Goalie Equipment Quality Thoughts

Awgoalie164

So there are a lot of companies offering different kinds of goalie pads. I like the feel of the Bauer Vapor X900’s for a full set but I am not positive they will last at least 2 years. It’s every expensive and time consuming to buy new equipment each year and break it in for the season. I like the sliding edge of the Bauer’s because it is so fast and I am movin on the ice the most and I love the easy strapping. But at the same time when it comes down to it I want a pad that’s gonna last me and have all of these features. If you have any comments or ideas of the best and longest lasting equipment please let me know!!! Also for some added information I am on the ice about 5 of the 7 days of the week and I work with a goalie coach about 1 time every 2-3 weeks. I am down a lot and am strong at pushing. The last pads I had were a set of CCM Premier R1.9s Intermediate 32+1 and they wore out in less than a year. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With a pair of slide plates for inline, I made a pair of RBK 8K's (a low to mid-line senior model) last 8 years.  Yes, they slowly turned into EFlexes, but they were intended to last 2-3 years per Reebok or GoalieMonkey.  They were also super comfy and I could still use them if I had to.  I finally jumped on a clearance sale for a Warrior G2 senior pad and have been using these for 2 years now.  Hoping to get another 6 and then get these sweet new G4's on clearance.    Read up on taking care of your gear and do that and you won't have to be so worried about which model is going to last the longest.  I would start a thread asking which brands you should stay away from and then pick what you like best out of the choices that are left. 

15 minutes ago, dreadlocked1 said:

With a pair of slide plates for inline, I made a pair of RBK 8K's (a low to mid-line senior model) last 8 years.  Yes, they slowly turned into EFlexes, but they were intended to last 2-3 years per Reebok or GoalieMonkey.  They were also super comfy and I could still use them if I had to.  I finally jumped on a clearance sale for a Warrior G2 senior pad and have been using these for 2 years now.  Hoping to get another 6 and then get these sweet new G4's on clearance.    Read up on taking care of your gear and do that and you won't have to be so worried about which model is going to last the longest.  I would start a thread asking which brands you should stay away from and then pick what you like best out of the choices that are left. 

Thank you

From personal experience, I've had nothing but good products from Warrior and Brian's. Granted I'm only playing low level beer league 1-2 times a week, but I've had zero complaints with either brand as far as pads/gloves go.

I've been using my G2's for almost 2 years, and I have slight wear on the tops of the pad where they overlap sometimes (narrow-ish butterfly to blame). Other than that, everything is still intact. No fraying, holes, etc. Pretty impressive for Sr. level gear.

My Brian's stuff was awesome too. Zero G pads/gloves were older pro returns. The pads were still straight/stiff when I sold them, no settling at all from what I could tell. Their Canadian made stuff is worth every penny. G-Netik gloves I had were great also.

Being in the same boat, I am planning to be an avid watcher of this thread, so I can't really give too much advice. My only comment would be that I would be hard pressed to buy any more Bauer soft goods. I typically play twice a week, and after the 1st season my Bauer CA needed to be re-stitched where the sleeve attaches to the shoulder. Sure it wasn't a high end pro model, but conversely, went through 2 Cooper SA-55s in 16 years of minor hockey/beer league as a teen and young adult. To that end, the only reason I got the second was because it got to a point where the washing machine was going to melt down before I ever got any of the permabonded mold out of the first.

Conversely, while not necessarily flying a flag, all my Vaughn stuff seems to have lasted very well (pads and gloves)

If you're looking for quality, Brian's wins. I don't think that can even be argued. Even if they aren't your thing/not your style/don't like them I think it's hard to look past them when it comes to quality. That's also true at the low end, if that's the range you're looking for.

If my budget was in the senior mid-level pad range, which it sounds like yours is based on what you've used previously.  I would go with Warrior.  However, if money was no object and considering today's pad construction, I would likely go with Brian's or Warrior still for performance and longevity.

On 3/15/2018 at 10:17 AM, Ghostender said:

Being in the same boat, I am planning to be an avid watcher of this thread, so I can't really give too much advice. My only comment would be that I would be hard pressed to buy any more Bauer soft goods. I typically play twice a week, and after the 1st season my Bauer CA needed to be re-stitched where the sleeve attaches to the shoulder. Sure it wasn't a high end pro model, but conversely, went through 2 Cooper SA-55s in 16 years of minor hockey/beer league as a teen and young adult. To that end, the only reason I got the second was because it got to a point where the washing machine was going to melt down before I ever got any of the permabonded mold out of the first.

