Warrior Sr G3's pads

Ken

Seems like I read about good reviews here and some other forums.  Thinking about getting a set of Warrior G3, sr. pads, blocker, and pro gloves, Hockey Monkey has sr leg pads for about $620, how are the sizing on them.  I currently have  cheap pair of Bauer's 35 +1 and the chart tells me 35 + 1.5.  Gloves on sale too, + 15% off.  Any help on how they wear and quality would be appreciated.

Thanks

9 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

No G3's, but close enough.

Yea read that last night, considering those too, just wondering if they are worth the extra $125.  I will need a double break and I am pretty sure G3 has an internal double break to help out with the narrow butterfly.

12 minutes ago, Ken said:

Yea read that last night, considering those too, just wondering if they are worth the extra $125.  I will need a double break and I am pretty sure G3 has an internal double break to help out with the narrow butterfly.

Yea, if you need a double break, go G3. It has double internal/single external vs the GT's single internal/external break.  Plus with the velcro tab, you can close in the top break to your liking.

The GT is going to be stiff above the knee.

I think that given this price (sale price), this has to be a better sr pad then ccm or vaughn which is what i was originally going to get.  Thanks for the info guys make my choice a bit easier.

36 minutes ago, Ken said:

I think that given this price (sale price), this has to be a better sr pad then ccm or vaughn which is what i was originally going to get.  Thanks for the info guys make my choice a bit easier.

The Warrior SR stuff is great from what I've tried on in store! Plus with @coopaloop1234's review on the senior price point, I wouldn't be too concerned about durability. My one issue with it is the difference between the SR and Pro glove felt different in my hand. Felt noticeably worse in terms of closure (this is RGT). But I'm sure it's fine after breaking it in. 

I've had issues with senior level CCM stuff holding up after 6-8 months. But the Vaughn senior stuff (especially the SLR and Pro V Elite) is REALLY good as well. 

Just now, Aquilzz said:

The Warrior SR stuff is great from what I've tried on in store! Plus with @coopaloop1234's review on the senior price point, I wouldn't be too concerned about durability. My one issue with it is the difference between the SR and Pro glove felt massive in my hand. Felt noticeably worse in terms of closure (this is RGT). But I'm sure it's fine after breaking it in. 

I've had issues with senior level CCM stuff holding up after 6-8 months. But the Vaughn senior stuff (especially the SLR and Pro V Elite) is REALLY good as well. 

I had my Vaughn SR V4's and V5 sr blocker last years and years without any major issues. I'd toss my hat in for recommending Vaughn SR products as well.

The RGT SR catcher definitely takes a game or two to break in, but it's real snappy off the shelf and has held up mostly fine for protection. I'm starting to get more stingers in the break line and near where the palm meets the webbing. But that's also not very common. I'm only mentioning it as I've gone from absolutely zero issues, to an odd issue here or there playing against decently high competition.

This is also after almost a year of 2-3x a week (been 5-6 the last few weeks when the issues started to pop up). So nothing really too worrisome

5 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I had my Vaughn SR V4's and V5 sr blocker last years and years without any major issues. I'd toss my hat in for recommending Vaughn SR products as well.

The RGT SR catcher definitely takes a game or two to break in, but it's real snappy off the shelf and has held up mostly fine for protection. I'm starting to get more stingers in the break line and near where the palm meets the webbing. But that's also not very common. I'm only mentioning it as I've gone from absolutely zero issues, to an odd issue here or there playing against decently high competition.

This is also after almost a year of 2-3x a week (been 5-6 the last few weeks when the issues started to pop up). So nothing really too worrisome

Try using a baseball glove in your catcher! 

5 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Thought about it. It may be a good idea due to all the back to backs i've been doing.

Hell, if I win my two games tonight, I'll have three to play tomorrow (all three being elimination games)

The baseball glove is a bit of an adjustment, but you'll never feel a stinger. 

I feel bad for your knees. Luckily the Warrior knee pads are super cushioned if you're using them.

49 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

@coopaloop1234 My one issue with it is the difference between the SR and Pro glove felt different in my hand. Felt noticeably worse in terms of closure (this is RGT). But I'm sure it's fine after breaking it in. 

