Building My New Set

dstew29

There may be a thread for this but I couldn’t find one so feel free to move as needed.

Backdrop:

I haven’t played since college circa 2004 (Wow I’m old AF!) but determined to get back in the beer leagues this year. I was in net from 8 yo to 21 yo previously though, so once a tendy always a trendy.

Gear I Still Have And Might Keep:

Mask - Promasque circa 1998. Would need new paint and new internals (thinking I’d go Maltese route - but need to research this more). Wish I knew which model but it had an air bladder to “customize fit”. Not sure if the shell is protective enough but would be nice to not drop $750- $1k on another bucket.

...that’s about it. My gear was way too small for me in hindsight and it’s probably a rats nest in my parents garage. I had 32” Brian’s “midnight” air pacs, koho revolution glove/blocker (I wanted those Roy 500 revolution pads to match in the worst way - still one of the dopest sets imo), Vaughn vision c/a, and koho pants (all circa late ‘90s), Riddel skates.

Gear I’m Considering:

Pads - think I’m 33”+1(ish). Not sure what thigh rise I want but might be 1 or 1.5. In no particular order, I’m liking:

- Brians Optik FLX - Don’t love stock graphic so I’d have to do custom here. Thinking the Kaskisuo graphic or some version of that I’d come up with.

- Bauer 2S Pro - I love the way these setup on ice in the demo vids I’ve seen. I actually like the simplicity of the stock graphic too. Could keep it stock or see if they do custom? I hear they’re super light too which i like. Brian’s is similar I’m sure.

- Vaughn PVE - This is a distant 3rd place but like the classic look and shape of these. Could be a contender.

Gloves - I’m a big proponent of sticking with same brand (note: i appreciate the irony since I mixed gear brands back when I played but beggars can’t be choosers!). I’d go Optik gloves, 2Spro gloves but for Vaughn’s I’d use a prior gen glove that opens up flat (think Kipper spec but don’t know the model no off hand)

Skates - I’ve tried on the new Bauer’s (vapor and supremes) and think they’re too tall. Right now I’m leaning towards:

- CCM AS1 - haven’t tried on but the Tacks from last year were very comfortable to me and I like the look of them, more traditional with the slim cowling which I like.

- Graf dm1080 - appreciated the good review on here from @Murray so these are still in the running. Local shop doesn’t carry them so sort of taking a flyer on them for now.

C/A - I have no basis to make a decision here. So I’ll survey the group to hopefully get a few good options. The new Optik line looked nice but again, no experience with anything current.

Pants - Again, same as C/A. It seems like the pros like Vaughn and maybe CCM? Need some help here as well.

Stick - This is something I’ll figure out last and I’m less concerned about. This is more trial and error for me. I’m used to the old Koho’s (which I loved) that probably feel like a kettlebell versus the new cores so anything new is a massive upgrade.

Knee pads - I get the sense these are a major must have now but I’ve never used them so I have no basis. Any good suggestions here are welcome.

Appreciate any feedback from the collective wisdom here and look forward to gettting “woke” on some of this stuff!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best advice I can offer is to not buy anything until you've tried it on. A lot's changed from the older gear you mentioned above. Most of that stuff doesn't hold a candle to what's out now. Reviews from other people are nice, but buying something on someone else's "Trust me" really doesn't mean dick. I'm not talking just from a money standpoint - someone who says a certain piece is awesome will put that in your brain and you may be left feeling disappointed or underwhelmed in the feel or quality when it's on your body.

Also, pieces of equipment I NEVER cheap out on

• Mask
  • Skates
  • Chest/arm

While I appreciate a good deal as much as anyone, hockey truly is a sport of "you get what you pay for".

Good luck.

10 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

Also, pieces of equipment I NEVER cheap out on

• Mask
  • Skates
  • Chest/arm

This... If you have a local shop to at least see and try some gear do it... the other you could go is grabbing some used stuff to demo and then invest in a set that you really want

Good suggestions all and noted on “try before buy”.

