CCM Premier 2

TheGoalNet

Saw these in person today.

Believe the configuration was soft boot, single internal/external break. Holy crap was I impressed. A HUGE improvement over the 1st CCM Premier in every aspect. But kept all the great things about a Premier (perfect seal, angled boot, etc).

Not as light as the 2S/G4, but had a very nice feel to them. New knee landing is a very welcome addition as well. Super tacky and comfy. Strapping was great and will barely take any time to dial in (although I would like to see an elastic type boot strap/toe tie option that pretty much all the other MFGs have gone to. 

Glove feels like any other 590 break (in a good way).

Biggest shock was the blocker. Was noticeably lighter than previous gen Lefervre blockers...probably that pieces first big change in a long time! Would love to see "max rebound" implemented in it in EF4/P3, however. Especially if @TheGoalNet is correct in saying the pads have the hottest rebounds yet. Don't understand why someone would want a blocker that didn't pop off an extremely far rebound.

Not as in-depth as a 30 min video or an actual review in this thread, but I know I like reading all opinions possible, so I hope this helps someone. 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

Saw these in person today.

Believe the configuration was soft boot, single internal/external break. Holy crap was I impressed. A HUGE improvement over the 1st CCM Premier in every aspect. But kept all the great things about a Premier (perfect seal, angled boot, etc).

Not as light as the 2S/G4, but had a very nice feel to them. New knee landing is a very welcome addition as well. Super tacky and comfy. Strapping was great and will barely take any time to dial in (although I would like to see an elastic type boot strap/toe tie option that pretty much all the other MFGs have gone to. 

Glove feels like any other 590 break (in a good way).

Biggest shock was the blocker. Was noticeably lighter than previous gen Lefervre blockers...probably that pieces first big change in a long time! Would love to see "max rebound" implemented in it in EF4/P3, however. Especially if @TheGoalNet is correct in saying the pads have the hottest rebounds yet. Don't understand why someone would want a blocker that didn't pop off an extremely far rebound.

Not as in-depth as a 30 min video or an actual review in this thread, but I know I like reading all opinions possible, so I hope this helps someone. 

The rebounds feel the consistently hottest on more shots. 

I think the Bauer approach might be best for the rockets, but the CCM feels like more pucks go further. 

I was I had the ability to test this with science 

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I think the Bauer approach might be best for the rockets, but the CCM feels like more pucks go further. 

A puck machine would push out pretty consistent shots, no?

Strap one person in to each set of pads and measure how far they go off the pad.

9 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

7 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Strap one person in to each set of pads and measure how far they go off the pad.

Damnit... this is what I'm looking for. A pad that sends out hot rebounds with a wider range of shot speeds. While the distance is result, I think it would be interesting to see the CCM data around the velocity of the puck to the pad and off the pad, especially if it could be compared to something like a Bauer/Vaughn. (% lost over a range of shots speeds.) Wondering if the "spring back" effect that Max Rebound touts means higher velocities over a more solid surface like its competitors. 

On 4/26/2018 at 12:38 AM, Chenner29 said:

I'd have to rent ice, find a puck machine, etc etc. I don't have the time or money to spend on that. 

4 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I was talking to pro goalie @Souner92 and he recently demoed P2. He had the some concern I did! For some reason he felt very fatigued after the skate and could not figure out why. The pads are light. Has anyone else the demoed the pads? 

I'm curious to how many people mention the fatigue are coming from CCM P1's or if they're coming from a different pad.

13 minutes ago, Hills said:

Give me a few weeks and I'll be able to comment on this!

Sweet deal.

11 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

You are my most interesting data point because of the Optik FLY connection. @Souner92 is in V7, so it could be a softer vs stiffer adjustment. 

That's also why I was asking. I know it took me some time to adjust to the stiffer R/GT from my butter soft V4's, and I know exactly what you guys are referring to for fatigue. I was able to lessen the blow by freeing up my calf wrap from the landing area on the calf.

23 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Sorry, been a few days since I visited this thread! 

All good, here is something funny....I went yesterday and the loose fit 33 were very awkward on me, my demo set tight fit 33 was good on me.  Found that a little strange, I ended up ordering a 34+1 for my custom set loose.

54 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Had one other thought on the fatigue topic. I wore 1S in M and XL with no fatigue concerns. I wonder if it the strapping is what's using new muscles vs the stiffness? 

