• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

A comparison of the Russian Grip vs Butt Endz 

Butt Endz - .13lb

Russian Grip - .08

Russian Grip is about 40% lighter 

Very interesting. I once weighed a relatively common type cloth tape knob after I cut it off and it was right around 40 grams, so very similar to the Russian grip. 

My Russian grip came in recently. Used it for a couple skates now and haven't noticed any difference, except that now it won't get darker and dirtier over time. Was even able to eat the ribbed grip with the Goalie knob. Might use their black Friday deal to get one for my other stick too. 

(Banana for scale) 

20171123_193958.jpg

6 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I envy (or maybe not?) the person who can feel such a miniscule difference. 

I would say whether you’re going to notice or not depends on a lot of factors.

First of all, I agree with you that if the 30 grams or so is distributed over the entire stick, especially a stick of average weight, it would be hard (or at least much harder) to detect a difference in performance.

But if you start with a lightweight composite - my 1S weighs about 650-675 grams - and add the 30 grams to the very end of the shaft, I promise its noticeable. I have a ButtzEnds and have had it on and off my 1S a few times experimenting. Love the durability but I did not like the large knob size and I did feel like it made my stick too unbalanced/shaft heavy. 

A perfect grip/tape alternative has been something of a unicorn for me, even as a player, since I detest taping sticks. Ordered the Russian grip since it was a cheap enough experiment (if I don’t like it, it’ll be offered up to any member here who wants it for the cost of shipping) and they made a custom one with a white knob and black lower portion, which none of the other companies offers. We’ll see - I’m optimistic!

On 11/23/2017 at 7:43 PM, Mroy31 said:

My Russian grip came in recently. Used it for a couple skates now and haven't noticed any difference, except that now it won't get darker and dirtier over time. Was even able to eat the ribbed grip with the Goalie knob. Might use their black Friday deal to get one for my other stick too. 

(Banana for scale) 

Knobs? Bananas?

This could become an NSFW site!!!

@Punisher Goalie - Butt Endz = 5.25cm or ~2in Circumference 

4.25cm 0r ~1.6in Diameter  

Russian Grip = 4cm 0r ~1.57in Circumference

4.25cm 0r ~1.6in Diameter  

The Butt Endz has a convex shape and that's why the circumference is different than Russian Grip, but the Diameter is the same

Butt Endz feels heavier duty (more like a golf grip), has way more applicator spray, and the packaging is definitely reusable. At first analysis, I would trust taking a Butt Endz on and off multiple sticks frequently with no issue. 

Russian Grip is lighter and has a tape like skeuomorphism ( @Murray - told you I used this phrase) look. It was a little light on the applicator spray and the packaging is definitely not reusable. I actually ran out of Russian Grip spray and used the spray from second grip to apply my first grip. I am going to take my grip on and off. When I put it back on, I am going to try hair spray. Apparently, that works well. 

52 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I guess. Was never something I thought about doing. Being able to re-use it doesn’t matter to me at all.

Buttendz are like $25 man! Haha well either way, I can tell you that they come off perfectly. There are a few YouTube vids showing how to do it. I’ve personally removed (hot water) and reinstalled (hairspray) mine 3 times. 

Here is what I am doing now.  I don't like big butt ends.

The grip is Lizard Skins, run about $10/pack.  I use regular tape to fill the knob as I like with a gradual build up to the end, and then the skins go on top.

I'm using the rightmost lighter blue knob job right now and will probably do the same job to the one on the left.

Much better grip and I'm not restricted to what a company deems to be a proper "goalie butt end"

ticks.thumb.jpg.ca817236cf50e52c31ecbeb0a1d93542.jpg

• 1 month later...

My custom order Russian grip came in. Took about 5 weeks from the date of the order. Very happy with the look and feel so far. Much more tape-like than Tacki Mac or Buttendz, although that’s a personal preference thing. 51 grams on the scale, which is pretty close to tape knobs I’ve weighed after cutting them off. Installation was laughably easy with hairspray. 

Only complaint I have is I wish there was the ability to add a stripe of white “tape” at the bottom but that’s just a style thing. Will report back once I’ve had a chance to use it. 

058BFA29-8C33-4195-ABF7-E83B81A7D4A1.thumb.jpeg.e865098434c1746058bd4187b02c445c.jpeg

663F52FE-4669-4E7B-AD02-0D49AF77D405.thumb.jpeg.247bbbd25f481a94cee1e58cc8f781ca.jpeg

ACEE8843-9BDD-4D78-876A-ED95C4095078.thumb.jpeg.1d6af806badab3775a92c1dfff287113.jpeg

Archived