I was going to go with the G3 Pro Catch, only thing that I would go top notch with.  Good sale price on that right now

50 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

The baseball glove is a bit of an adjustment, but you'll never feel a stinger. 

I feel bad for your knees. Luckily the Warrior knee pads are super cushioned if you're using them.

Been using the knee pads since I've got my pads. I've never had an issue so far with my knees. Granted, i'm <30.

On 3/23/2018 at 1:57 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Been using the knee pads since I've got my pads. I've never had an issue so far with my knees. Granted, i'm <30.

Hey @coopaloop1234 , what is your sizing?  Do you find them to be pretty standard sizing, example do they plays a little shorter or longer?  I have a 20.25-20.50 floor to knee, 6' and I am worried about the 35 +1.5 being a little to long.  Coming from Bauers 35 +1 that I feel are about as long as i would want to go.  Thoughts?

On 3/24/2018 at 10:03 PM, Ken said:

Hey @coopaloop1234 , what is your sizing?  Do you find them to be pretty standard sizing, example do they plays a little shorter or longer?  I have a 20.25-20.50 floor to knee, 6' and I am worried about the 35 +1.5 being a little to long.  Coming from Bauers 35 +1 that I feel are about as long as i would want to go.  Thoughts?

blobid0.thumb.png.9d3d7b19ce450a09994ef8c2bf329740.png

~20". I'm in some 33+1.5's.

I should've got the 34's, but, they still play great. Just not completely centered in the knee landing. I'd say their chart is accurate.

I'm in the G3 Pro gear, I'm 5'9 and am wearing 34+1.5 and I absolutely love the pads.  The glove was "worked in" from day 1, couldn't believe the closure out of the box.

You will not be disappointed with the Warrior pads.  I'm am however replacing my gloves, going back to Brians.  Can't beat a Brians glove imho.

• 1 year later...
On 3/23/2018 at 8:28 AM, Ken said:

Seems like I read about good reviews here and some other forums.  Thinking about getting a set of Warrior G3, sr. pads, blocker, and pro gloves, Hockey Monkey has sr leg pads for about $620, how are the sizing on them.  I currently have  cheap pair of Bauer's 35 +1 and the chart tells me 35 + 1.5.  Gloves on sale too, + 15% off.  Any help on how they wear and quality would be appreciated.

Thanks

Did you ever end up getting the G3's? Do you like them?

Did this allow you to get more stretch so your toe can hit the ice. My biggest complaint when trying on the warrior pads was how tight those toe and ankle straps were and it felt like they had no give at all in them. Never used pro laces or a hal strap before (except trying on in store on carpet) only used skate lace so far. Did that make the pads more enjoyable?

6 minutes ago, kyledjean said:

Did this allow you to get more stretch so your toe can hit the ice. My biggest complaint when trying on the warrior pads was how tight those toe and ankle straps were and it felt like they had no give at all in them. Never used pro laces or a hal strap before (except trying on in store on carpet) only used skate lace so far. Did that make the pads more enjoyable?

1. You can loosen up the boot strap (or remove) to the point where it's almost non-existant.

2. You'll get a lot more give with the Pro laces over the AR Straps. So you'll probably enjoy them more.

2 hours ago, kyledjean said:

@coopaloop1234 said it perfectly. Ditch your bootstrap, it serves no purpose especially if you go to a bungee style toe product.  Pro laces offer a ton of range and improve attack angle for pushing. In my opinion oh, and I have used a variety of products, you can't beat Pro laces

47 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

@coopaloop1234 said it perfectly. Ditch your bootstrap, it serves no purpose especially if you go to a bungee style toe product.  Pro laces offer a ton of range and improve attack angle for pushing. In my opinion oh, and I have used a variety of products, you can't beat Pro laces

I think they do slightly different things - the bungee toe tie lets your pad rotate back correctly on recovery and helps you feel more connected to the pad. The under-the-heel angle elastic boot strap from warrior does a pretty good job at keeping the pad from riding up your leg, which can be useful if you strap the knee elastic down to the calf and not across the back of your knee to keep it in place.

Archived