Brian's Gear

TheGoalNet

On 10/30/2017 at 10:57 PM, braedub90 said:

After being pressured by @SaveByRichter35, I guess I'll post my recent order at Players Bench, in Prince George, BC. 

Colours: Silver is weave, powder blue is weave, middle dart is black weave, outer roll dashes (colour 5 on customizer) is black weave. The rest is matte black.

Pads:

• 32+1" (Skate size = 8.5, 17.2 ATK, 10" thigh)
  • 84 degree toe taper
  • FLX core
  • soft boot
  • the rest is stock (smart strap, smart toe, smart boot strap)

Blocker

• BOA strapping

Catcher:

• BOA strapping
  • Double T (requested no Thief eyes, just OPTIK logo)
  • Black skate lace pocket
  • game ready palm

Ordered the 84 degree boot, because I tried on GN3TIK's with the same boot, and loved the seal, without tripping me up. Left everything else stock, because it sounds like everything I want in a pad/glove set. Black primo on the inside sliding area and toe binding, as well.

Only 8 weeks to go...

Get ready to enjoy quick whistles :D

On 10/31/2017 at 2:44 AM, mik said:

@braedub90 - Looks fantastic on customizer, I´m sure this set will be even better in real photos. Just fantastic!

The customizer is great because it's unbelievable how many beautiful combos you can create. The hard part is choosing lol

On 10/31/2017 at 3:12 AM, braedub90 said:

The customizer is great because it's unbelievable how many beautiful combos you can create. The hard part is choosing lol

Evidently no problem for you to choose great design ;) .

@Hills and @braedub90 loving both sets! 

11 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Clean set. Very amazed at all the different colorways and looks you can pull off with this graphic.

Always loved Brian's for custom graphics, but a lot of the stock ones were misses me. IMO, Optik is definitely their best to date. 

Its been a while since there was a stock graphic I actually liked.  Probably the original Extreme Flex pad.  This Optik graphic is definitely something I can see myself keeping.  My only gripe is I wish you could split up the areas within the "inner" part of the graphic a little more.

14 hours ago, Hills said:

I just put an order in for my set. Not anything special besides matching the airknit wsith the panels they are on for colour.

Wow looks great. I know this is weird but I really like how the backhand of the trapper came out for some reason. Cool contrast between the white and color areas. 

I also dig the contrast between the red outer edge on the leg pads and the blue outside calf wrap. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Wow looks great. I know this is weird but I really like how the backhand of the trapper came out for some reason. Cool contrast between the white and color areas. 

I also dig the contrast between the red outer edge on the leg pads and the blue outside calf wrap. 

I try to keep colours separated in some way when designing thing. I'll go into detail when the order is paid for on why I did what.

Had the chance to try out the Optiks at the store today. Really liked them, and I was quite surprised to see how much "flex" the FLX core version had. Crazy light too...holding a pad up with a R/G3, I'm not sure I could tell which was the lighter of the two. 

One thing that I stuck out to me (at least when I compared to other pads) was the boot seemed much longer. Not sure if that's actually the case, but it seemed to extend out past where most boots do.

I'll agree with the InGoal article too, these things just look *big*. It must be the lack of outer roll presenting an single unbroken flat surface of the pad, but they just appear larger than other pads. Until you actually get them side by side for direct comparison, I don't think anyone would guess these are actually standard dimensions. 

I think the only elements I didn't quite like was the strapping (at least, in direct comparison with the G3/GT, which I was looking at at the same time). The boot strap I really had a difficult time with, the rubber tab is just thick enough that I struggled getting it both in and out of the buckle. The knee/professor strap also feels a little thin compared to some other pads.

I was pretty impressed overall though. Could really feel the build and material quality. 

I also quickly put the gloves on, just to set the BOA system. Really loved it, especially on the glove. Spread pressure out really evenly, I felt like a could crank it pretty snug, yet didn't feel like my hand was being pinched down at any single point. Just felt like a really firm solid hold. 

@Puckducker - good insight on the even pressure with the BOA. That’s something I haven’t been able to articulate and it’s why I’m comfortable wearing the wrist strap a bit looser 

The knee strap / prof strap is thin and that’s by design. It’s supposed to add some extra security without really being noticed. 

If you want to go across the knee with it and you don’t find the strap big enough, you could order another standard strap from @Beccaraptor and just run in thru the knee black and use the knee flap. This is how Raanta straps his 

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/11/2017 at 2:12 PM, Puckducker said:

I'll agree with the InGoal article too, these things just look *big*. It must be the lack of outer roll presenting an single unbroken flat surface of the pad, but they just appear larger than other pads. Until you actually get them side by side for direct comparison, I don't think anyone would guess these are actually standard dimensions. 

Sounds like an OPT1Kal illusion to me