Conversely, while not necessarily flying a flag, all my Vaughn stuff seems to have lasted very well (pads and gloves)

Thank you

23 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

If you're looking for quality, Brian's wins. I don't think that can even be argued. Even if they aren't your thing/not your style/don't like them I think it's hard to look past them when it comes to quality. That's also true at the low end, if that's the range you're looking for.

Thank you so much

18 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Here's how my senior RGT's have been holding up after almost a year worth of use. On the ice only 2-3 times a week, but there is still TONS of life left in this gear and I'm not worried about any further major wear for another year or so.

I read your review and I have not had a good expierience with Warrior to it would take a lot for me to buy them but I am very interested in the sliding surface of teh G4's

On 3/15/2018 at 8:17 AM, Ghostender said:

...Conversely, while not necessarily flying a flag, all my Vaughn stuff seems to have lasted very well (pads and gloves)

Let me recant a bit - the actual playing gear has been good, but I will never buy another equipment bag from Vaughn - the wheeled bag I bought was a crappy design and started falling apart before the end of the first season. For the record, I treat my kit bag very gently, always lowered out of the back of the truck, and slid gently down small flights of steps - not of this thump , thump, thump down the stairs.

Edit: Having said that, I am thinking the next bag I get will be smaller (and cheaper) with no wheels and I will go back to slinging the pads over my shoulder

1 hour ago, Ghostender said:

Edit: Having said that, I am thinking the next bag I get will be smaller (and cheaper) with no wheels and I will go back to slinging the pads over my shoulder

We'll reinstate your man card too.*

*(this is in fun - not meant to hurt any feelings)

3 hours ago, Awgoalie164 said:

I read your review and I have not had a good expierience with Warrior to it would take a lot for me to buy them but I am very interested in the sliding surface of teh G4's

No worries, I ain't here to change your mind. Just giving information and my experience.

3 hours ago, Awgoalie164 said:

What's the sliding surface like on the G4's

DS9SUqyW0AA8IcN.thumb.jpg.6971f722f2de4dc461ef260096cde3b7.jpg

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎15 at 9:17 AM, Ghostender said:

Have a similar issue with Pro 1S Bauer Chest. There are fabric tears near the elbows on each arm. Pretty disappointing for under 1 year of wear. I feel like I'm done with Bauer and switching to Brian's for my next set.  My pro NXG gloves wore out quickly as well.

7 hours ago, Awgoalie164 said:

What's the sliding surface like on the G4's

I'll let you know once I get my hands on them and hit the ice... checking Insta every day hoping to see them completed and on the way.!!

What sort of issues have you had with Warrior products so far..?

19 hours ago, CG35 said:

I'll let you know once I get my hands on them and hit the ice... checking Insta every day hoping to see them completed and on the way.!!

What sort of issues have you had with Warrior products so far..?

Well my chesty didn’t fall apart but it was one of the least protective things I’ve ever worn. I was getting stinger left and right, especially the shoulder area. The worst experience though would’ve had to of been the intermediate G2’s. They literally were falling apart in not even 6 months of use. The Velcro was falling off, there were slices all over the face of the pad, and the leg channel was disintegrating the more I used them. I also tried the Warrior Ritual X goal pants which started to rip on the lower part of the leg holes due to warriors own knee guards. 

Yeah, my Warrior Ritual Pro pants may be the most repaired piece of equipment I have... re-stitching of the front flaps and inner belly flap, along with cracked inner edges on the thigh pads. The speedy stitcher made short work of that though. 

I assume you were not in the Ritual Pro or G2 C/A unit..? Something more traditionally styled..?

It's unfortunate to hear the intermediate G2's didn't hold-up as well as my G2 Custom Pro's... I've taken many skates to the face of my pads from guys sliding in and never left any sort of noticeable marks. The only skate cut I had was on the rear edge of the boot where I literally got stepped on... a little glue fixed that up pretty quick. Even my original velcro is still in good shape.

Hopefully you have better luck with whatever you choose for a set-up this time around.

Archived