CCM Premier 2

TheGoalNet

On 4/28/2018 at 4:15 PM, Chenner29 said:

This I've been trying to say! :)

Do you feel you're getting a few "free" saves on shots along the ice with these on? An inexplicable feeling that your pad is already there for hard, low shots?
The pads are designed to hang off or release from your leg when you transition from stance to save. 
In that split second, the pad is free floating and will hit the ice faster than your leg. 
This is why the pads feel like they seal the ice so much better than anything else on the market.

Because of the hang/release, your leg is supporting something that "feels" slightly heavier when you are transitioning down and recovering.
It's like the difference between carrying a kid that wants to be carried vs. a kid that fell asleep on the couch.  The latter feels heavier.

Trust me, I'm a scientist
(BS in Anthropology but still, it's a BS)

I think I get the jist of your point. 

Wore Optik again tonight. Feel like I could feel the puck more and felt more spry in the net. Not weird muscle fatigue late in game.

Missed the seal feeling of the CCMs and the stability once down 

for everyone asking what’s better, there is no better. They’re both great pads that different goalies will like 

not sure which pads I’ll stick with 

It’s like picking between a Cayenne and a 911...

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

Why would you get an EF3 glove set with Premier pads? Just curious.

I can get them a little bit cheaper and I don't not want to wait to get the glove so I can break it in and blocker to match glove. I was debating on ef3 glove and p2 blocker but I'd rather matching gloves

8 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Wore Optik again tonight. Feel like I could feel the puck more and felt more spry in the net. Not weird muscle fatigue late in game.

for everyone asking what’s better, there is no better. They’re both great pads that different goalies will like 

Are rebounds off the CCM solid throughout the pad? Pucks don't die in the softer boot and fire off the thigh?

Curious if a soft boot on the Optik with a FLY core would possibly have this issue as well.

22 minutes ago, Kapz said:

Are rebounds off the CCM solid throughout the pad? Pucks don't die in the softer boot and fire off the thigh?

Curious if a soft boot on the Optik with a FLY core would possibly have this issue as well.

The boot has noting to do with the rebounds. 

If you haven’t seen a pad core, there’s 2 main approaches to the solid core:

- 1 is multiple sheets of different density foams fused together. This will look like glueing multiple sheets of presentation boards together. 

- 2nd is a molded HD foam core. The pad will look like a giant styrofoam cooler shaped like a goalie pad. 

CCM uses the second technique. For the flexible boot, there is a physical notch in the foam at the boot break. This is literally the break and allows the pad to flex. The stiff boot has no notch. 

The rebounds are achieved by a piece of foam in the face of the whole pad. It’s consistent top to bottom 

31532F42-88C2-4CB4-B2D3-5CE1320DE119.jpeg

On 5/1/2018 at 1:39 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Although I have no way of comparing them now, I think I have solved the mystery around the seal / snap into butterfly. An overlooked spec when I ordered either set of my Optik was the knee block. It's the stock medium. There is a custom option for a hard block. This is a firmer feeling setup and should provide a firmer feel for the pad seal. 

Doesn't help too much now, but at least the curiosity is somewhat solved. 

25 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Although I have no way of comparing them now, I think I have solved the mystery around the seal / snap into butterfly. An overlooked spec when I ordered either set of my Optik was the knee block. It's the stock medium. There is a custom option for a hard block. This is a firmer feeling setup and should provide a firmer feel for the pad seal. 

Doesn't help too much now, but at least the curiosity is somewhat solved. 

Going back would you get the same knee block or the hard block?

4 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Hard

Every-time I test a new piece of gear, I learn something new or pick up on something new that I like. 

Put my order in yesterday so still have time to make some changes! Was debating hard with my TGN spec landing.

8 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

What pads are you coming from? What do you like in your pads?

Coming from a Vaughn V7 XF, went with a FLY core and soft boot. Want bigger rebounds and tighter seal, specially in the 5 hole.

1 minute ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

I'm confused, hard knee block for the ccm p2? Explain please....

Was referring to his Optik set, able to select a medium or stiff knee block when buying custom.

27 minutes ago, Kapz said:

Coming from a Vaughn V7 XF, went with a FLY core and soft boot. Want bigger rebounds and tighter seal, specially in the 5 hole.

You will probably be happy with the stock knee block. They call it medium and that's what I have. 

The Brian's medium is a nice soft landing, which is great for old knees, and the overall size / design is great. The pads seal great. I want the harder knee block because it makes the seal fell more firm and also "snaps" when you butterfly. It's a feel and comfort issue, not a performance issue. 

Coming from Vaughn V7, Fly will feel a bit stiffer and the knee block will feel right at home. 

On 4/30/2018 at 10:31 AM, Chenner29 said:

@TheGoalNet

InGoalMag did a write up on the P2s that came out this morning.  I've highlighted a couple salient points; emphasis is mine:

I had the pleasure of meeting Ryan. He has some really cool quantifiable tools for explaining how CCM's designs tangibly stops pucks.  I have not read the InGoal article yet, but Ryan also says the CCM nylon straps get the pads to the ice 1.5 puck heights faster than anything on the market. 

So im about to pull the trigger on some p 2.9 in black, but im abit worried about sizing, im using some Bauer reactor in a size 35 plus 1 looking at the ccm sizing guide from what i understand i would be in a 34 plus 2, does that sound right?

On 5/1/2018 at 4:48 AM, Znowleopard said:

Well except everyone would pick the 911, because its a better car.:giggle:

Between an Audi R8 and a 911 makes more sense ;)

Not if you can only afford 1 car and you’ve got a family of 4!!!

On 5/2/2018 at 3:48 PM, Znowleopard said:

So im about to pull the trigger on some p 2.9 in black, but im abit worried about sizing, im using some Bauer reactor in a size 35 plus 1 looking at the ccm sizing guide from what i understand i would be in a 34 plus 2, does that sound right?

17" ATK should fit in the 32-33" range for a pro level CCM pad.
I think seniors are only produced in even sizes.  You may want to size down to a 32+2.
Those Bauers are probably a smidge tall for you.

Do this very simple exercise:

Open up the back of your pads.
Take a tape measure, start at the middle of the knee cradle on your current pad.
Run it straight down to the seam where the boot breaks near your ankle.
Take that number down and call the retailer you are purchasing from to see if the numbers match.

5 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

17" ATK should fit in the 32-33" range for a pro level CCM pad.
I think seniors are only produced in even sizes.  You may want to size down to a 32+2.
Those Bauers are probably a smidge tall for you.

Do this very simple exercise:

Open up the back of your pads.
Take a tape measure, start at the middle of the knee cradle on your current pad.
Run it straight down to the seam where the boot breaks near your ankle.
Take that number down and call the retailer you are purchasing from to see if the numbers match.

I land on the top part of the knee landing on the bauers, i was going off this size guide, but i will give them a callccm-goalie-leg-pads-sizing-chart.thumb.jpg.1f9d99a55b839c11fc18e54963daa8d4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

How does the p2 leg channel and strapping feel compared to your optik? I'm coming from a modified gn3 with same leg channel as optik. Sliding surface nodded to opti-slide as well. The p2 looks a bit more open for sure. But plays more with more stability? 

Archived