My Own Ball Hockey Pads!

havok

Hello Everyone!

I’ve decided to return to the game after a few years, I had knee problems but I am good to go.

I’ve just played around 8 games and feeling good, I am getting up there at 39 (40 this year) BUT still having a blast.

I am a 100% Ball Hockey goalie, and upon my return I’ve noticed how incredibly popular Ball and Dek Hockey have become, there are a ton of companies dedicated to the sport popping up, offering mods such as slider plates, you have companies like Reason Y that have become really common, even Knapper from Quebec are into the game.

The problem I have is the price point, paying so much money for ball hocky pads still irks me, (I may be cheap but if I can afford 1000$ on pads, I’ll get the pro stuff for ice first)

Anyways I’ve decided to make my own pads, but I am completely clueless, and just learning stuff now.

I will be buying a pair of Bauer one.5 goalie pads that are UGLY but still in good shape. I basically got them for free.

I’ll be adding Padskinz to make them pretty, I’ll be ordering Slider Plates from Mcgowan Sports to make them slide. I know some of you suggested some site for the straps such as Monster, Fixmygear etc. So I will be discussing with them what I want.

I want to at the minimum add knee stacks to the pads, I’ve attached pics and as you can see they don’t have them, can you add stacks? I want to add some because the sliders will be screwed into them.

Also the boot strap will not be good for ball hockey, I was thinking of installing them like what Reason Y does, but are there any other options? If anyone has done anything like this and can share their experience I would be very grateful!

IMG_9051.JPG

IMG_9050.JPG

IMG_9049.JPG

IMG_9048.JPG

4 hours ago, havok said:

Let the modding begin!....

... and the flaking :D

I looked the the  McGowan Sports site - interesting. How do the sliders attach? It appears to be screws of some sort, but if so, how do they attach to the pad. I also see they have some that are removable so you can supposedly switch between ball/inline and ice. Again wondering what type of attachment system there is to connect to the pad face.

BTW - good luck - I will be watching this thread to see your progress. My only suggestion would be as you are modding, I would try to make stuff as modular as possible  - i.e. if you replace the calf wrap or knee block, sew a strip of Velcro in along the pad and use that to attach the wrap or block. Then if you want to change the design of that part , or wear and tear takes its toll it's an easy replacement.

I know, wish there was head and shoulders for pads!

I beleive they are indeed screwed in, so they are permanent. I thought i would have to do more to them, but just those straps already do enough! I will add a Quick strap to them.

I am wondering how I can mod the Boot strap to make it more convenient. I wanted to  completely re-skin the pads, but apparently it's not something that is suggested.

Thanks for the suggestions, its a great idea!

well just not as annoying LOL since i wear shoes not skates that strap gets in the way sometimes, but it is still needed...

Right now i am emailing with Mr Thorne from FixMyGear, and let me tell you amazing service so far to help me understand what I may need!

There's not much you can do to them. Maybe paint white on top but the black will come through like hell. 

When the all white pads were the rage in the late 80s, Ron Hextall would have his pads re-painted all white every so often by the equipment manager. Looked terrible but he wanted that fresh white color. Those were leather pads though then.

23 hours ago, havok said:

well just not as annoying LOL since i wear shoes not skates that strap gets in the way sometimes, but it is still needed...

Right now i am emailing with Mr Thorne from FixMyGear, and let me tell you amazing service so far to help me understand what I may need!

On the McGowan site they show some "Sliderz" goalie shoes. If you look a the pics in the link below there seems to be an oval ring for lack of a better description on the sides that appears would take a boot strap . At the end of their text they say " ... Full toe-Sliderz protection, instep-to-heal Sliderz plate, along with strap binding inserts along the skate shoe and toe tie compatible.". I suspect that is what I am seeing. Could you shamelessly steal from their example and mod up some old runners?

https://mcgowancustomsports.ca/product/sliderz-goalie-shoe/

1 hour ago, Ghostender said:

On the McGowan site they show some "Sliderz" goalie shoes. If you look a the pics in the link below there seems to be an oval ring for lack of a better description on the sides that appears would take a boot strap . At the end of their text they say " ... Full toe-Sliderz protection, instep-to-heal Sliderz plate, along with strap binding inserts along the skate shoe and toe tie compatible.". I suspect that is what I am seeing. Could you shamelessly steal from their example and mod up some old runners?

https://mcgowancustomsports.ca/product/sliderz-goalie-shoe/

hMMMM

Good catch.. I already have steel toe running shoes, id have to check a store that has those rectangular plastic clips...  I was going to see if an insert could be done on the sid of the outer boot...but this may be better,  thanks!

1 hour ago, MTH said:

There's not much you can do to them. Maybe paint white on top but the black will come through like hell. 

When the all white pads were the rage in the late 80s, Ron Hextall would have his pads re-painted all white every so often by the equipment manager. Looked terrible but he wanted that fresh white color. Those were leather pads though then.

I didnt even know that...

