In need of gear, don’t know what brand to order

Jon Russell

Hey goalies,

A little about me, I’m an 01, 220 lbs, 6’3, and will likely need new gear soon because I’m still growing. Unfortunately, I just got new pads at the beginning of this season (Bauer Vapor x700 36+2 ) because they fit my price range and level of play. I’ve played house my entire life, and although I’ve been good enough to play on travel teams, money and time scheduling never worked out for me. So, because I’m 16, I’m still growing despite my already large size. This puts me in the predicament of “No one really sells stock pads in the size you need” (said to me by a Pro Hockey Life employee lol). After some research it’s become clear to me that if I grow out of my current set, which I am estimated to do within the year, then I’m going to need to custom order my next pads just to have them fit me. There are a number of variables in play, most importantly price (Brian’s are $$$ for a 16 year old), and whether or not it’s worth it to get new pads if I don’t continue playing in college. I have minimum 1 year left in my hockey career, and even though I plan to keep playing, anything can happen.

To get summarize, I’ll likely need new gear soon, and a custom order is the only way to go. I currently wear Bauer x700’s and am open to suggestions of what my next set should be. Brian’s Optik/Heritage is looking prominent, but any brand that will make stock pads my size would be nice. 

PS, I’ve always worn Bauer, so a change might be nice. 

Thanks, Jon

If you need or want to go custom and money is a factor, my personal opinion is to look around at the smaller shops...Simmons, Passau, McKenney, Kenesky, Battram, Boddam, etc... but I would wait until you stop growing.  In the meantime, look for pro returns, there are a lot of tall goalies out there and you'll find 36" & 37" pro returns for fairly cheap because there's not a big market for that size.  Keep a constant look out on FB, Ebay, SidelineSwap, they pop up all the time.  I saw a set of Cory Schneider Vaughn pro returns recently for $750 on pro stock hockey.  Make sure your measurements are right too, don't just go by overall height when determining your pad size.  There are some NHL goalies that are 6'4"-6'5" wearing 35's & 36's, Ben Bishop is 6'7" and wore a 37+2 when he was in XLT's, which ran big.

3 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

If you need or want to go custom and money is a factor, my personal opinion is to look around at the smaller shops...Simmons, Passau, McKenney, Kenesky, Battram, Boddam, etc... but I would wait until you stop growing.  In the meantime, look for pro returns, there are a lot of tall goalies out there and you'll find 36" & 37" pro returns for fairly cheap because there's not a big market for that size.  Keep a constant look out on FB, Ebay, SidelineSwap, they pop up all the time.  I saw a set of Cory Schneider Vaughn pro returns recently for $750 on pro stock hockey.  Make sure your measurements are right too, don't just go by overall height when determining your pad size.  There are some NHL goalies that are 6'4"-6'5" wearing 35's & 36's, Ben Bishop is 6'7" and wore a 37+2 when he was in XLT's, which ran big.

d’oh!

Don’t forget the minor brands, @Jon Russell!

@Jon Russell a little bit more info might help us make some suggestions, although many of what other guys have thrown out will work well for you.

What pads have you worn in the past?

What style do you play?  Do you prefer a stiff or softer pad?  Pure butterfly or more of a hybrid pad?

If you are unsure of all that, then I would definitely go bespoke custom thru @GoalieTimmy33 and Passau or Mike/Dave at Kenesky 

On 2018-03-01 at 10:02 AM, cwarnar said:

@Jon Russell a little bit more info might help us make some suggestions, although many of what other guys have thrown out will work well for you.

What pads have you worn in the past?

What style do you play?  Do you prefer a stiff or softer pad?  Pure butterfly or more of a hybrid pad?

If you are unsure of all that, then I would definitely go bespoke custom thru @GoalieTimmy33 and Passau or Mike/Dave at Kenesky 

I’ve only worn Bauer, I prefer stiff pads, and I’m pure butterfly.

To all others, I’ve been considering buying pro returns, only issue is finding pro returns big enough. Either that or  saving up for brian’s customs because I do hope to play college in 2 years, so it could be an investment. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I'm late in responding - been off on vacation.  Appreciate everyone who tagged me.  to Jon (or anyone else) - please feel free to reach out to me.  We have a really unique approach as you work directly with one of our reps on your order to help determine which specs best meet your needs and preferences and the gear is build accordingly.  So instead of you trying to find the right gear for you on the shelf, we make just for you (think buying a suit at a store versus going to a bespoke tailor).  It's a super fun process.  Please feel free to contact me directly for more info.

Tim McCarthy

Tim.McCarthy@PassauHockey.com

Director of Business Development

Passau Hockey

Archived