This I've been trying to say! :)

Do you feel you're getting a few "free" saves on shots along the ice with these on? An inexplicable feeling that your pad is already there for hard, low shots?
The pads are designed to hang off or release from your leg when you transition from stance to save. 
In that split second, the pad is free floating and will hit the ice faster than your leg. 
This is why the pads feel like they seal the ice so much better than anything else on the market.

Because of the hang/release, your leg is supporting something that "feels" slightly heavier when you are transitioning down and recovering.
It's like the difference between carrying a kid that wants to be carried vs. a kid that fell asleep on the couch.  The latter feels heavier.

Trust me, I'm a scientist
(BS in Anthropology but still, it's a BS)

17 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Had one other thought on the fatigue topic. I wore 1S in M and XL with no fatigue concerns. I wonder if it the strapping is what's using new muscles vs the stiffness? 

Good point... have you tried to loosen up the straping? Especially on the leg calf?

I am looking to buy a set of Premier 2 pads (getting ef3 glove+blocker) my first time custom ordering and I was wondering about a couple different things

Precurved no break

Precurved single interior+exterior 

single break interior no exterior(not precurved)

coulf I have pros and cons as well as how they would perform 

23 minutes ago, Čižmár said:

I am looking to buy a set of Premier 2 pads (getting ef3 glove+blocker) my first time custom ordering and I was wondering about a couple different things

Precurved no break

What pads are you wearing now? 

Do you prefer stiff or flexible? 

How wide is your butterfly? 

What direction do you want your rebounds to go? 

InGoalMag posted a quantifier on the MaxRebound material... aka adiPrRENE+...

"Beyond agreeing rebounds felt more active past CCM pads they tried, it was hard to quantify how much with InGoaltesters, but CCM used their in-house testing to get a better handle on the impact of the new layer of foam. On shots between 70 to 80 miles an hour, the rebounds came back off the pad 5 to 10 miles an hour faster than the original CCM Premier pad."

@TheGoalNet

InGoalMag did a write up on the P2s that came out this morning.  I've highlighted a couple salient points; emphasis is mine:

CCM wanted to make sure the weight reduction did not negatively affect the structural integrity of the new Premier 2 pad, especially given their research at the University of Western Ontario quantified the force of a butterfly drop at three times the goaltender’s weight. [Just a fun fact, thought this was neat]

Along the way, however, we also got a glimpse at the PhD research that Ryan Frayne was doing at the University of Western Ontario in partnership with CCM, and through that work we had our eyes opened to two facts proved by his work: First, a goalie pad can actually get to the ice before the goalie’s knee does, effectively shutting down the five hole faster. And, second, one of the keys to that happening was the pad separating from the knee from the force of that initial drive, and the key role strapping played around the top of the calf played in that. [Note: this highlight reinforces my point above from Saturday]

22 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

What pads are you wearing now? 

Do you prefer stiff or flexible? 

How wide is your butterfly? 

What direction do you want your rebounds to go? 

Ccm premier 1.9 single break core

very stiff 

butterfly is id say fairly wide not really wide but not tight. Tight in knees and feet out good distance 

rebounds out to corners my rebound control is good enough to where it's mainly what hits knee and below

5 minutes ago, Čižmár said:

Ccm premier 1.9 single break core

very stiff 

butterfly is id say fairly wide not really wide but not tight. Tight in knees and feet out good distance 

rebounds out to corners my rebound control is good enough to where it's mainly what hits knee and below

So precurved will be rounded at the top of the pads and help seal the five hole in a narrow butterfly. If you have a wide butterfuly and like a stiff pad, the straight pad could work you. Theoretically, the straight pad will produce a more predictable rebound because a round puck against a round curved knee could create some unusual angles. If you have a narrow butterfly, it might be hard to get the five hole closed and you'll need massive knee pads, like Giggy. 

If you like very stiff, you could go no breaks. I kinda caution against that, without knowing you or seeing you skate, and would recommend getting a single internal break. 

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

So precurved will be rounded at the top of the pads and help seal the five hole in a narrow butterfly. If you have a wide butterfuly and like a stiff pad, the straight pad could work you. Theoretically, the straight pad will produce a more predictable rebound because a round puck against a round curved knee could create some unusual angles. If you have a narrow butterfly, it might be hard to get the five hole closed and you'll need massive knee pads, like Giggy. 

If you like very stiff, you could go no breaks. I kinda caution against that, without knowing you or seeing you skate, and would recommend getting a single internal break. 

Thanks

On 4/29/2018 at 5:36 PM, Čižmár said:

Precurved no break

Why would you get an EF3 glove set with Premier pads? Just curious.

Archived