Protechsport Mask Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I just started a thread about this, but I realized that this thread may have some useful input, too — sorry if that's a bit obnoxious:

Took a heavy shot to my Brodeur Protechsport the other night, and saw that the cage sustained a small bend/crack. It's not super noticeable — you can see it at the bottom of the eye-opening on the right side (your right).

This is somehow the first time in my 20 years of playing that I've damaged a cage in any noticeable way, and so I'm not really sure how serious/negligible the damage is. Based on some of the bent cages I've seen on here and in the pros, it's pretty minor... but I'd feel better getting a few opinions from people. Is this anything to worry about? Keep my eye on? That crack is just in the paint, right? It shouldn't affect the integrity of the cage, right?

Either way, I should probably email Michel and ask for him to send a spare cage. Has anyone done this before? Do you remember what he charged? I assume that his cages are all uniform size, despite the fact that the masks are all custom-measured... any information is appreciated!

PS — @motowngoalie I visited Michel to get fitted for my mask, and received it in the mail last spring — no bag included. So you may have to treat yourself ;)

IMG_3140.thumb.JPG.10f5c5bfe601ac0f8cfcb954faa4ac49.JPG

IMG_3143.thumb.JPG.65aac3355ea76cd8c2de1b2259041b43.JPG

IMG_3142.thumb.JPG.044b0b0e6dabf18cf0637abd503c0583.JPG

11 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Is this anything to worry about? Keep my eye on? That crack is just in the paint, right? It shouldn't affect the integrity of the cage, right?

^^^ This is every cateye I have ever used. The only issue I have ever had with the cateye is that any bend is noticeable to me while wearing them - quite infuriating. Having used and currently using cheater cage, this is not so, and I know it is bent in three places. Regardless - and given time and shot placement - think they're all bound for this fate. While the powder coating is cracked, I doubt any welds are broken. I have tested this by taking the cage off, taking the clips off, and tapping on the cage in different spots with the handle of a screwdriver. You're attempting to listen for any small rattle or dull sounds. This is A test, not THE test.

I've always gone the dum dum route and pounded out the dent from the inside. Usually gets the desired effect. 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 6:15 AM, stackem30 said:

I just started a thread about this, but I realized that this thread may have some useful input, too — sorry if that's a bit obnoxious:

Took a heavy shot to my Brodeur Protechsport the other night, and saw that the cage sustained a small bend/crack. It's not super noticeable — you can see it at the bottom of the eye-opening on the right side (your right).

This is somehow the first time in my 20 years of playing that I've damaged a cage in any noticeable way, and so I'm not really sure how serious/negligible the damage is. Based on some of the bent cages I've seen on here and in the pros, it's pretty minor... but I'd feel better getting a few opinions from people. Is this anything to worry about? Keep my eye on? That crack is just in the paint, right? It shouldn't affect the integrity of the cage, right?

Either way, I should probably email Michel and ask for him to send a spare cage. Has anyone done this before? Do you remember what he charged? I assume that his cages are all uniform size, despite the fact that the masks are all custom-measured... any information is appreciated!

PS — @motowngoalie I visited Michel to get fitted for my mask, and received it in the mail last spring — no bag included. So you may have to treat yourself ;)

I don't own a Protechsport and haven't talked to Michel, but from previous posts I think he charges around $80 CAD for cages which is a steal compared to current prices. This may be out of date but I would bet they are in that ballpark.

I ordered cages from Michel in summer 2017 and 2018.  They were $90 CAD plus shipping both times. This was for the “certified” style.  Not sure if cat-eye is different.  He had them in stock so I had them in a week or two, Canada to US.

Edited by jc57
Added shipping time

19 hours ago, TitanG said:

I don't own a Protechsport and haven't talked to Michel, but from previous posts I think he charges around $80 CAD for cages which is a steal compared to current prices. This may be out of date but I would bet they are in that ballpark.

11 hours ago, jc57 said:

I ordered cages from Michel in summer 2017 and 2018.  They were $90 CAD plus shipping both times. This was for the “certified” style.  Not sure if cat-eye is different.  He had them in stock so I had them in a week or two, Canada to US.

Thanks fellas — I just wrote to Michel to ask about a replacement. 

I really like the white cat-eye (kind of classic), but I'm wondering if I might not look into a chrome cat-eye instead (assuming he does a single-bar version). I wouldn't have to worry about paint chipping, and since my gear setup is all black/white/silver, it would be kind of cool to have that full color scheme on my mask...

On 1/4/2019 at 9:59 AM, motowngoalie said:

Question: does Michel include a mask bag? Just trying to figure out if I can justify a custom mask bag purchase when my mask arrives 😋

I got mine in July '18 I think?  No bag.

On 1/15/2019 at 9:15 AM, stackem30 said:

Me personally?  I would still play with that cage.  It doesn't look that bad and as mentioned, the weld still looks good.  I have played with worse.  If you take another puck to the cage and it dents more, or, if you get another dent in another spot I would get another cage.

3 hours ago, tubby34 said:

Curious, does protechsport make a Mage like mask? The one with the long cage / combo look? I've been looking for one at a decent price for a few years and I feel like it's time to give in and just go custom. His pricing and style kind of intrigue me.

