Lundy Loop vs No Boot Strap

mufforz

Tried searching and could really find what i was looking for in comparison..... I understand the lundy loop lets your pads rise when you drop to bfly and basically no boot strap allows free range.  Is their any other pro/con or really I'm looking for a comparison of at least those 2 styles if not all.  Currently i wear the strap in normal configuration.  Thanks All. Oh and if their already is a forum for this please just link it.  Cheers

I think Lundqvist loop is the best of both worlds. Having no boot strap is nice for freedom of movement, since most people wear their boot strap so loose it's not doing anything anyway. Which makes sense, since the entire purpose of the boot strap is to prevent your pads from rotating. Made sense in the 70s; not so much now. (Of course this is where you get the people saying things like "I wear a tight boot strap and don't have any issues" but like a lace toe tie it just means you're adapted to that disadvantage)

The Lundqvist loop gives you that freedom while still being connected and ensures your pad stays up. If you have one, you should use it. 

On my Passau I actually use both, but that's because it's one big strap and it's elastic so it doesn't restrict range of motion at all. This photo is before they re-made the pads, so the boot/lunqdvist straps are on the INSIDE of the outer flap, but this gives you an idea of my strapping. Keep in mind both the boot strap and the lundqvist strap are the same long strap.

0Ap7RH5.jpg

On 4/28/2018 at 12:02 PM, IPv6Freely said:

0Ap7RH5.jpg

I just love the look of your setup @IPv6Freely... the material selection on the pads... VH skates... black Vertexx... DLC Step Steel... ????

@mufforz As for the Lundy loop... i don't use it myself. ProLaces through the holder and leather strap through the heel still. In part because I ordered the pads a touch too tall and I don't want them to slide up... in part because it's just comfy for me. You'll get some additional control of the lower portion of your pads using the Lundy loop but most guys wear it so loose it's no real different from not using it at all. In fact, and correct me if I'm wrong here anyone, but I think the Lundy loop was initially designed to keep within NHL strapping regulations... it mandated attachment to the skate... but didn't specify where exactly. Thus enter the Lundy Loop. 

40 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I just wish I hadn't gotten the white accents on the skates! LOL 

Quick whistles are wonderful :) 

Hahahaha... agreed on the quick whistles... but i like the white accent. This is also coming from a guy who had all white Grafs at one point though.

@IPv6Freely - appreciate the info, you pads are actually the first I've seen with both boot strap and lundy strap... I guess I just assumed it was boot strap to lundy loop.

@BadAngle41 You and I do basically the same set up except I do boot strap through the center of my cowling.  For now my pads are to big as to why I've never tried lundy loop but my new set should be the correct size ( I say should because I could exactly try them on prior to ordering as Brians retailers are scarce here in germany) Assuming they fit right I plan to try out lundy and no boot strap 

2 minutes ago, mufforz said:

@IPv6Freely - appreciate the info, you pads are actually the first I've seen with both boot strap and lundy strap... I guess I just assumed it was boot strap to lundy loop.

@BadAngle41 You and I do basically the same set up except I do boot strap through the center of my cowling.  For now my pads are to big as to why I've never tried lundy loop but my new set should be the correct size ( I say should because I could exactly try them on prior to ordering as Brians retailers are scarce here in germany) Assuming they fit right I plan to try out lundy and no boot strap 

I'm in the same boat after shaving my pads down... I'll give the 'ole Lundy Loop a try now that all the kids have moved on to no attachment at all.

11 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Hahahaha... agreed on the quick whistles... but i like the white accent. This is also coming from a guy who had all white Grafs at one point though.

Yeah, and the new white accents on the True look better than the ones on the VH did. But next set will be all black. Maybe 1-piece, too, since you can't get black Step cowlings yet!

10 minutes ago, mufforz said:

I showed that photo to Passau and they were like "yeah I guess you could do it that way". I'm like... there's two straps, how else would I do it, exactly? I have no idea. They're elastic though so it's like they're not even there. 

Bonesinium well said - as I was scrolling down the thread those where my exact thoughts!

Also and this has nothing to do with the strapping of pads - I think the shot was going wide?

9 hours ago, Bonesinium said:

Murray just gave up a goal where the puck hit the outside of his boot, rotated the pad, caused the puck to bounce up and over it and in. I bet a boot strap would have prevented the over rotation and goal...

07F2A0A9-313B-468E-86A6-915E6E9D4598.png

551F7BFB-77A9-4991-9949-545D868EAB49.png

...but if his leg pad rotated out of position, shouldn't he have immediately suspended all focus on the puck, and sought to get the referee's attention, and a sympathetic whistle...? Perhaps remove the offending piece of equipment and throw it, should the play progress and a goal ensue...?

Whaaaat? Too soon? :giggle:

Archived