Prolaces Thread

4 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

I do like the lace attachment... so obvious to change a lace I feel less than smart for not thinking of it earlier. 

Also with Tydan Steel being ordered today (and photo credit to @Mroy31, I hope you don't mind I piggy backed your image) I've been playing around with where to lace the Pro Laces through my holder. In Green is where I have been, and it felt sorta tight (relative to my HALs they're going to anyway) but in Blue is where I plan on trying this evening. Any other suggestions?

59fb0deec5aa6_ProLaces09.jpg.77a0a30cd78205f5d10d71a24d681624.jpg

I don't have those holders, my skates have the one80 cowlings, but I don't snake my Pro Laces twice like I did with toe ties.  I criss cross them at the front of the skate and run them down the skate and directly through the larger middle slot of the cowling.

2 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

When I was using S190s (w/Tydan btw, great steel) I went with the blue areas. ProLaces seem like an excellent product but this is one area where the HAL design is prob superior - you can change the length of the shock cord to fit your strapping set up. You can also replace with easy-to-find shock cord of varying thicknesses and tension as well. 

Not trying to knock ProLaces - there could be reasons people prefer the simplicity of that design as well, just pointing out a difference. 

That's the one design feature that I like about the HAL straps.

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I just got thru the big hole in the center with either the Pro Laces or the Brian's Smart Strap 

Same here.

30 minutes ago, Goalieinneed said:

@TheGoalNeti reached out through email and instagram i got a reply on insta saying that they will reply to me on monday

i was super excited to use the hal straps and i loved them if i knew they wouldnt even last 4hrs i would have never bought them

They normally aren’t a problem. Not sure why they were in your case.

I find Monster Hockey pretty baffling. I know that myself, @bunnyman666, @cwarnar, and @Mroy31 all had varying issues of one type or another. I find this shocking for a company this small making simple products. 

I’m aware of Jeff’s health issues, but his business could be run better. 

The issues relate to customer service, lead times, or product durability. Yet, I find people are very loyal and almost denfensive of the products...

maybe this is a new thread on its own... but can someone elaborate why? 

Monster is not doing anything that unique that PAW, Factory Mad, WGD, or Pro Laces can’t do with a better experience 

24 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I find Monster Hockey pretty baffling. I know that myself, @bunnyman666, @cwarnar, and @Mroy31 all had varying issues of one type or another. I find this shocking for a company this small making simple products. 

The issues relate to customer service, lead times, or product durability. Yet, I find people are very loyal and almost denfensive of the products...

Monster is not doing anything that unique that PAW, Factory Mad, WGD, or Pro Laces can’t do with a better experience 

This is precisely why I will not go with HAL straps over Pro Laces even though I prefer the design of the HAL straps.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Doobiesnax said:

I've suggested prolaces to a few people interested in toe lace replacements and the monster Hal supporters come outta the woodworks and you can't reason with them.  It's kinda strange.

It was the same way whenever anyone would mention sham sweatbands. Our come the monster supporters. 

Admittedly I was one of them. But that’s only because a) I think the kewl band is way better and b) the guy who makes the sham sweatbands has a bit of an attitude that rubs me the wrong way.

That said, back when I still used GGSU I hadn’t yet found a better toe tie. I still haven’t, really. 

I just don’t really care anymore.

4 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I just want to find the source of that elastic cord. But I am wondering if material is  starting to get cheaped out on. My K strap I bought in February  is totally stretched out. 

But back to my problems: mine were minor compared to others. I know that Laura, the VP, seems to have a bit of an attitude these days. I had ordered a bunch of the elastic. I had said please let me know if this can’t get to me by the weekend to let me know; if they don’t respond, I would be super pissed off. I added that I would not be angry IF they told me it would not be ready; but please don’t leave me hanging.  She told me to be more respectful with my tone. Once when I had not heard anything for three day, she told me three days was not long and that implied that I was being impatient.

With same day shipping being the norm, it makes one expect that from everyone. Now, if there was something on the page saying “hey- this is an item that is made to order, may take 2-5 days to be made”, that’s fine.

If I could source that elastic, I would not order from Monster. I don’t want to worry that it may be weeks if I don’t follow up. I may do the nylon web professor strap I saw on here.

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

It was the same way whenever anyone would mention sham sweatbands. Our come the monster supporters. 

Admittedly I was one of them. But that’s only because a) I think the kewl band is way better and b) the guy who makes the sham sweatbands has a bit of an attitude that rubs me the wrong way.

That said, back when I still used GGSU I hadn’t yet found a better toe tie. I still haven’t, really. 

The Bauer XPM sweat bands work great and are 2for $10

Just a heads up if you are still looking for a new one 

Baffling is the right word. I had such a good prepurchase experience with my knee blocks, the guy responding to their info email address was super helpful and responsive. But as soon as the order was in, I got zero response even on the questions I had about the tabs I wanted added to lace the blocks to my pads. Seems like Jeff just hasn't found, or doesn't want to hand any of the custom orders to some kind of partner/apprentice. Then things like a summer business trip (completely normal for him to go on as the owner) causes weeks long delays for all custom orders. 

Things like the sweat bands and HAL straps I would still be comfortable ordering, it seems like those kinds of things can be turned around fairly normally. But any other custom stuff I'd be looking at the others mentioned above. I'd probably even try pro laces for my next toe straps, Monster's products have all held up for me as advertised, but I'm not going to defend them to the ends of the earth 

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

The Bauer XPM sweat bands work great and are 2for $10

Just a heads up if you are still looking for a new one 

I wish it didn't cost several times the cost of the sweat bands to ship to Canada. I still need to google around to see if I can find some on this side of the border. 

11 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Really?  Jim is awesome!  I've never had a negative experience with him.  Very nice man in person as well.  We were at a camp together and in the locker room before one of the skates he noticed one of my Sham bands was a little mangled.  He just tossed me a new one free of charge.

9 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I just want to find the source of that elastic cord. But I am wondering if material is  starting to get cheaped out on. My K strap I bought in February  is totally stretched out. 

But back to my problems: mine were minor compared to others. I know that Laura, the VP, seems to have a bit of an attitude these days. I had ordered a bunch of the elastic. I had said please let me know if this can’t get to me by the weekend to let me know; if they don’t respond, I would be super pissed off. I added that I would not be angry IF they told me it would not be ready; but please don’t leave me hanging.  She told me to be more respectful with my tone. Once when I had not heard anything for three day, she told me three days was not long and that implied that I was being impatient.

With same day shipping being the norm, it makes one expect that from everyone. Now, if there was something on the page saying “hey- this is an item that is made to order, may take 2-5 days to be made”, that’s fine.

If I could source that elastic, I would not order from Monster. I don’t want to worry that it may be weeks if I don’t follow up. I may do the nylon web professor strap I saw on here.

Yea I have heard a few stories like this.  Fuck Monster.

17 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Really?  Jim is awesome!  I've never had a negative experience with him.  Very nice man in person as well.  We were at a camp together and in the locker room before one of the skates he noticed one of my Sham bands was a little mangled.  He just tossed me a new one free of charge.

Yea I have heard a few stories like this.  Fuck Monster.

There are so many different ways people come across on a forum versus how they come off in person. Hell- they may have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed that day they made the post that rubbed someone the wrong way. The person reading said post could have had a bad twinge in their neck or just had an argument with their spouse before getting on the internet. Written word does not allow for vocal inflection and the like. 

It’s really a shame about Monster because when speaking with Jeff, he is a SUPER nice fellow. I rooted for him for the longest time. But too many horror stories and then my own minor problems just kind of left me cold.