." I mean in all fairness it doesn't hurt and is usually a result of either my own positioning or it just got away from them. So long as it doesn't ring my dome and go in... those hurt.

6 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

We all know accuracy is relative to time and space... warm ups guys shoot bar down... same guys can't hit the broad side of a barn in the game. 

My usual reply to a guy who says "My bad" in a game is "No worries... it's why i wear it." I mean in all fairness it doesn't hurt and is usually a result of either my own positioning or it just got away from them. So long as it doesn't ring my dome and go in... those hurt.

Most of the time if it's to the cage, it was a redirection or something really in close when I'm already down. If an actual SHOT hits me in the cage, that's MY fault for not catching it. 

And yes, nothing sucks like a mask shot that goes in...

35 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

When you get shot directly into the cage and the shooter says “my bad”. If they didn’t mean to do it, why did they aim there?

Often they aren't aiming directly, more likely throwing a shot up high in a desperate attempt to go top shelf. Or it was a rising shot they did not intend. That or it could be the dude is just a prick and wanted to.

It's kinda the same as the other two "my bad" phenomenons. The one where bobble a puck off your chest or glove, so they try to swat at it to knock it in and accidentally hit you, or hit your glove after you've recaptured it. And then the one where you go to smother a puck at the same time they try to knock it in and it winds up hitting your glove. They didn't intend for that to happen, but it was a risk born out of adrenaline and a desperate desire to score a goal. It's like hockey's version of a fight or flight instinct.

1 minute ago, Moose75 said:

Often they aren't aiming directly, more likely throwing a shot up high in a desperate attempt to go top shelf. Or it was a rising shot they did not intend. That or it could be the dude is just a prick and wanted to.

It's kinda the same as the other two "my bad" phenomenons. The one where bobble a puck off your chest or glove, so they try to swat at it to knock it in and accidentally hit you, or hit your glove after you've recaptured it. And then the one where you go to smother a puck at the same time they try to knock it in and it winds up hitting your glove. They didn't intend for that to happen, but it was a risk born out of adrenaline and a desperate desire to score a goal. It's like hockey's version of a fight or flight instinct.

Had a guy last night hit me right in the belly with a baseball bat style swing, trying to hit the puck that I had caught in the air after it hit my stick in the butterfly. He apologized and I just said "stick to hockey, baseball's not your thing!"

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2018 at 5:23 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Not going high and hard off the glass more regularly in men’s league. If we had advanced stats (I guess stats at all ?), I would guess that 40% of goals against me are break downs when we can’t get the puck out 

Triggered.

My contribution to this thread: being able to make a better breakout pass to your forwards (who always seem to be standing still in the neutral zone) than your defensemen.
Addition: being trusted too much with the puck by your defensemen so when you ultimately flub the pass, you wonder if you'll be credited with an assist to the other team.

On 2/26/2018 at 9:15 AM, IPv6Freely said:

Had a guy last night hit me right in the belly with a baseball bat style swing, trying to hit the puck that I had caught in the air after it hit my stick in the butterfly. He apologized and I just said "stick to hockey, baseball's not your thing!"

In my game last night, the puck popped way up in the air in front of the net. I came out to do my best fielder's catch, their forward tried to bat it out of the air with his glove at the same time , missed and ended up punching me in the mask so hard one of the snaps popped off.

I'm telling myself he doesn't know me that well, so it was probably an accident.

• 1 year later...

I had a strange thing happen the other day. I blocked the shot high chest and some how the puck rolled up and ended up under the chin of my mask. I could feel it in there .. when i stuck my chin out the puck fell out. 

No dangler on my mask but do wear a Bauer bib .. won't play without it. 

Archived