Prolaces Thread

On 10/2/2017 at 9:57 PM, Big2 said:

My son used a set last year - and while they are great I found that due to their design they scratched the top of the toe caps of his skates. I ended up having to tape them with clear tape so as to avoid the issue.

On 10/2/2017 at 10:52 PM, TheGoalNet said:

I never used the screws. I used a lace for both my pairs and it works amazingly. It's the glove style lace that would come stock in a retail glove 

@TheGoalNet I saw that post on IG... good thought. I had the same issue as @Big2's son with Pro Laces, and I also had significant wear on the shock cord itself, which could have been a result of the Vertexx Cowlings I thrown on my Graf boot at the time. I went and bought a couple sets of HALs but definitely more interested in trying the Pro Laces Armor. Anyone out there have a set already and can speak to comparing it w/ the original Pro Laces and HALs?

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Here’s a video on the new Pro Laces Armor

@BadAngle41 - check out how I tie my pro laces in, I show it at the end 

Solid Red... will these be finding their way onto the new Optiks??? Also, I think I need to come up with a logo for myself. It'll probably be lame, but it can't be any worse than the random inspirational phrases I've been using in a sad attempt to convince myself they have some powerful reminder message that allows me to clear my head and focus on the "task" at hand.

1 hour ago, 1C5 said:

@BadAngle41 the new Armor ones seem to be lasting me way longer than the original ones. They are a nice upgrade. 

I appreciate the reply. Maybe it's because they're based in Quebec... maybe I just like the construction & tension more... but I think I have a soft spot for Pro Laces over HALs. No knock on HALs on either front... just personal preference. 

15 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Solid Red... will these be finding their way onto the new Optiks??? Also, I think I need to come up with a logo for myself. It'll probably be lame, but it can't be any worse than the random inspirational phrases I've been using in a sad attempt to convince myself they have some powerful reminder message that allows me to clear my head and focus on the "task" at hand.

I appreciate the reply. Maybe it's because they're based in Quebec... maybe I just like the construction & tension more... but I think I have a soft spot for Pro Laces over HALs. No knock on HALs on either front... just personal preference. 

I despise inspiration phrases. 

I'd love to try Pro Laces, but the velcro toe bridge from Monster has completely won me over. I'll probably just add lace exterior just like Pro Laces on a new set of Monster Pro Bridge toe ties because I can't give up the velcro. 

2 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I despise inspiration phrases. 

I'd love to try Pro Laces, but the velcro toe bridge from Monster has completely won me over. I'll probably just add lace exterior just like Pro Laces on a new set of Monster Pro Bridge toe ties because I can't give up the velcro. 

Oh Monster Hockey... what won't you slap some Hook and Loop on? I've never tried them, but good alternative solution.

2 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Eventually... will test the new smart strap first. 

8 hours ago, 1C5 said:

I had the same issue with the screw rubbing on my skate and on the cord and the screws even came unscrewed during a game once so I bought these cap things from Home Depot. It solved all the issues. 

This works too... but I would recommend tying them in. It's lighter weight and does not come loose. You can tie them loose to let the prolaces move with your skate more, like a sliding toe bridge, or tie them tight so it feels like the screwed in method 

4 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

This works too... but I would recommend tying them in. It's lighter weight and does not come loose. You can tie them loose to let the prolaces move with your skate more, like a sliding toe bridge, or tie them tight so it feels like the screwed in method 

While I had some downtime between games I sent my toe bridges to Mike and he ran the laces right through the bridge itself.  No attachment parts necessary.  Of course, if these break I am screwed.  I still have my first set as a backup though.

After playing like a dumpster fire last evening I decided a change is needed... if nothing else to make me feel like i'm doing something. So having looked over my equipment in the locker room as I could only look down... I found a frayed HAL toe strap... they're fired!!! Pro Laces are getting the call back up from the locker to the show. But this time... I'm taking the advise of @TheGoalNet and using a waxed lace to tie them in and avoid more toe cap scratches. Enjoy the pictures from this afternoon's working lunch...

A little inspirational phrase for @IPv6Freely on the outgoing HALs...

59f3956fcb96b_ProLaces01.jpg.1886f94dfe3bcca47ac698f61e441c51.jpg

The offending tear (hard to get a good pic)...

59f3957060794_ProLaces02.jpg.715aabd63736d2c20dab2166e61b4322.jpg

Pro Laces and waxed skate lace (not sure why I had a black set lying around, I wear yellow in my skates)...

59f3957103f4f_ProLaces03.jpg.32a58f3df6ac02b51ffada6a742a9e24.jpg

No screws... just pull the lace through...

59f39571a006b_ProLaces04.jpg.284095d90b13dfdba5c2ec5762441514.jpg

Tighten down...

59f395724180e_ProLaces05.jpg.9020852104a1a460c84bbc6cb9208f88.jpg

Confirm the front face is flat...

59f39572e6fc0_ProLaces06.jpg.9efb95c96f4762301f08e3e5b58ed0b2.jpg

Snip snip and a lighter to melt the ends... like a surgeon...

