Goalies Celebrating Team Goals

Puckducker

1 hour ago, stackem30 said:

I think it's too circumstantial to say whether goalies celebrating is warranted, obnoxious, fun, etc.

This is true. I'm playing a 3v3 this weekend with a group of friends where no one is even going to know what the score is 5 minutes after leaving the ice. If my "team" were to score a pretty goal, I might give a couple taps of my stick, and I wouldn't be too bothered if the other goalie does the same. 

But in those circumstances, no one is getting too bothered if someone scores. So celebrations aren't really going to bother anyone either. 

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Never. I always find that a reserved composure for a great save does more to demoralize the opponent than anything. 

Agreed. Nothing better than making a 10 Bell Save, and playing it off like it was no big deal. 

I think it ties back into the etiquette of celebrating team goals. It's always better to act like you've been there before. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I always tap 3 times for a goal (Nice F'n goal!) and twice on a nice attempt that doesn't go(nice shot/nice save, take it how you will).  The taps may be quiet or loud (depends on a number of factors), but like others have said it's more of a mental thing for me to either recognize my opposite number for a good effort or a teammate for scoring, and get ready to do my job

1 hour ago, Puckducker said:

Agreed. Nothing better than making a 10 Bell Save, and playing it off like it was no big deal. 

I think it ties back into the etiquette of celebrating team goals. It's always better to act like you've been there before. 

Oh yeah, acting like you couldn't be less surprised that you robbed an opponent blind is 10x more devastating than any goofy celebration.

I had no idea Holtby skates to the bench every time his teammates score a goal... but then again, he did this stupid celebration at the other team's bench in the AHL. I thought he deserved to get his clock cleaned for that.

I sub sometimes in a "recreational" league to get some extra ice time. There's no rankings or pressure or anything, just playing  2x 45min for fun basically. I've subbed for most of the teams there, so I've got to know everyone there. Last night I played against a team of guys I got to know pretty well, and a couple of times when they got a good goal on me, I was high-fiving and celebrating with them, hahaha :chug: I'm not sure what the team I was playing with thought of it, but I played a good game and we won 4-6, so I guess they were ok with it.

• 6 months later...
On 3/19/2018 at 7:02 PM, loki1416 said:

I don't see a problem with a stick tap when your team scores. If that upsets/hurts the other goalies feelings, well they need to f'n grow up. That being said, if we are in a 4+ lead, I don't tap. Will also tap for a great save at the other end.

This.

I love to chirp, particularly when we're down, by a lot.  Some beer league hero whose already scored 4-5 comes in and misses the net, oh, he gets a BIG chirp.  That's just my personality.  Usually gets a big smirk, sometimes a guffaw.  I LOVE chirping guys I know the most.  Was playing against a buddy last year, and he missed a hail mary breakout pass.  He started skating for the puck as it slid into my zone, and the whole way all he heard was "You're never gonna make it!".  And he didn't.  We still laugh about it.

depends on the game.

was up 7-0 last game, first like 2 or so goals i gave a stick tap, after it was like 5-0 (prob the 1st minute of the 2nd period) i just gave up on doing anything and just would get a drink of water lol

next game was a 12-2 win, literally didnt do anything after goals lol

• 2 weeks later...

High school hockey is super competitive. If I don't tap my stick for my team then I might as well not be on that team. I am know throughout my team and throughout the league as "the chirping goalie". While this is not really a good thing I fully embrace the title. I'm not a completely a-hole and I do tap my stick for the other tendy if he/she makes an incredible save.

I did see a funny video recently of a goalie who after his team scored, laid down on the ice and held his stick like rifle and imitated recoil. It was quite amusing to me.

Archived