Do you do glue (or other goo) too?

Lucky Pucker

I started playing in March, and found a used Vaughn V5 7465 blocker and trapper set a guy in Ottawa was selling for $125. Absolutely thrilled with both gloves, and satisfied I got a very good deal.

I had noticed a bit of a tear on the bottom of the blocker when I bought it (I guess duded was a big paddle-down guy, because it's the only place on either glove that had wear-through of any kind). Since I'm new, I've only played 3 pick up games, and done 6-7 lessons, so I haven't developed a style or anything - and I'm not even thinking to employ paddle down - but checking my gear after last night's lesson, it seems to have gotten a bit bigger.

I am looking to fix this on the cheap, at home. So my question for the panel is: could I use an adhesive (I'm thinking a thicker, tacky one, like construction adhesive that adheres to multiple surfaces)...? Would this be ill-advised?

For the "...a blocker is a blocker" crowd, should I just let it deteriorate to the point where I can tell SWMBO that I have to buy another one...? :baller:

image.thumb.png.cc65427b0c211b0bba42944dc0cd636e.png

image.thumb.png.bdeb4a5a2bfa77110aff6e73e897f3a1.png

36 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I started playing in March, and found a used Vaughn V5 7465 blocker and trapper set a guy in Ottawa was selling for $125. Absolutely thrilled with both gloves, and satisfied I got a very good deal.

I had noticed a bit of a tear on the bottom of the blocker when I bought it (I guess duded was a big paddle-down guy, because it's the only place on either glove that had wear-through of any kind). Since I'm new, I've only played 3 pick up games, and done 6-7 lessons, so I haven't developed a style or anything - and I'm not even thinking to employ paddle down - but checking my gear after last night's lesson, it seems to have gotten a bit bigger.

I am looking to fix this on the cheap, at home. So my question for the panel is: could I use an adhesive (I'm thinking a thicker, tacky one, like construction adhesive that adheres to multiple surfaces)...? Would this be ill-advised?

For the "...a blocker is a blocker" crowd, should I just let it deteriorate to the point where I can tell SWMBO that I have to buy another one...? :baller:

image.thumb.png.cc65427b0c211b0bba42944dc0cd636e.png

image.thumb.png.bdeb4a5a2bfa77110aff6e73e897f3a1.png

Personally I wouldn't spend the time to sew it... the piece that's breaking off is too small to stitch back on. For now just use some adhesive, contact cement or something. If you really wanted to go all out you could glue it down and replace the binding but it doesn't sound like you're looking to get another 3-5 years out of this thing.

2 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Personally I wouldn't spend the time to sew it... the piece that's breaking off is too small to stitch back on. For now just use some adhesive, contact cement or something. If you really wanted to go all out you could glue it down and replace the binding but it doesn't sound like you're looking to get another 3-5 years out of this thing.

Bingo. If I manage to stick this goalie thing out longer term - and all joking aside, my wife is super-supportive of this - then I'll be looking/hoping to replace in a year or 2. I have to try to not spend for the foreseeable future though, as I dropped a bundle getting everything all at once about 2 months ago.

Glad to hear that adhesive is not a completely crazy proposal.

This is where I am a HUGE proponent of a strip of padskins in that area that I replace on a regular basis. It also prevents water from getting in later so it doesn’t start weighing more by the end of a session. I cover pucks with the nose of the blocker, so I like the extra grip on the puck with a strip of jenpro there. 

10 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Bingo. If I manage to stick this goalie thing out longer term - and all joking aside, my wife is super-supportive of this - then I'll be looking/hoping to replace in a year or 2. I have to try to not spend for the foreseeable future though, as I dropped a bundle getting everything all at once about 2 months ago.

Glad to hear that adhesive is not a completely crazy proposal.

I hear you on the budget piece. It adds up quick. I go in spurts buying gear... but always tinkering. Right before my wife and I had twins I ordered a custom Retro Flex set telling myself it might be the last time I do it given the cost. Of course it won't be... and I have new C/A on order and about to place an order for a new neck guard... just space it out and pick up things as you need them. Mask and cup are the 2 I don't hesitate on if I see any damage whatsoever. 

6 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

This is where I am a HUGE proponent of a strip of padskins in that area that I replace on a regular basis. It also prevents water from getting in later so it doesn’t start weighing more by the end of a session. I cover pucks with the nose of the blocker, so I like the extra grip on the puck with a strip of jenpro there. 

@bunnyman666... great call. 

13 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

@bunnyman666... great call. 

Thanks. 

The Vaughn blocker I had reskinned, I had also spec’d a strip of Jenpro for that purpose, especially since I had it skinned in Nash (which is a SPONGE). I still padskin over that bit. Not a big proponent of binding on that area because of the wear. That is where I concede to modern construction!

557CA747-91D5-48F4-9841-B4FA8B92BD8C.jpeg

B8D7236A-7A0E-47B8-8BFF-01FD82C44582.jpeg

A56AD959-C252-4486-B777-0517CFE93E4C.jpeg

20 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

OK, so "if" I went this route, is it possible to get a small amount of padskinz/jenpro? I'm in Ottawa - not sure where I would begin to look...

