Protechsport Mask Thread

Bunnyman good for you!

While I don't play hockey I spend a lot of time researching equipment in order to provide my son the safest and best performing equipment out there.

His Protecsport full Kevlar mask is nearly two years old and it looks like new - last summer I changed his foam to a Maltese set up. A bitch to work with and I believe better than what comes with the Protechsport mask but my son is not convinced! 

Change the topic on you post to Protechsport - you might as well get one going here!

I will post a picture of my sons mask this weekend when I see him - very easy to post pictures on this forum!

9 hours ago, Mike24 said:

Awesome, someday I want to do this as well. 

I got pushed into this direction because Shawn is shelved indefinitely at this point. After I keep getting cage shot and head shot, I am getting a bit scared, though not scared enough to get out of net! I was going to go with him. I will try to phrase this delicately, but Shawn says Michel makes a good masque. I take Shawn's recommendations pretty seriously as the man knows material. I am educated in composites as I used to build bike frame and parts. I sold my business ten years ago and had a 7 year non-compete. 

I don't know how much longer this option could be available. After all- he could decide to hang it up at any point. Whilst never indicating this could be the case, knowing his age makes me think you should do this sooner rather than later. That being said- he could do this for another 25 years! 

If Shawn gets everything settled again within the wait time for my Protechsport, I will have him build me a masque and will keep my place in the Protechsport queue. I am not kidding when I say living NHL history, so I am perfectly fine with a usable replica of a past hero's masque that stays on display. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Big2 said:

Bunnyman good for you!

While I don't play hockey I spend a lot of time researching equipment in order to provide my son the safest and best performing equipment out there.

His Protecsport full Kevlar mask is nearly two years old and it looks like new - last summer I changed his foam to a Maltese set up. A bitch to work with and I believe better than what comes with the Protechsport mask but my son is not convinced! 

Change the topic on you post to Protechsport - you might as well get one going here!

I will post a picture of my sons mask this weekend when I see him - very easy to post pictures on this forum!

That is a good testimonial!

Let's see the pic!

I'm 2 weeks into my wait time for a Protechsport as well.  I went with a full glass Belfour model.  I didn't want to do the mold either, so I made some calipers and took all kinds of measurements of my head and face and sent them to Michel.  He said he should have no problem finding a comparable head mold which is all he would do with an actual mold of my head anyway, hence the custom padding description.  My Sportmask VX-5 is brand new and so far the best mask I've ever had (Hackva, Fusion), but I thought its always good to have a back up and at an unbeatable price, now would be a good time to get one from a legend in the business.  I actually don't mind the wait because it gives me plenty of time in case I change my mind on the model or decide I want to throw in a paint job.

Have used a Protechsport kevlar for the last 10 years. I love it and would do it all over again if I had to.

I've owned: CCM/HM50, Eddy GT, Sportmask Ricochet, and Protechsport Kevlar.

I have taken some real bombs in everything but the helmet and cage, and the Protechsport is the only one where I didn't fall backwards and land on my butt with a stunned feeling at least once. The Protechsport is noticeably thicker in the front-facing parts of the mask (chin and forehead). It is balanced and light, yet very solid. I have gone through 2 cages and only recently did I notice a new spider web crack in the clear coat.

The worst part is the wait - I waited 6 months for mine. I also did the head mold and while the mask fits perfectly, the next time I order I will probably just tell him what I currently have now and have him find something comparable. I use the Roy model which is a close representation of what we all used to see on his head during a majority of his career.

I think the Protechsport masks have a great look (well, the round hole options anyway - sorry jayluv54!) and the padding is the super comfortable black foam (eva?). You'll be hard pressed to find more value in a mask with the price points that Michel has. My mask is outstanding and feels as though it had been molded for me as a custom.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taco said:

Have used a Protechsport kevlar for the last 10 years. I love it and would do it all over again if I had to.

I've owned: CCM/HM50, Eddy GT, Sportmask Ricochet, and Protechsport Kevlar.

I have taken some real bombs in everything but the helmet and cage, and the Protechsport is the only one where I didn't fall backwards and land on my butt with a stunned feeling at least once. The Protechsport is noticeably thicker in the front-facing parts of the mask (chin and forehead). It is balanced and light, yet very solid. I have gone through 2 cages and only recently did I notice a new spider web crack in the clear coat.

The worst part is the wait - I waited 6 months for mine. I also did the head mold and while the mask fits perfectly, the next time I order I will probably just tell him what I currently have now and have him find something comparable. I use the Roy model which is a close representation of what we all used to see on his head during a majority of his career.

I think the Protechsport masks have a great look (well, the round hole options anyway - sorry jayluv54!) and the padding is the super comfortable black foam (eva?). You'll be hard pressed to find more value in a mask with the price points that Michel has. My mask is outstanding and feels as though it had been molded for me as a custom.

What a testimonial!

I was told there is only one size Roy helmet. I kinda like that shape a LOT. I like the rounder shapes, myself. 