No he doesn't. All his stuff is based of the Lefereve and Bauer 960/1 shells.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tubby34 said:

Curious, does protechsport make a Mage like mask? The one with the long cage / combo look? I've been looking for one at a decent price for a few years and I feel like it's time to give in and just go custom. His pricing and style kind of intrigue me.

Have you called Sportmask?

Hey y'all, I was switching up the cage on my Protechsport this morning, and I realized I forgot to ask Michel to throw in some extra clips with my new cage — bummer. I'm heading out to a hardware store today, but I have a strong suspicion that these are not something you'd find at a local hardware store or Home Depot (can anyone confirm?). I'm not really looking to order some mask hardware kit online, or go to a hockey store before my next skate (none are particularly local, and we're hosting guests this weekend). I guess if worse comes to worse, I can just put the old dented cage back on for one more game, but I was wondering: 

Can I just used a pair of needle-nose pliers to take the clips of my old white cage? Would that 'compromise' the strength of the clips?

Probably stupid questions, but hey, it's my face, etc.

0.thumb.jpg.aa0394a311d453a718692bab58476afa.jpg0-1.thumb.jpg.ede3584ca3a027e788bccfc9694c1b59.jpg

27 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Hey y'all, I was switching up the cage on my Protechsport this morning, and I realized I forgot to ask Michel to throw in some extra clips with my new cage — bummer. I'm heading out to a hardware store today, but I have a strong suspicion that these are not something you'd find at a local hardware store or Home Depot (can anyone confirm?). I'm not really looking to order some mask hardware kit online, or go to a hockey store before my next skate (none are particularly local, and we're hosting guests this weekend). I guess if worse comes to worse, I can just put the old dented cage back on for one more game, but I was wondering: 

Can I just used a pair of needle-nose pliers to take the clips of my old white cage? Would that 'compromise' the strength of the clips?

Probably stupid questions, but hey, it's my face, etc.

0.thumb.jpg.aa0394a311d453a718692bab58476afa.jpg0-1.thumb.jpg.ede3584ca3a027e788bccfc9694c1b59.jpg

Well you can pry off the old ones with a flat head screwdriver and reuse them. If not these ones from Home Depot work well. 

26116363_10214995136971770_8306175674106107640_o.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Protechsport fans,

Been enjoying this thread and have just pulled the mental trigger to order a Protechsport mask. Sent Michel an email last night to get more intel on the process.

Understanding the wait times, I'm looking for any guidance that might help keep the process moving. I provided the following details based on options mentioned on his site:

- Belfour/Potvin model with triangle vents (if my melon fits the mold)
- Cat eye cage (black)
- White mask
- Chin cup
- Black straps
- Black foam
- Triangle vent holes
- Hidden straps

It's a long weekend here in Canada so not anticipating an immediate response but any thoughts on what I should expect? 

Not sure if paint is in the cards but debating whether a Kirk McLean stripes job (different colours and no 'nucks logo) is attainable within the budget. Anyone worked with any of his reco'd painters? Any ideas on cost and timelines?

item_21484_1.jpg

1 hour ago, rebatttocs said:

Hi Protechsport fans,

Been enjoying this thread and have just pulled the mental trigger to order a Protechsport mask. Sent Michel an email last night to get more intel on the process.

Understanding the wait times, I'm looking for any guidance that might help keep the process moving. I provided the following details based on options mentioned on his site:

- Belfour/Potvin model with triangle vents (if my melon fits the mold)
- Cat eye cage (black)
- White mask
- Chin cup
- Black straps
- Black foam
- Triangle vent holes
- Hidden straps

It's a long weekend here in Canada so not anticipating an immediate response but any thoughts on what I should expect? 

Not sure if paint is in the cards but debating whether a Kirk McLean stripes job (different colours and no 'nucks logo) is attainable within the budget. Anyone worked with any of his reco'd painters? Any ideas on cost and timelines?

item_21484_1.jpg

I haven't worked with Michel before, but I know he himself can do some minor paint jobs (I've seen cage windows painted differently from the rest of the mask). If you want the same type of paint job, then I'm sure it wouldn't cost all that much since it's pretty simple compared to many modern paint jobs.

7 hours ago, TitanG said:

I haven't worked with Michel before, but I know he himself can do some minor paint jobs (I've seen cage windows painted differently from the rest of the mask). If you want the same type of paint job, then I'm sure it wouldn't cost all that much since it's pretty simple compared to many modern paint jobs.

Thanks for the insights @TitanG I'll put in the ask and let the group know as the process progresses.

9 hours ago, rebatttocs said:

Mr. @Doobiesnax might be able to help you with your project :)

Meant to post earlier. My Protechsport finally showed up earlier this week. Pardon the scary photo 🙄

Initial impressions:

-Wow, it's heavy! But a good heavy. I feel really safe in it if that makes sense (insert millenial safe-space joke here 😶).

-I added an extra 3/4" length on the chin and back, and I'm glad I did. Sorta looks like an original 961 long-chin and I like it. I was worried it might impact downward visibility, but doesn't seem to affect it at all.

-So comfortable. I did a small adjustment to the chin cup and that's all it needed to feel like it was an extension of my head.

-Mask wrap looks awesome too. I recommend JF Aumais to anyone considering a wrap.

-Although it was a lengthy wait, I feel more than happy with my purchase and experience.

Glad to answer any questions! 

IMG_20190219_185606840_LL.jpg