Prolaces Thread

• 5 months later...

Their FB says they added a waxed lace cover over it for better wear resistance. I'd never seen their product before until now. Looks like a HAL strap.

The part I don't quite understand is how its going to stretch with a lace covering it, unless the lace itself isn't attached at the velcro end? It makes sense, since my HAL strap cord is definitely getting worn from rubbing between the ice and the cowling. 

22136907_1932482657004724_77186812261151

16 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Hmm, that is an interesting way of doing it.  I see what you mean since the lace looks like its sewn into the leather along with the cord.  When I read your post prior to scrolling down to the picture I assumed it would be floating over the lace.  

Yea that was the first question I had.. how does it stretch if its sewn in? I'm guessing the shock cord is stitched in and the lace just floats (and is JUST long enough to barely go inside the jenpro, but only to the stitch line). 

I'm a bit surprised the stitching holds the cord in so well though. Also, it seems like there's no good way to adjust the length yourself. That's one thing I definitely like about the Monster version. 

Looking at their site I'm honestly shocked to see so many pros wearing these. I thought they were all still wearing laces. 

4 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Yea that was the first question I had.. how does it stretch if its sewn in? I'm guessing the shock cord is stitched in and the lace just floats (and is JUST long enough to barely go inside the jenpro, but only to the stitch line). 

I'm a bit surprised the stitching holds the cord in so well though. Also, it seems like there's no good way to adjust the length yourself. That's one thing I definitely like about the Monster version. 

Looking at their site I'm honestly shocked to see so many pros wearing these. I thought they were all still wearing laces. 

That's what I like better about the HAL straps as well but I have read too much negative feedback about Monster so I would prefer not to deal with them.

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

....It makes sense, since my HAL strap cord is definitely getting worn from rubbing between the ice and the cowling. 

I posted an image of my homemade toe-ties somewhere on this sight. I think it shows the (blue) nylon sheath I put on there to take care of that problem (which was copied form the original "Flex-toe" design)

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That's what I like better about the HAL straps as well but I have read too much negative feedback about Monster so I would prefer not to deal with them.

You're the second person today to tell me about negative feedback. That's surprising, they were well regarded on GGSU when they first came on the scene. I wonder what happened. 

I don't use HAL anymore, I use the pro bridge (where the cord is laced into your skate and you use a tab in a velcro toe bridge). Great for fat guys like me. Prior to that I used to attach my pads to my skates before putting my skates on... lol. 

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

great products... too big, too fast... can't meet demand on even "in stock" items...

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

You're the second person today to tell me about negative feedback. That's surprising, they were well regarded on GGSU when they first came on the scene. I wonder what happened. 

I don't use HAL anymore, I use the pro bridge (where the cord is laced into your skate and you use a tab in a velcro toe bridge). Great for fat guys like me. Prior to that I used to attach my pads to my skates before putting my skates on... lol. 

LOL i do this with my pro laces now!  I prefer festively plump...

34 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

great products... too big, too fast... can't meet demand on even "in stock" items...

+1 on the bad experience with Monster. Terrible time ordering, missed the lead time excessively, product did not attach as advertised, and the velcro used in the knee blocks is wearing already. I heard some positive feedback from him recently and talked him about something else and had another very unusual dealing with him.  With Pro Laces, PAW, etc out there, people do have options. 

HOWEVER, other than the premature velcro wear, I can say nothing bad about his products. The knee blocks and bacon straps perform amazingly. I have the knee blocks in my both my pads. I think with Monster you have to have proper expectations no matter you are told at the point of sale. 

In the right situation I would order from him again, it would just not be my first option 

6 hours ago, cwarnar said:

You would very well know the root of those issues... that are still sadly prevalent to this day.  
I just feel like they have to continually apologize to their customers day after day for constant delays.

As for the prolaces with the lace covering - this is a similar idea to what Monster had with their sheath, just done in a cleaner fashion, and allows for a more traditional appearance. 

54 minutes ago, Big2 said:

My son used a set last year - and while they are great I found that due to their design they scratched the top of the toe caps of his skates. I ended up having to tape them with clear tape so as to avoid the issue.

I never used the screws. I used a lace for both my pairs and it works amazingly. It's the glove style lace that would come stock in a retail glove 

1 hour ago, Big2 said:

TGN thanks for the feedback but he know has the Brians smart strap

Okay. That's where I stole the attachment style from, it's how Brian's does the toe attachment. When I went cowlingless, I found the smart strap to be too lose and switched 

My Optik pads are coming with intermediate smart toe straps. I'll bring getting the new pro laces and will test them both 

12 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Okay. That's where I stole the attachment style from, it's how Brian's does the toe attachment. When I went cowlingless, I found the smart strap to be too lose and switched 

My Optik pads are coming with intermediate smart toe straps. I'll bring getting the new pro laces and will test them both 

That was my biggest problem with the Brians also, I found them to be way too long. 

Well did you guys use them properly my son wears size 10 Bauer Reactor skates and he has no issues? 

You are supposed to crisscross them twice around the bottom of the skates and then bring them over the top to close the Velcro together!

I don't believe his are intermediate smart straps 34 + 2 pads

Sorry was not trying to be rude - but the goalie shop has a good instructional on how to properly use them! When we got his pads I was not sure on how to use the system, they have the best explanation out there that I could find - perfect fit!

10 hours ago, Big2 said:

Well did you guys use them properly my son wears size 10 Bauer Reactor skates and he has no issues? 

You are supposed to crisscross them twice around the bottom of the skates and then bring them over the top to close the Velcro together!

I don't believe his are intermediate smart straps 34 + 2 pads

Yes.

21 minutes ago, Big2 said:

Sorry was not trying to be rude - but the goalie shop has a good instructional on how to properly use them! When we got his pads I was not sure on how to use the system, they have the best explanation out there that I could find - perfect fit!

I think some of this comes down to preference and skate model. I liked them with a cowling and found them too big without

i like how the elastic straps can feel very tight and still move when they need to