Glove Tee Topic - Single vs Double vs Anchor

dk30

Looking at what type of Tee I should get for my next set, Have always used Single Tees so I don't really have anything to compare it to. Also have never read or seen much about anchor tees and how to even get Anchor tees since they are usually not on the custom options... Any opinions are Welcome!!

You can still custom order an Anchor T through Brian's. I also know Vaughn has used a "thinned out single T" on the SLR/Pro Vs to sort of mirror the benefits of the Anchor T. 

In essence, a single T USUALLY has less lace or nylon webbing, causing potential retention problems and pop-outs. But the single best benefit of the single T is being able to really feel that puck entering the pocket. 

Having gone from a single T CCM to the new double T on the Eflex3, I have had many occurrences of saves where I wasn't entirely sure where the puck was and it ended up being in my pocket. Didn't feel it enter at all. But there is so much more webbing for a puck to die in. 

I have never personally used an anchor T (although I am ordering one on my next set). The Anchor T makes a pocket depth MASSIVE and has tons of webbing to retain pucks. 

The upside to a double T is usually a deeper pocket and less pop outs.  I had a single on my old GT Pro glove and am moving to a double T on my new set:

Double T pockets feature two smaller, leather support pieces that run from the top of the T to the base of the pocket. The two pieces are laced together, and sometimes the lacing between the two has enough slack in it to allow the pocket to expand a bit deeper once the puck hits it. In theory, the Double-T has the ability to stop the rotation of the puck at impact, helping to keep the puck in the pocket more often.

2 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

I have never personally used an anchor T (although I am ordering one on my next set). The Anchor T makes a pocket depth MASSIVE and has tons of webbing to retain pucks. 

Wouldn't more pros use anchor tees than if it was better. I really like the idea of an anchor tee it just seems so rare that their must be a reason people are not using the tee. 

1 minute ago, dk30 said:

Wouldn't more pros use anchor tees than if it was better. I really like the idea of an anchor tee it just seems so rare that their must be a reason people are not using the tee. 

Pro's also use tons of leather strapping, ancient neck guards, bulky cowlings, and miscellaneous knick knacks that just are kind of odd.

Always take what the Pro's use with some skepticism. Just because the best goalie in the world is doing it, doesn't mean that it's the best or right for you. 

Just now, coopaloop1234 said:

Man, Single T for life.

My issues with popouts for any pucks hitting the pocket is almost zero.

Plus, nothing beats the feel of the 'snap' when you snag a good shot.

I agree the feel is one of the reasons I have yet to switch, its crisp and give you the extra feeling of connection in the glove. But in theory, isn't an anchor tee just a smaller single tee, so would it have that same snap feel while giving you a bigger pocket?

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Pro's also use tons of leather strapping, ancient neck guards, bulky cowlings, and miscellaneous knick knacks that just are kind of odd.

Always take what the Pro's use with some skepticism. Just because the best goalie in the world is doing it, doesn't mean that it's the best or right for you. 

Very True...

Just now, dk30 said:

I agree the feel is one of the reasons I have yet to switch, its crisp and give you the extra feeling of connection in the glove. But in theory, isn't an anchor tee just a smaller single tee, so would it have that same snap feel while giving you a bigger pocket?

I can't really comment. Never tried an anchor tee. Just single (nylon and skate lace) and double (skate lace)

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I can't really comment. Never tried an anchor tee. Just single (nylon and skate lace) and double (skate lace)

It seems like very few people have actually used an anchor tee before... One of those hidden gems of goalie equipment maybe?

I think the differences are minor enough that there's no clear advantage one way or another. 

I will say, I think the double T having a "deeper" pocket isn't exactly true. My perception is they generally have a "wider" pocket, but the actual depth isn't any more than a single T. 

I've used a double T myself for almost my entire goaltending career. I do think it has the advantage of being able to look through the middle of the "T's" to clearly see a puck that's coming head on. Can't say for sure if that's an actual advantage, but it sure feels like it when I'm picking off shots coming for my head. 

10 minutes ago, dk30 said:

It seems like very few people have actually used an anchor tee before... One of those hidden gems of goalie equipment maybe?

Keep in mind, the actual "Anchor T" is a Brian's exclusive and compared to the larger brands, they have a fairly small amount of goalies in their gear. Darling and Sparks, two huge gear nerds wear/have worn the Anchor T.

1 minute ago, Aquilzz said:

Keep in mind, the actual "Anchor T" is a Brian's exclusive and compared to the larger brands, they have a fairly small amount of goalies in their gear. Darling and Sparks, two huge gear nerds wear/have worn the Anchor T.

That’s true it is more of a Brian’s type T over most companies. This is for an Optik glove so that’s why I’m considering it though

20 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

This couldn't be more true... So many of them are comfy in what works for them.  I could care less what pro guys are doing or using... They're far different than us.  Do yourself a favor and watch the video Scrivens did on his gear... So much that only works for him

5 minutes ago, Puckducker said:

I've used a double T myself for almost my entire goaltending career. I do think it has the advantage of being able to look through the middle of the "T's" to clearly see a puck that's coming head on. Can't say for sure if that's an actual advantage, but it sure feels like it when I'm picking off shots coming for my head. 

I have always used a single and don’t really notice the lack of seeing the puck in the glove either off somewhere where my eyes don’t see or on the ice. I feel like I have a good sense of where that puck is and if someone is charging my glove I pretty much know it’s in there

Just now, dk30 said:

I have always used a single and don’t really notice the lack of seeing the puck in the glove either off somewhere where my eyes don’t see or on the ice. I feel like I have a good sense of where that puck is and if someone is charging my glove I pretty much know it’s in there

There is a bit of a benefit of having the 'window' of a double T. Coming form Single T's forever, the few games I used a double T, it was immediately noticeable how easy it was to line the puck up right when you're putting the glove in front of you.

Granted, with even just a little practice, it shouldn't matter what T style you're using. I found it was mostly feel/aesthetics. Single T just flat out looks better than Double T. And as we all know, style > performance when it comes to goaltending.

Just now, Aquilzz said:

Thanks! That was really interesting to watch. May try my lacing like that because I get foot cramping when I tie them tight (how I like them), but was hoping my Trues on order will fit so well, that area can be tied looser. 

I tried it with my reactor 6000... less foot pain and my feet feel more locked in.

but I used the first eyelet as well 

Used a single tee for at least the last 10yrs... (3 trappers) nice snappy feel (although skate lace and a light float does soften that up a little bit...  :giggity:) and no catching issues.

Going back to the double this season... nothing looks better than a well executed double tee with skate lacing.

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Your average pro uses outdated gear. The NHL actually slows down innovation 

I agree, the snap feel of a single  T is the best. The Brian’s Optik T is a great hybrid. Wide like a double T, but still has the snap 

Archived