So the six month wait has been the standard for awhile, eh?

4 hours ago, Hills said:

Looks like you got in just before my mold arrived to his factory :P Seems like at least few members here will get a nice surprise in 6 months time!

I'm a bit scared of the head moulding thing! But I will do it! 

Michel says he gets two orders per week, but thinks it will crank up to three in coming weeks.

3 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

I'm 2 weeks into my wait time for a Protechsport as well.  I went with a full glass Belfour model.  I didn't want to do the mold either, so I made some calipers and took all kinds of measurements of my head and face and sent them to Michel.  He said he should have no problem finding a comparable head mold which is all he would do with an actual mold of my head anyway, hence the custom padding description.  My Sportmask VX-5 is brand new and so far the best mask I've ever had (Hackva, Fusion), but I thought its always good to have a back up and at an unbeatable price, now would be a good time to get one from a legend in the business.  I actually don't mind the wait because it gives me plenty of time in case I change my mind on the model or decide I want to throw in a paint job.

What type of calipers? Where all did you measure? 

Would you mind sharing pix of that process? I am not relishing plaster of paris all over the place... 

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

What type of calipers? Where all did you measure? 

Would you mind sharing pix of that process? I am not relishing plaster of paris all over the place... 

I was afraid my wife would try to suffocate me with the plaster and wasn't keen on covering my face with Vaseline.

Here is a youtube video that shows how to do it with cardboard.  Let Michel know this is how you want to do it and he will send you pictures showing you exactly what to measure.  He will likely send you this as a guide from the Sportmask site. http://www.sportmask.com/goalie-masks/masksizing.html 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2017 at 4:18 PM, jayluv54 said:

I was afraid my wife would try to suffocate me with the plaster and wasn't keen on covering my face with Vaseline.

Here is a youtube video that shows how to do it with cardboard.  Let Michel know this is how you want to do it and he will send you pictures showing you exactly what to measure.  He will likely send you this as a guide from the Sportmask site. http://www.sportmask.com/goalie-masks/masksizing.html 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Mike24 said:

I haven't pulled the trigger yet but you have me thinking.  I don't want to miss out on owning one of these pieces of history.   

Again- he could do this for another 25 years, but you never know! Cubberly hung it up nearly two years ago. Of course he charged a HELL of a lot more. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

I did the same. As silly as this might sound, I thought asking my wife to make a mold of my head was 1 step too far for a hobby. In fairness, I was only get a custom padding job in my CCM Pro

Yes Ed is a great guy and once reached out to me personally on GSBB to come to his place and check out his masks( we live somewhat close) . But at the time I couldn't swing one of his masks.  So I didn't want to waste his time.  Looking back now I'd say hell its only money. And I'd own a legendary mask.  

I don't want this to happen again. 

9 hours ago, Mike24 said:

Yes Ed is a great guy and once reached out to me personally on GSBB to come to his place and check out his masks( we live somewhat close) . But at the time I couldn't swing one of his masks.  So I didn't want to waste his time.  Looking back now I'd say hell its only money. And I'd own a legendary mask.  

I don't want this to happen again. 

The difference is that a Cubberly costs as much as three kevlar Protechsport masques, right? Yes- 100% custom with a paint job included, but the wait time was even longer as I recall! Not to take away from Ed, but that is a LOT of cabbage and a HUGE wait time! I would climb walls with that wait time!

On 3/23/2017 at 1:56 PM, jayluv54 said:

Just wouldn't look right with round vent holes.  Mine will be the same color scheme minus the eagle graphic.

Pretty sure that is a Warwick, not a Protechsport.  I can't find a picture on his website that shows all of the molds but all of his masks seem to be more rounded(the shells, not just the vents).  

On 3/23/2017 at 3:00 PM, bunnyman666 said:

I'm a bit scared of the head moulding thing! But I will do it! 

Michel says he gets two orders per week, but thinks it will crank up to three in coming weeks.

On 3/23/2017 at 4:18 PM, jayluv54 said:

On 3/23/2017 at 9:50 PM, TheGoalNet said:

I did the same. As silly as this might sound, I thought asking my wife to make a mold of my head was 1 step too far for a hobby. In fairness, I was only get a custom padding job in my CCM Pro

I did a head mold for my Pro's Choice it wasn't that bad.  My wife, gf or fiance at the time, helped me with it and had fun with it.  It's really not as hard or scary as it may seem haha.

On 3/23/2017 at 9:40 PM, bunnyman666 said:

Again- he could do this for another 25 years, but you never know! Cubberly hung it up nearly two years ago. Of course he charged a HELL of a lot more. 

I was so upset when I found out he was retiring.  I wanted one of his masks so badly.  We emailed quite a lot when he was more active on the GSBB.  When he was available I didn't have the cash.  Then when I had the cash he was backed up so I went with Pro's Choice.  Unfortunately I think that decision damaged the relationship I had made between Ed and myself.  Something I didn't intend to do.  It is what it is though.