Goalies Celebrating Team Goals

Puckducker

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ll just skate a figure 8 from dot to dot after a goal. If it’s for I might say good work or nice finish... if it’s against i’ll Just clear my head. 

Pretty sure it doesn’t get anyone worked up. If it does, so be it. More of a reset for me regardless of which net the puck is being pulled out of. 

I will say that what does get to me is a guy at the other end who chirps the refs or my guys on every call. 

I’ll chat it up with refs and the opposition. Can’t remember the last time a ref changed a call when a complaint is made, especially in beer league. It’s not like refs are doing it for the money. They’re out there just like us. 

If there is an opposing player who makes it his job to try to annoy and frustrate me, I welcome it. My role is to stop pucks. If he wants to get a closer view of me doing it, have at it. Nothing like popping up from the ice with a grin on my face and a puck in my glove. 

You mean no one in the beer leagues skates to the blue line to partake in the bench high fives???  I have always HATED this and have no idea when it start or why it is done.

If we get a big go ahead or GWG I'll fist pump... but like most of you quick skate or a glug from the water bottle is enough for me

10 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

You mean no one in the beer leagues skates to the blue line to partake in the bench high fives???  I have always HATED this and have no idea when it start or why it is done.

If we get a big go ahead or GWG I'll fist pump... but like most of you quick skate or a glug from the water bottle is enough for me

Most of the teams around here don't even skate to the bench after a goal, so the ones that do look like try-hards. If the goalie did it.. lol. 

Just now, beansbats said:

My eyes are getting to be so bad that I usually don't know we scored until the puck is back to be dropped at center ice (Semi serious).  As a general rule, no celebration for me unless it is a OT game winner.

-steve

I'm kind of with you. I mean, I can tell we scored but I have absolutely no idea who it was most of the time. We have a team "player of the game" award that is always given out by the previous winner. Any time I'm giving it out it almost always goes to a defenceman because that's what I see. 

On 3/20/2018 at 11:28 AM, beansbats said:

My eyes are getting to be so bad that I usually don't know we scored until the puck is back to be dropped at center ice (Semi serious).  As a general rule, no celebration for me unless it is a OT game winner.

-steve

You may need some glasses, son!

4677c881221416beb97b3759eac47cc1.jpg

On 3/20/2018 at 8:28 AM, beansbats said:

My eyes are getting to be so bad that I usually don't know we scored until the puck is back to be dropped at center ice...

-steve

LOL - I almost wish there was more of a celebration when the guys on one of the groups I play shinny with score. They just pull the puck out of the net after a goal and start up the ice. If there's no fist bumping going on, I only know about 50% of the time if the puck went in the other goal or not. Worst part is, you'd think these guys would celebrate more after a goal on the other fellow - he's very good and really doesn't get scored on too often (and I hate him for it :D)

I play rec league with no real reffing or control.  Organised shinny really but I tap for a good save and beak my own team if they ever score, like holy shit you scored!  Guys we play are out for a good time and joke around alot, there was one guy on the other team we were haveing a great I'm chirping back and forth so when he cut hard and slid into the net knocked me onto of him I took advantage of it and air humped him when I got up.  We all had a laugh and I apologised after the game.  He told me no hard feelings and told me he thought it was actually hilarious!  So did his teammates!

Never bothered with getting excited about a goal scored by my team and never bothered with engaging the opposition when they beat me. When you win a championship like in  IP's pic, nothing wrong with enjoying it and you should enjoy it. Otherwise, I see no reason to rub it in to the other side and no reason to yap when they score. 

It's become my tradition to give four loud slaps on the ice when my team scores. I celebrate whenever my team does anything good. If that offends you, I don't know what to tell you other than don't get scored on. After the game I always shake the goalies hand first and if he or she makes a good save, I'll do a small tap in my own crease. But I'm not gonna hold back on celebrating just because it might offend someone.

1 hour ago, goalieThreeOne said:

It's become my tradition to give four loud slaps on the ice when my team scores. I celebrate whenever my team does anything good. If that offends you, I don't know what to tell you other than don't get scored on. After the game I always shake the goalies hand first and if he or she makes a good save, I'll do a small tap in my own crease. But I'm not gonna hold back on celebrating just because it might offend someone.

Huh. You don't happen to play in Boisbriand by any chance? 

14 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

Are you Ricky Gervais, by any chance? ;)

I think it's too circumstantial to say whether goalies celebrating is warranted, obnoxious, fun, etc. Personally, I'm not a big fan of it. I am very social and team-oriented, but I like to keep quiet, do my job, and let the players celebrate their own goals. I will tell a teammate they scored a nice goal between periods, if anything. If we win the game, I can bump helmets and high-five my teammates, and that's good enough for me. If we lose, then I'm probably glad I wasn't raising my stick in the air or clapping it on the ice the whole game.

To me, there are some cool extra things you get to do as a goalie, and things you miss out on. We get to play the whole game, we get some great gear, we get to personalize our masks, we get a lot of attention and excitement, and we get to play a very individual position where we can really show our own style and flair. To me, celebrating goals is just one of the things that doesn't really come with the position. But that's just my personal opinion... hockey is one of the few avenues of life where I find myself feeling very conservative.

Not to change subjects, but has anyone ever celebrated a save? Or had a teammate celebrate a save? Personally, I would *never* celebrate a save. I had one teammate in high school raise both his arms up and go "Yeah!!" when I made a really nice glove save off a rebound. I was tickled, but it was so embarrassing, and we all busted his balls about it for a good long time.

If it's a one goal game and if we score to tie or take the lead I usually do a quick fist pump, but then I skate to the end boards then back to my crease and get a drink of water.  My goalie partner skates to the bench and joins the line and it makes me upset.  Braden Holtby even joins in the line and he's a pro it drives me crazy. 

11 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Not to change subjects, but has anyone ever celebrated a save? Or had a teammate celebrate a save? Personally, I would *never* celebrate a save. I had one teammate in high school raise both his arms up and go "Yeah!!" when I made a really nice glove save off a rebound. I was tickled, but it was so embarrassing, and we all busted his balls about it for a good long time.

Never. I always find that a reserved composure for a great save does more to demoralize the opponent than anything. It's the same where I barely react after getting scored on or when guys are trying to get me off my game by chirping, hacking, running me. The less you react, the less they will think it's working.

Plus, I've got 5 bigger, more mobile guys more than willing to step in and scuffle/chrip for me. I don't need to draw any more attention to myself.

21 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Nope. I celebrating keep for the unexpected... and I expect to make every save. I don't even like to windmill. Let the save look as easy as possible... especially when it wasn't. 

Of course I don't make every save... but in my mind I'd like to think that over the years in either practice or a game I have made the save before so no reason I shouldn't do it again now. 

Archived