Mask Weight

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far it looks like the typical mask weight is around 2.5 to 3.5 lbs. 

I'm actually surprised that my ReidiC is on the low end of the weight scale. I was always told that ABS masks are heavy and (high-end) carbon-fiber masks are light. But it looks like my ABS mask is equal or lighter weight than high-end carbon-fiber masks. Huh, interesting.

24 minutes ago, beansbats said:

Very interesting thread.  When I have time I'll weigh a couple of my masks.  Although measuring a mask with cage and foam attached isn't an accurate reflection of shell weight.

-steve

I don't know about you but I like to wear my masks with foam and a cage, so I'd rather know what the actual weight is going to be on my head.

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

Since using a Reidic, anything else weighs so much more. Heaviest I`ve worn was Simmons (early versions) and Hackva.

Hackva was definitely the heaviest I've worn, especially when I put Shocktec foam in it.  But I'll say one thing, it was so solid my head never budged when I took a shot off the lid.  Sometimes I wouldn't even realize I was hit until I took it off and saw puck marks...lol.  Wanna say it was close to 4 lbs when all was said and done.

6 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

Hackva was definitely the heaviest I've worn, especially when I put Shocktec foam in it.  But I'll say one thing, it was so solid my head never budged when I took a shot off the lid.  Sometimes I wouldn't even realize I was hit until I took it off and saw puck marks...lol.  Wanna say it was close to 4 lbs when all was said and done.

Loved my old Hackva too... heavy, but well balanced with great protection and an even better price point. Still wouldn't go back from my 960 though...

21 hours ago, CG35 said:

Loved my old Hackva too... heavy, but well balanced with great protection and an even better price point. Still wouldn't go back from my 960 though...

Love the look of the 960, my all time favorite design, just wished they fit my head.

22 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

shocktec foam, how did that perform , im thinking about replacing the foam in my mask with that

20 hours ago, Znowleopard said:

shocktec foam, how did that perform , im thinking about replacing the foam in my mask with that

Most protective foam I've ever used that's also comfortable.  A little on the heavy side, but that's because there's gel in it.  Very similar to Maltese's stuff, in fact the company that makes Shocktec(Kemmler Products) was Phil's original source.  I like that I can buy direct from the company and just do my own mods with it.  A good size roll of 3/8" only costs around $60 and I've used it for everything...masks, player helmets, neck guards, beef up chesty's, knee guards, cups, etc...  The only negative other than the weight is it is very difficult to cut cleanly.  Heating up a blade is probably the best way, but I've never taken the time to try.  They make it with one side finished with a fabric material, so it is very easy to glue as well.

I found out about it one day when I was checking out my brother's SWAT gear.  They use it as padding under the ballistic armor in their vests and helmets to protect against the blunt force trauma of absorbing a bullet.  Fortunately he's never had first hand experience with its effectiveness, but it just felt like nothing I had ever used before, so I looked it up.

I can't confirm it, but I know Sara @ PAW is using an "HD Airgel" as an upgrade now, pretty sure its Shocktec. 

3 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

Most protective foam I've ever used that's also comfortable.  A little on the heavy side, but that's because there's gel in it.  Very similar to Maltese's stuff, in fact the company that makes Shocktec(Kemmler Products) was Phil's original source.  I like that I can buy direct from the company and just do my own mods with it.  A good size roll of 3/8" only costs around $60 and I've used it for everything...masks, player helmets, neck guards, beef up chesty's, knee guards, cups, etc...  The only negative other than the weight is it is very difficult to cut cleanly.  Heating up a blade is probably the best way, but I've never taken the time to try.  They make it with one side finished with a fabric material, so it is very easy to glue as well.

I found out about it one day when I was checking out my brother's SWAT gear.  They use it as padding under the ballistic armor in their vests and helmets to protect against the blunt force trauma of absorbing a bullet.  Fortunately he's never had first hand experience with its effectiveness, but it just felt like nothing I had ever used before, so I looked it up.

I can't confirm it, but I know Sara @ PAW is using an "HD Airgel" as an upgrade now, pretty sure its Shocktec. 

Yea, pretty sure you're right. This is the "gel" she uses (probably SHOCKtec Gel):

viscogelweb.jpg

This is the Airgel she uses (probably SHOCKtec Air2Gel):

HDairgel.jpg

19 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I wondered how close it was to Maltese. Are you saying this is originally what Phil was using? Or just the same company making it (and therefore likely VERY similar)? 

He was originally using the gel, then switched to the air2gel.  Supposedly Kemmler had an issue meeting Phil's orders or demands or whatever and he took his business elsewhere.  Personally I think he always wanted it to be proprietary and Kemmler wouldn't go for it.  Can't blame him and I'm quite surprised nobody has tried to compete with him yet.  The product is readily available and not that expensive.

1 hour ago, jayluv54 said:

He was originally using the gel, then switched to the air2gel.  Supposedly Kemmler had an issue meeting Phil's orders or demands or whatever and he took his business elsewhere.  Personally I think he always wanted it to be proprietary and Kemmler wouldn't go for it.  Can't blame him and I'm quite surprised nobody has tried to compete with him yet.  The product is readily available and not that expensive.

Interesting... Well maybe I'll buy some of each and mess around! 

17 hours ago, HockeyBum said:

Hackva with Shocktec and dangler on it. 3.33 lbs

IMG_3355.JPG

My Hackva is in desperate need of new padding if I wanted to bring it back into the fold. But it’s interesting that the Shocktec likely adds ~1/2 lb. Did you do a full Shoctec swap or minimal amounts? Perhaps just a few picks of the guts for us. 

Archived