New age of keeping skates tight

Ethan17berry

I have been using this method on my trail running shoes for a couple years now. Recently tried it with my skates the past 4-5 games and it not only secures my foot in place  without being too tight, it also stopped the lace bite I was getting.

image.png.18fd00ff1dcf0549e5c8fa00c072e16d.pngimage.thumb.png.ccefaaf77aee1774b782e1124f6024d6.png

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

I have been using this method on my trail running shoes for a couple years now. Recently tried it with my skates the past 4-5 games and it not only secures my foot in place  without being too tight, it also stopped the lace bite I was getting.

image.png.18fd00ff1dcf0549e5c8fa00c072e16d.pngimage.thumb.png.ccefaaf77aee1774b782e1124f6024d6.png

I skip an eye lit second from the top and love it 

@RichMan - Can you wear your skates loosely like that? I always want my skates to be a touch looser. But if I tie them loose at the bottom or tight at the top or vise verse, they slip around for a period until they settle perfect. Maybe that could settle my needs. 

I always thought the old Tacks clips were a great idea, but they never caught on. 

Image result for reebok 20k goalie skates

@TheGoalNet The thing is, I don't want my boot to be so tight that I can't flex forward at the ankle to enable a proper and comfortable stance, yet I don't want them so loose that my ankle strains against the outer wall to stay stable or have the skate catch an outer edge and have me tip over sideways risking an ankle sprain.

Maybe there is a huge difference between a 3mm and a 4mm in terms of "grounding" and stability. Maybe it's a weight issue, thinking that the new Bauers are too light.

Other than improper sizing and lace bite, I never had mobility issues with my One80s. I'm not so sure that these Cowlingless skates are the answer for me. I wouldn't mind trying out the Supreme model just to see if the different ankle/boot structure is more akin to my needs.

On 2018-04-03 at 8:49 AM, TheGoalNet said:

@RichMan - Can you wear your skates loosely like that? I always want my skates to be a touch looser. But if I tie them loose at the bottom or tight at the top or vise verse, they slip around for a period until they settle perfect. Maybe that could settle my needs. 

I always thought the old Tacks clips were a great idea, but they never caught on. 

Image result for reebok 20k goalie skates

Agreed - though I only have them on my player skates. I think it would transfer nicely to goalie skates (says the guy with now FOUR on-ice appearances... #expert :datass: :giggle:

I DO at least know that I like my skates tres tight around the ankle. I’m wearing the Vapor X700s myself, and tried the eyelet trick, as well as the double-x loop described by @Aquilzz last night. I think it helped me deliver a more polished, more solid shitty performance. But seriously- cheers for the tips!

Sorry the skates aren’t working for you, @RichMan. Just a thought, but if you’re ever in the West Island of Montreal, checking their Kijiji and Varage sale posts can be a great way to score top gear on a budget; there are some VERY affluent people there (maybe why they plunked the MTL Goalie Monkey Store right in DDO...?) I almost scored some sweet skates weeks back, but when we messaged the seller on the weekend we were there, she said she was in the Bahamas and wouldn’t be back for 2 weeks. 

Cheers,

Mark

Archived