Protechsport Mask Thread

1 hour ago, stackem30 said:

I'm going to be in Montréal this weekend, and I was debating stopping by Michel's shop to get fitted molded for a Protechsport. I've always wanted one, and who knows how long Michel will be making them. It's one of those things that I would absolutely kick myself over if I were to lose my chance to have one.

I was just in the middle of emailing him about stopping by, but I wanted to come here first and see what the protocol was. Does he work weekends? Does he create molds for customers, or is that something you're supposed to handle yourself? I just don't want to be inconsiderate and write him an email asking if I can come by and have him do a mold if that's not how things work, etc.

Please let me know, thanks!

Stackem I responded on your Montreal visit thread!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, stackem30 said:

I'm going to be in Montréal this weekend, and I was debating stopping by Michel's shop to get fitted molded for a Protechsport. I've always wanted one, and who knows how long Michel will be making them. It's one of those things that I would absolutely kick myself over if I were to lose my chance to have one.

I was just in the middle of emailing him about stopping by, but I wanted to come here first and see what the protocol was. Does he work weekends? Does he create molds for customers, or is that something you're supposed to handle yourself? I just don't want to be inconsiderate and write him an email asking if I can come by and have him do a mold if that's not how things work, etc.

He was good with me coming by on a Sunday on my way home from a Montreal trip. But that was just to pick up a cage.  Just send him an email. 

20 minutes ago, craig said:

He was good with me coming by on a Sunday on my way home from a Montreal trip. But that was just to pick up a cage.  Just send him an email. 

Looks like I'm all set to stop by his shop on Sunday for a fitting!

I'm pretty excited. I've been drooling over Protechsport masks since I was a kid (whether I knew it or not). I wanted to spring for one back in 2011, but my old mask (an Olie) got absolutely demolished, and I couldn't wait for a Protechsport. So I bought a Hackva instead. But I always wanted a Protechsport, and since I started visiting goalie boards like this one and the GSBB, I've become all too aware that a craftsman like Michel won't go on making masks for ever, and that his masks are (relatively) custom to each buyer, based on the shape/sizing. So I feel like this is my chance to make an investment in my own long-term gear happiness.

Edited by stackem30
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2017 at 8:36 PM, stackem30 said:

I don’t know about Michel for sure but I do know that both Malerba and Cubberly both do molds, or did in Cubberly’s situation.  I’d bet Doganieri does too.  

My Brodeur model.  Easily the best gear purchase I have ever made.  Thinking of repainting it white with the Cheevers style stiches just so I can move from navy gear.  I hate not matching to the point I stiched a Bruins logo onto a St. Louis style jersey just so I could represent my team while matching my gear.

FB_IMG_1507295965574.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/5/2017 at 9:34 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

I don’t know about Michel for sure but I do know that both Malerba and Cubberly both do molds, or did in Cubberly’s situation.  I’d bet Doganieri does too.  

Michel won’t need to do a mold if you visit, he will fit you live using a reference shell. He has a copy of each shell and can size you up pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Drew37 said:

Very nice.  Gotta love that cheater cage!

Thanks!!!!

Whilst not making up for the rust that has occurred over the last 9 weeks, the masque was not a distraction. The mask did not make me play worse; my illness made me play poorly from all the rust!!!!!

I could see perfectly out of the masque. It is light and balanced. It fits PERFECTLY. The ONLY drawback is the wait and sometimes the wait does get extended without much notice, but the quality and price makes up for those factors. Or you could say there is no such thing as free lunch. Just have something okay to tide you over for your seven months! 

Yeah it's a long wait, but the results speak for themselves.  Like I've said before, best purchase I've ever made gear related.  I don't have any particular brand loyalty.  I've tried many different brands from Vaughn to Bauer to Brian's etc.  When anyone asks me to pick my favourite pads or gloves I always have a couple different answers.  I only have one answer for best mask.  Nothing beats Protechsport.

8 hours ago, Drew37 said:

Yeah it's a long wait, but the results speak for themselves.  Like I've said before, best purchase I've ever made gear related.  I don't have any particular brand loyalty.  I've tried many different brands from Vaughn to Bauer to Brian's etc.  When anyone asks me to pick my favourite pads or gloves I always have a couple different answers.  I only have one answer for best mask.  Nothing beats Protechsport.

My wife will kill me, but soon  I will be ordering a spare fibreglass masque from Protechsport as I can’t bear to think that my CCM fibreglass helmet may not be the safest thing compared to a Protechsport. Yes- I have abandoned the combo. I should have done that awhile ago when I got pinged in the jaw. If Shawn (Kustom Composite) gets back going, I will probably have him flesh out an experiment we had discussed. 

Edited by bunnyman666

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

My wife will kill me, but soon  I will be ordering a spare fibreglass masque from Protechsport as I can’t bear to think that my CCM fibreglass helmet may not be the safest thing compared to a Protechsport. Yes- I have abandoned the combo. I should have done that awhile ago when I got pinged in the jaw. If Shawn (Kustom Composite) gets back going, I will probably have him flesh out an experiment we had discussed. 

How's he doing these days?

1 hour ago, Hills said:

That chin looks HUGE did you get it extended?

No it's not extended chin, but the Image lies a bit. The chin isn't as huge as it shows on that image. You can see the true size of the chin on the first image.