Brian's Gear

TheGoalNet

On 2/22/2018 at 12:05 AM, Urabus33 said:

Anyone here skating in Heritage? Not many user reviews on the net and looking for some opinions.

I very occasionally play with a guy that has a full set whose opinion I could ask (though that's like once every two months).

Just from watching, they remind me a lot of a Vaughn pad kind of, lighter on the strapping though. Hard to describe, they're traditional while not sacrificing modern features. I have very little knowledge of the gloves, though I have tried them on. They come across as rather minimal, but in a pleasing way.

15 hours ago, insertnamehere said:

@mik nice gloves. I love my Gnetik glove.

Thanks. I´m not decided yet, best fitting glove for me is custom Bauer Totalone/NXG. There was chance to grab those for good price, so I couldn´t resist try.  

I like to have my glove tight on had, but there is different straping without traditional velcro strap over fingers. But the glove remidns me feel of baseball glove (is it silly?), when I used to play - lot of years ago. And I still like that feel ;) . Back finger protection should be better, but I don´t play in "rough leagues" anymore, so it is ok.  Blocker is fine, I´m usualy not picky about blockers.   

15 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Is the glove an SZ or a GNetik? 

Yes, Gnetik 1st with custom SZ graphic.

7 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

That’s what it looks like. Hopefully it does not have the external pro palm. Great concept, but lead to closure concerns 

Anti Raanta pro return, so it has pro palm. You are right,  closure concern is there, but this is not so big problem for me...

Edited by mik

Here's a photo dump of my Optik gloves featuring comparisons to my DX2 intermediate gloves and a scale image of my hand.

For a few words regarding the gloves: of course I love them, I'd be a fool not to. They'll need some time to break in, but the glove, even with an intermediate palm is definitely a tad large for me, which strains my thumb and fingers a bit, also making it hard for me to close it. I've gotten to play in them once and it was a good time, albeit I was psyched out the whole time. They dried out in a matter of hours of them being in an environment to air out while opened.

I took some shots right to the palm of the glove and could feel the shots, but no form of pain whatsoever, which has been a problem for me in every other glove I've ever used. I'm a fan of the angle of the board on the blocker having come from my DX2's gradual curve.

The blocker is great. I get what some mean by the strap feeling a bit far onto the hand, but I'm used to it from the DX2 blocker and I've never tightened a blocker strap, I wear the things incredibly loose. I strap the glove down rather tight on the wrist and fingers with with only small amount of slack in the hand.

tjTOZK3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Mike24 said:

Do any of you have or tried on the Brian’s Alite SR trapper ?   I thinking about picking one up.  Looking for some input. 

Is that the new SR-level series?

Wow, I just looked it up. That thing looks fantastic. And being Brian's you know its going to be quality, even if non-Pro level. The leg pads look pretty great, too. 

• Like 1

I noticed that it was really tough for me to catch anything with the GNetik1 as compared to the 2. Strapping on the 2nd model is much better love the feel of inside glove. It has taken me almost a year to get used to catching with this GNetik 2(only play 1 - 2 times a week in winter) but it's miles better than the 1.

Finally decided between my Brians Optik-Vaughn VE8 debate and the downpayment has been officially put on my card! 

OPTD5aaa6d5b3adcd-pads.png.7bbd23fb97de7d31c62e36f27a5d54a5.pngOPTD5aaa6d5b3adcd-blocker.png.55aeeb24e1085f30e3b478568e927c22.pngOPTD5aaa6d5b3adcd-catch.png.b2d975704fa8ea5a59d3e677d6ad7af4.png

Pads:

FLY core
80 degree taper/soft boot

32+1.5" (skate size 8, ATK 17", thigh 8.5")

X strapping with independent knee velcro

#34 embroidered into calf elastic

(all the red is red weave minus the air knit)

Glove/Blocker:

Blocker is totally stock

Boa system

Floating Anchor T w/ white skate lace 

INT palm

Extra break in time for "finger to thumb" closure angle

Excited to see how they turn out! Hoping the black stitching looks just as good in person as it does on the customizer.

Edited by Aquilzz
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Congrats @Aquilzz

Brian’s just posted a grey set on their IG and it looks great. Nice color choice 

Thank-you! Your "deep dive" video on the pads especially convinced me to not only go Optik, but go FLY core as well. And it was trying out the Boa/pads in store that put the icing on the cake. 

But it's actually not grey! It's their "metallic silver" colour. I fell in love with it when I saw some sets made with it on their IG page. 

I tried my best to match them with my old rep hockey jerseys, but didn't want to add TOO much red or black as I play with a lot of teams and don't have one set jersey colour :( 

IMG_1924.thumb.JPG.99cf2570556ab92aa0e6912d39ea0f91.JPGIMG_1925.thumb.JPG.5aacacdbebe17a98b745a86defbfcc48.JPG

Edited by Aquilzz
format

54 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

Thank-you! Your "deep dive" video on the pads especially convinced me to not only go Optik, but go FLY core as well. And it was trying out the Boa/pads in store that put the icing on the cake. 

But it's actually not grey! It's their "metallic silver" colour. I fell in love with it when I saw some sets made with it on their IG page. 

I tried my best to match them with my old rep hockey jerseys, but didn't want to add TOO much red or black as I play with a lot of teams and don't have one set jersey colour :( 

IMG_1924.thumb.JPG.99cf2570556ab92aa0e6912d39ea0f91.JPGIMG_1925.thumb.JPG.5aacacdbebe17a98b745a86defbfcc48.JPG

You're in Niagara right? Did you have Warriors a few months ago?

17 minutes ago, Hills said:

You're in Niagara right? Did you have Warriors a few months ago?

Yep to Niagara! But nope, I went from Vaughn Pro V Elites to poorly fitting CCM Eflex 3s. 

Only pieces of Warrior I have is a CR3 stick (wanted to try their new line without shelling for a CR1) and a set of knee pads as I needed more cushion for dropping down to my butterfly.

18 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

Finally decided between my Brians Optik-Vaughn VE8 debate and the downpayment has been officially put on my card! 

Pads:

FLY core
80 degree taper/soft boot

32+1.5" (skate size 8, ATK 17", thigh 8.5")

X strapping with independent knee velcro

#34 embroidered into calf elastic

Glove/Blocker:

Blocker is totally stock

Boa system

Floating Anchor T w/ white skate lace 

INT palm

Extra break in time for "finger to thumb" closure angle

Excited to see how they turn out! Hoping the black stitching looks just as good in person as it does on the customizer.

Those look great!

21 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Those look great!

Thank-you! Brian's posted a metallic silver set on their IG recently which made me love my decision even more. Jury's still out on me going for black stitching instead of white, however!

IMG_1945.thumb.PNG.d6b6b0fbe5e27a5826b244cfd23bc1b8.PNG

Does anyone know if you can manually replace the wires on the BOA dials on the Optik glove and blocker if they were to break? Obviously they probably aren't really in a position to be under enough stress to break but I'm seriously considering getting the glove and blocker and I wanted to ask this first.