That said, there is a Pure Hockey nearby that I’ve visited a few times. Selection wasn’t great. The nearest goalie monkey is a healthy drive (2.5 hrs in Elizabeth NJ) so not sure how I could work out a demo there.

I guess this was mainly why I was trying to get some user feedback if any of you own or have demo’d any of the gear I mentioned. If there were certain things some of you DIDNT like about Optik, 2S, etc. I think that’s valuable to me.

24 minutes ago, dstew29 said:

That said, there is a Pure Hockey nearby that I’ve visited a few times. Selection wasn’t great. The nearest goalie monkey is a healthy drive (2.5 hrs in Elizabeth NJ) so not sure how I could work out a demo there.

I guess this was mainly why I was trying to get some user feedback if any of you own or have demo’d any of the gear I mentioned. If there were certain things some of you DIDNT like about Optik, 2S, etc. I think that’s valuable to me.

Out of all the available sets from the big name companies, those two would have to be lowest on my list for consideration.

21 minutes ago, Mike24 said:

Still got that koho trapper? 

@Mike24 I do but can’t speak to present condition. It should have plenty of life left. Will try to get some pics up of my Promasque and the Koho mits once I pick them back up.

Anyone have a clue if I should start looking for a new mask? Not sure what materials Promasque was using in late ‘90s but don’t recall having any issues with performance way back when. Sort of a vague question but maybe someone knows.

4 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

Out of all the available sets from the big name companies, those two would have to be lowest on my list for consideration.

Thanks @ULTIMA , can you give some more context? Aesthetically? Performance? Do you prefer traditional/vintage vs flat?

I’d have to think they’re both front runners on performance (weight, strapping, sliding, etc.) so interested to know where they might fall short.

40 minutes ago, dstew29 said:

Monkey does/used to have a online demo program - https://www.goaliemonkey.com/goalie-gear-demo-program

They don't seem to advertise it anymore, but a quick Google turned it up.

Give 'em a call - maybe they're still doing it.

21 minutes ago, dstew29 said:

Thanks @ULTIMA , can you give some more context? Aesthetically? Performance? Do you prefer traditional/vintage vs flat?

I’d have to think they’re both front runners on performance (weight, strapping, sliding, etc.) so interested to know where they might fall short.

If you're that interested in my opinion, message me directly.

8 hours ago, dstew29 said:

I have the same problem.  Are you on Long Island?

18 hours ago, dstew29 said:

@Mike24 I do but can’t speak to present condition. It should have plenty of life left. Will try to get some pics up of my Promasque and the Koho mits once I pick them back up.

Anyone have a clue if I should start looking for a new mask? Not sure what materials Promasque was using in late ‘90s but don’t recall having any issues with performance way back when. Sort of a vague question but maybe someone knows.

Thanks. I’m interested in it.

My guess is that if you talk to Wesco in Springdale, they could get the pads you want to try from Brookfield and save you the 30 min drive. Also, Elizabeth NJ should only be about a 1 hour drive if you time the traffic properly.

Off topic: The last time I shopped for gear in that area was around 1982. Bob's sports was thriving, Darien sports carried hockey but Blue Line was the place to go for equipment. I know Bob's has shrunk to virtually nothing but do you know if Blue Line is still around? they were on rt 1 in downtown Darien, across from the train station.

OK, Googled Blueline, looks like they are now in the Darien Ice rink and claim to carry goalie gear.

Update, so I came across a smoking pair of E Flex 3 Pro leg pads in my size and had to pull the trigger. Waiting for delivery and will post something pics when they’re in.

Now I just need to find some E flex 3 pro mitts! Anyone know where I can get a two piece glove with 600 break? Feel like it would have to be pro return route. Imagine buying new w/ custom cuff isn’t cheap...

On 3/18/2018 at 10:52 AM, old but slow said:

My guess is that if you talk to Wesco in Springdale, they could get the pads you want to try from Brookfield and save you the 30 min drive. Also, Elizabeth NJ should only be about a 1 hour drive if you time the traffic properly.