15 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I hear you on the budget piece. It adds up quick. I go in spurts buying gear... but always tinkering. Right before my wife and I had twins I ordered a custom Retro Flex set telling myself it might be the last time I do it given the cost. Of course it won't be... and I have new C/A on order and about to place an order for a new neck guard... just space it out and pick up things as you need them. Mask and cup are the 2 I don't hesitate on if I see any damage whatsoever. 

Twins... wow. I have two freeloaders myself, but (perhaps mercifully) they have ~21 months between them. But they still cost $$$. I can't imagine saying "Honey - I'm ordering custom gear..." especially as I have also used the "...I probably won't have to buy this piece ever again" line already. :$

2 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Thanks. 

The Vaughn blocker I had reskinned, I had also spec’d a strip of Jenpro for that purpose, especially since I had it skinned in Nash (which is a SPONGE). I still padskin over that bit. Not a big proponent of binding on that area because of the wear. That is where I concede to modern construction!

Nice :thumbup:

8 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

OK, so "if" I went this route, is it possible to get a small amount of padskinz/jenpro? I'm in Ottawa - not sure where I would begin to look...

Twins... wow. I have two freeloaders myself, but (perhaps mercifully) they have ~21 months between them. But they still cost $$$. I can't imagine saying "Honey - I'm ordering custom gear..." especially as I have also used the "...I probably won't have to buy this piece ever again" line already. :$

You can buy small pieces of the padskinz. I recommend that particular product because it is self-adhesive. 

6 minutes ago, Kapz said:

Could check out a place called BK sports in Ottawa, they do repairs and mods for very reasonable prices and excellent work.

Wow - thanks @Kapz ! I hadn't heard of him before. He's really close to my house, and almost across the street from where I get my skates sharpened. I'm on the ice Friday and Sunday, then Tuesday... so maybe I'll have to wait until I have a longer pause between skates, but I will check him out!

40 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Thanks. 

I posted on the CR1 thread how I visited my local shop to get my skates sharpened yesterday and totally talked myself into buying a couple CR1s if they had some... of course they didn't... in fact the only "Pro" level goal equipment they had were some blockers... 1s, Optik, and an SLR... I really liked the SLR. Who did your reskinning work?

Just now, BadAngle41 said:

I posted on the CR1 thread how I visited my local shop to get my skates sharpened yesterday and totally talked myself into buying a couple CR1s if they had some... of course they didn't... in fact the only "Pro" level goal equipment they had were some blockers... 1s, Optik, and an SLR... I really liked the SLR. Who did your reskinning work?

Sara at PAW. She is fantastic!!!

1 hour ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Sounds like that local shop is your best bet, but if you get the modding/repair itch, you can also buy jenpro by the sq ft from FixMyGear.

5 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

Sounds like that local shop is your best bet, but if you get the modding/repair itch, you can also buy jenpro by the sq ft from FixMyGear.

Nice one - cheers for that, @Mroy31

...of course any such itch would probably be in direct competition with my craft beer itch. Ain't no challenger that is gonna win that fight! :chug:

14 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Nice one - cheers for that, @Mroy31

...of course any such itch would probably be in direct competition with my craft beer itch. Ain't no challenger that is gonna win that fight! :chug:

Mods and repairs can be quite addictive, especially if you happen upon something unique to you that enhances your game. Keep that in mind!

2 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Mods and repairs can be quite addictive, especially if you happen upon something unique to you that enhances your game. Keep that in mind!

Warning received! :)

I'm still so new to this though as to not even have "a game" to enhance; the flip side is that I have the relative luxury of assuming that anything and everything that goes badly is simply due to me being a shit goalie - LOL!

2 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I'm still so new to this though as to not even have "a game" to enhance; the flip side is that I have the relative luxury of assuming that anything and everything that goes badly is simply due to me being a shit goalie - LOL!

No, that's the incorrect mindset.

All mistakes are defense and/or gear related.

6 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Defense... defense... that rings a bell... aren't those mythical creatures from like LOTR or something....?

One thing I've learned for sure in my short time; there sure as fuck isn't anyone who plays defense in pick up games!

Defense in drop in is a unicorn.

12 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I started modding when I was at your point of the game; much of my modding was from poor sizing advice and being a rank noobie, which led to over-sized equipment. Your game will evolve.

7 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Defense... defense... that rings a bell... aren't those mythical creatures from like LOTR or something....?

One thing I've learned for sure in my short time; there sure as fuck isn't anyone who plays defense in pick up games!

That's why I don't even bother with pick up games.

Lower skill level mixed in with just general laissez fair pace. Just not for me currently.

Maybe when I'm older I'll play more for fun and not as competitive.

5 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

That's why I don't even bother with pick up games.

Lower skill level mixed in with just general laissez fair pace. Just not for me currently.

Maybe when I'm older I'll play more for fun and not as competitive.

Maybe when I'm less-shitty I'll play more competitively - LOL! :D

14 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I started modding when I was at your point of the game; much of my modding was from poor sizing advice and being a rank noobie, which led to over-sized equipment. Your game will evolve.

TBH, I dabbled a bit when I was a kid, working on repairing some of those 80s brown Pooper Cooper pads and gloves that we would beat to hell playing street hockey nearly every day. I even re-strung a trapper reasonably well... at least that's how I remember it. I really enjoyed it, so I just might be susceptible to doing some present-day mods after all.

Archived