Not sure the NHL would allow that now...sheeeeesh

So I went to a shop to get stuff repaired and remove straps, but the woman looked at the pads and told me how to take the straps out and then said that there's not enough damage to the toe area to make it worth it, she could've just taken my money but was honest. the front foam is squished but nothing i can do about that.

So I'll be doing that today.

I am considering actually buying spray paint to redo the black. Any brand -type suggested?

I got my quote from FIXMYGEAR, for knee lifts and the quick straps, so ill be ordering those...

file1.jpeg

file-1.jpeg

I started calculated the cost of adding Padskinz, and to pay for Sliders and started to realize that these pads would cost almost as a pair of used Pro pads.

So I said "Screw it" and bought a 13$ can of Vinyl / Fabric Car spray pain, and a box of industrial strength Velcro, and used the soft side to protect the toe area.

There are a tone of Plastic Companies in my area as well, and they all sell UHMW, not sure if that's what's used on the McGowan site (or brands such as ReasonY / Knapper) but will be discussing with them today to see if they could cut some specific pieces for me.

file-1.jpeg

file1.jpeg

Looks pretty impressive - not too sure how long the paint will last, but good on ya!

Another option to UHMW could be Delrin but both those may be somewhat expensive and the sliding in the capacity you are using them may not be what you want. High density polyethylene or polypropylene may be an alternative.

Definitely talk to someone at a plastics shop and let them know what you are using them for , they can probably put you on the right track. 

Hi Havok,

I’ve had good success using  sliders made from 1/16” uhmw sheet. You can cut it to shape using good quality scissors and then I dimple it using the blunt end of a drill bit and a hammer. Place it on a piece of wood when hammering in the dimples. Takes a bit of time but it’s well worth the effort. See attached pictures. I have hook Velcro stuck on my pads and then put the loop Velcro on the sliders so I can take them on or off depending on the surface we play on.

1194DB39-0E9A-4CD5-A3CA-5CF4607F97BE.jpeg

E75DE3FD-41A8-46DE-97FC-6F7B782C363F.jpeg

Here’s what I do for attaching my runners. For the toe I melt 2 holes in the front of my runner then feed a line through and back out and then tie an overhand knot. I seal the knot with crazy glue. On my pads I run  a loop of 1/8” shock cord from on of the lacings inside my calf then down to a ring on the front of the boot then through another ring and then attach it to the knot on my shoe using a larks head knot. For the boot strap I use another loop of shock cord that attaches to the underside of the boot, goes under my shoe, and then hooks on to the other side. I use runners that have a raised arch so the shock cord can pass without affecting anything. If you use runners that don’t have a raised arch then you can add a loop on the heel, same as on the toe, and then pass the shock cord loop through that. Note that I make my own pads but you should be able to do the same sort of thing on most pads.

F7FECD00-F1FC-4B39-939C-B40DC14BE625.jpeg

77734E37-75A8-454C-9963-8B66205598EB.jpeg

F6BEB0A3-29A1-4352-9A9E-976FEFD3A329.jpeg

1569ADAB-032E-4414-8565-FB728DF1F580.jpeg

591D7BEE-8696-44B9-898B-E17F82B54D20.jpeg

Ross!

Where have you been my whole life LOL!

My gawd, that is so much more AMAZING that what I've been doing!

Your work here: http://www.thegoalnet.com/forums/topic/844-my-homemade-ball-hockey-pads/

is just INCREDIBLE! Man I wish i was as good as you, this is basically EXACTLY what I want to do! I am looking for UHMW here without much success, companies just don't want to sell, but if you don't mind, I would have questions as I'm going...amazing work dude!

Thanks! 

You cover so much already, I don't use toe ties but like that boot strap set up

1-where do you buy your UHMW?

2-Does the hook side of the Velcro wear down quickly? I imagine having to pull off industrial Velcro can't be fun

I get the UHMW from Industrial Plastics, a plastics shop in Victoria.

Acklands Grainger sells it online as well.

Where are you located?

The hook side Velcro holds up pretty good. I play floor hockey twice a week Sept. to June and I usually change it once over that time. The hook Velcro slides better on hardwood than the loop side.

I'm in Montreal and companies are charging a ton or not calling me back

Ingot  a buddy looking into it.

i have a game on Saturday so I'll just add the hook (hard) side for now, it's not hardwood, it's actually a Ball hockey arena with plastic like floors...

That's exactly what i was told last night, getting phone quote will UP the price, but if I show up and talk to them, most likely I'll get scraps cheap

By some weird coincidence a dude is selling an exact pair of pads with plates on KIJIJI, he was super helpful:  Bauer One.5

I installed the FIXMYGEAR straps and knee lifters, one thing i was scared of was my five hole in these pads, i took the top vinyl buckle off as it was annoying, and I was scared it was a mistake, but the knee lifters totally helps seal the hole. They were AWESOME to deal with, Scott Thorne put up with a lot of my questions!

I installed the Velcro, now i just need that darned UHMW! LOL

Archived