Off topic: The last time I shopped for gear in that area was around 1982. Bob's sports was thriving, Darien sports carried hockey but Blue Line was the place to go for equipment. I know Bob's has shrunk to virtually nothing but do you know if Blue Line is still around? they were on rt 1 in downtown Darien, across from the train station.

OK, Googled Blueline, looks like they are now in the Darien Ice rink and claim to carry goalie gear.

Thanks @old but slow haven’t been there yet either but close to it. Worth a look as well.

On 3/17/2018 at 4:09 PM, dstew29 said:

There may be a thread for this but I couldn’t find one so feel free to move as needed.

Backdrop:

I haven’t played since college circa 2004 (Wow I’m old AF!) but determined to get back in the beer leagues this year. I was in net from 8 yo to 21 yo previously though, so once a tendy always a trendy.

Gear I Still Have And Might Keep:

Mask - Promasque circa 1998. Would need new paint and new internals (thinking I’d go Maltese route - but need to research this more). Wish I knew which model but it had an air bladder to “customize fit”. Not sure if the shell is protective enough but would be nice to not drop $750- $1k on another bucket.

...that’s about it. My gear was way too small for me in hindsight and it’s probably a rats nest in my parents garage. I had 32” Brian’s “midnight” air pacs, koho revolution glove/blocker (I wanted those Roy 500 revolution pads to match in the worst way - still one of the dopest sets imo), Vaughn vision c/a, and koho pants (all circa late ‘90s), Riddel skates.

Gear I’m Considering:

Pads - think I’m 33”+1(ish). Not sure what thigh rise I want but might be 1 or 1.5. In no particular order, I’m liking:

- Brians Optik FLX - Don’t love stock graphic so I’d have to do custom here. Thinking the Kaskisuo graphic or some version of that I’d come up with.

- Bauer 2S Pro - I love the way these setup on ice in the demo vids I’ve seen. I actually like the simplicity of the stock graphic too. Could keep it stock or see if they do custom? I hear they’re super light too which i like. Brian’s is similar I’m sure.

- Vaughn PVE - This is a distant 3rd place but like the classic look and shape of these. Could be a contender.

Gloves - I’m a big proponent of sticking with same brand (note: i appreciate the irony since I mixed gear brands back when I played but beggars can’t be choosers!). I’d go Optik gloves, 2Spro gloves but for Vaughn’s I’d use a prior gen glove that opens up flat (think Kipper spec but don’t know the model no off hand)

Skates - I’ve tried on the new Bauer’s (vapor and supremes) and think they’re too tall. Right now I’m leaning towards:

- CCM AS1 - haven’t tried on but the Tacks from last year were very comfortable to me and I like the look of them, more traditional with the slim cowling which I like.

- Graf dm1080 - appreciated the good review on here from @Murray so these are still in the running. Local shop doesn’t carry them so sort of taking a flyer on them for now.

C/A - I have no basis to make a decision here. So I’ll survey the group to hopefully get a few good options. The new Optik line looked nice but again, no experience with anything current.

Pants - Again, same as C/A. It seems like the pros like Vaughn and maybe CCM? Need some help here as well.

Stick - This is something I’ll figure out last and I’m less concerned about. This is more trial and error for me. I’m used to the old Koho’s (which I loved) that probably feel like a kettlebell versus the new cores so anything new is a massive upgrade.

Knee pads - I get the sense these are a major must have now but I’ve never used them so I have no basis. Any good suggestions here are welcome.

Appreciate any feedback from the collective wisdom here and look forward to gettting “woke” on some of this stuff!

Great topic! 

Your pad choices puzzle me though. 1S / 2S and Optik FLX are like apples oranges 

If you want Bauer or Brian’s, compare 1X to FLY

9 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Great topic! 

Your pad choices puzzle me though. 1S / 2S and Optik FLX are like apples oranges 

If you want Bauer or Brian’s, compare 1X to FLY

@TheGoalNet fair to say and point taken. Given my long time off from playing though I was open to adopting a new style. Unless there is a current model for this?

0A80ABFC-7B0E-470F-B748-BFE4A9062BAD.jpeg

Archived