59f39573996fd_ProLaces07.jpg.ebf25b6a4e0a8c1733a75ff72644b07b.jpg

Done... (@TheGoalNet note my number is 41 next to you're getting custom equipment you're looking to sell)...

59f3957446066_ProLaces08.jpg.89d778049edd1a2cf0ff2022221cde8a.jpg

I do know that some will as why I didn't put the knots outside and keep the inside a nice flat surface against my toe cap... the answer is I was feeling superficial and just liked the clean look on the outside. 

Curious if anyone has tried using the Toe Hook . I switched my laces out for these about 8 months ago, and have been really pleased. Really strong and has just about the exact right amount of tension to keep the pad reactive but also not put any strain on my ankle. 

I was initially a little worried about the velcro holding it to the skate coming loose....but it's been 8 months of pretty heavy ice time, and it's just as tight as when I first put it on. 

But, not sure if they'll work out on my new pads (whatever those end up being), if they want to sit higher up on the foot, so I was thinking of ordering a pair of Pro Laces, just to try out. 

Edited by Puckducker

14 minutes ago, Puckducker said:

But, my not sure if they'll work out on my new pads (whatever those end up being), if they want to sit higher up on the foot, so I was thinking of ordering a pair of Pro Laces, just to try out. 

I can’t speak to toe-hook... but Pro Laces are worth a shot as are HALs. Let me know if you want to try a set of HALs. I have a blank set (used for a week or two) and a fresh unused set of the ones shown above with a little inspirational phrase. I won’t use, just DM me your address if you’re interested. 

On 10/27/2017 at 6:22 PM, TheGoalNet said:

You will like the lace attachment 

I do like the lace attachment... so obvious to change a lace I feel less than smart for not thinking of it earlier. 

Also with Tydan Steel being ordered today (and photo credit to @Mroy31, I hope you don't mind I piggy backed your image) I've been playing around with where to lace the Pro Laces through my holder. In Green is where I have been, and it felt sorta tight (relative to my HALs they're going to anyway) but in Blue is where I plan on trying this evening. Any other suggestions?

59fb0deec5aa6_ProLaces09.jpg.77a0a30cd78205f5d10d71a24d681624.jpg

4 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

I do like the lace attachment... so obvious to change a lace I feel less than smart for not thinking of it earlier. 

Also with Tydan Steel being ordered today (and photo credit to @Mroy31, I hope you don't mind I piggy backed your image) I've been playing around with where to lace the Pro Laces through my holder. In Green is where I have been, and it felt sorta tight (relative to my HALs they're going to anyway) but in Blue is where I plan on trying this evening. Any other suggestions?

When I was using S190s (w/Tydan btw, great steel) I went with the blue areas. ProLaces seem like an excellent product but this is one area where the HAL design is prob superior - you can change the length of the shock cord to fit your strapping set up. You can also replace with easy-to-find shock cord of varying thicknesses and tension as well. 

Not trying to knock ProLaces - there could be reasons people prefer the simplicity of that design as well, just pointing out a difference. 

2 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

When I was using S190s (w/Tydan btw, great steel) I went with the blue areas. ProLaces seem like an excellent product but this is one area where the HAL design is prob superior - you can change the length of the shock cord to fit your strapping set up. You can also replace with easy-to-find shock cord of varying thicknesses and tension as well. 

Not trying to knock ProLaces - there could be reasons people prefer the simplicity of that design as well, just pointing out a difference. 

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I just got thru the big hole in the center with either the Pro Laces or the Brian's Smart Strap 

I totally agree with you (@Punisher Goalie) on the product agility of HALs with the adjustable length, but wish their shock cord was a heavier gauge. That's one of the reasons I've gone back to Pro Laces. I'll give it a try tonight and see how it does. Middle of the road league, so it's as close as a beer league practice gets. Lets me try stuff like this out w/o any real ramifications. I appreciate the notes back.

17 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I totally agree with you (@Punisher Goalie) on the product agility of HALs with the adjustable length, but wish their shock cord was a heavier gauge. That's one of the reasons I've gone back to Pro Laces. I'll give it a try tonight and see how it does. Middle of the road league, so it's as close as a beer league practice gets. Lets me try stuff like this out w/o any real ramifications. I appreciate the notes back.

I'm going to put some laces on my HALs to be like Pro Laces. I did see that Monster actually already does sell sleeves for their HALs though, but I like the look of standard laces :) 

2 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I'm going to put some laces on my HALs to be like Pro Laces. I did see that Monster actually already does sell sleeves for their HALs though, but I like the look of standard laces :) 

I guess that's another aspect of HALs... you're able to slide on a sleeve as they're just knotted at each end instead of sewn in.

2 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I guess that's another aspect of HALs... you're able to slide on a sleeve as they're just knotted at each end instead of sewn in.

Yea. It also depends on how stretchy they are. Eg. I bought a set of Bauer's new stretch toe ties that look like regular laces, but I found that they didn't stretch enough for my liking. That's a big part of the equation for me. 

I found the Brian's and the Passau clone of Brians were way too loose and almost stretched too much. Not being able to shorten them meant they weren't doing anything.