Optik Pad Break In

Kapz

Newer pads typically don't settle, but you my find that the pad may begin to soften and lose some rigidity.  I've heard of this happening rather quickly with the Optiks and know from personal experience that this started happening with my G3's.  Its a different kind of break down that occurs now in modern pads.

Mine have not broken down in size at all (34+1 FLX) but they are noticeably softer than they were 2 months ago. similar to a double break vaughn pad, but with a better lateral stiffness.
should've gone with the FLY.

On 5/5/2018 at 11:38 PM, Urabus33 said:

Mine have not broken down in size at all (34+1 FLX) but they are noticeably softer than they were 2 months ago. similar to a double break vaughn pad, but with a better lateral stiffness.
should've gone with the FLY.

Thanks for the info. Whenever people ask for a recommendation, I always suggest FLY. It's stiffer, but not crazy. I can't imagine it being too stiff for anyone. 

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Thanks for the info. Whenever people ask for a recommendation, I always suggest FLY. It's stiffer, but not crazy. I can't imagine it being too stiff for anyone. 

I ended up ordering FLY with a soft boot see how that turns out in 8 weeks or so.

On 5/8/2018 at 9:23 AM, TheGoalNet said:

I made the mistake of judging the book by its cover and they are WAY to soft now. And even storing them right side up they have too much pre-curve 

8 hours ago, Urabus33 said:

I made the mistake of judging the book by its cover and they are WAY to soft now. And even storing them right side up they have too much pre-curve 

I found this to be the case with OG GNetik. They held beautifully long term and stopped getting soft once full broken in, but it was night and day from the box. I loved them for about 1 month and then started to mod them to improve the feel and seal 

I don’t know your financial position or how much you care... but Factory Mad could definitely pop them open and stiffen up the core. He’s trust worthy for that 

FLY has been good so far. 

On 5/10/2018 at 7:35 AM, TheGoalNet said:

I found this to be the case with OG GNetik. They held beautifully long term and stopped getting soft once full broken in, but it was night and day from the box. I loved them for about 1 month and then started to mod them to improve the feel and seal 

I don’t know your financial position or how much you care... but Factory Mad could definitely pop them open and stiffen up the core. He’s trust worthy for that 

I’ve been considering moving back to a single break Eflex3 pad, or even to a premier 2/ SLR. 

Always wanting to try new stuff, never found that “perfect” pad yet between too stiff and not stiff enough when broken in 

Going to give an update to this, after 30 skates my pads have not settled one bit but they are noticeably softer at the boot break, I’m in a fly core they still retained their shape but now when skating since the boot softened up the pads seem pitched forward so the corners don’t hit each other anymore FYI I do not use a boot strap 

On 5/11/2018 at 5:04 PM, Urabus33 said:

I’ve been considering moving back to a single break Eflex3 pad, or even to a premier 2/ SLR. 

Always wanting to try new stuff, never found that “perfect” pad yet between too stiff and not stiff enough when broken in 

I've got a set of Varlamov's Eflex3's from this past season.  Single break with an ultra soft boot, but a stiffened up thigh rise for a solid seal.  They have the PII leg channel and strapping.  Really feels like a hybrid Eflex3/PII pad.  The only issue I have is that they are +3 thigh rise, which makes it pretty difficult to move.  Otherwise, it is very close to being my perfect pad.

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2018 at 5:35 AM, TheGoalNet said:

As long as they don't get as soft as my GNETIK pro 2's did after 3 years, I'm ok with it. They literally now make a right angle when turned upside down.

On 5/17/2018 at 7:39 AM, jayluv54 said:

I've got a set of Varlamov's Eflex3's from this past season.  Single break with an ultra soft boot, but a stiffened up thigh rise for a solid seal.  They have the PII leg channel and strapping.  Really feels like a hybrid Eflex3/PII pad.  The only issue I have is that they are +3 thigh rise, which makes it pretty difficult to move.  Otherwise, it is very close to being my perfect pad.

I bet something like that is available at retail someday... :baller::rofl:

I just got through trying out a friend's Optik pads. And as I predicted, not for me at all. It was a "FLX" pad which seemed as soft a Vaughn Velocity 3 after 5 seasons of use. I'm exaggerating of course but that was way too soft. No intention of buying from the start but the opportunity arose to use it so I tried. A little soft is good but that was too much. I do like a flat-faced pad which is why I was welcomed to try.

Brian's really should buy the rights from CCM  to the "Extreme Flex" name and call it that. It's super flexy. If that's what you're looking for, it's the pad for you.

On 6/28/2018 at 3:29 PM, ULTIMA said:

I just got through trying out a friend's Optik pads. And as I predicted, not for me at all. It was a "FLX" pad which seemed as soft a Vaughn Velocity 3 after 5 seasons of use. I'm exaggerating of course but that was way too soft. No intention of buying from the start but the opportunity arose to use it so I tried. A little soft is good but that was too much. I do like a flat-faced pad which is why I was welcomed to try.

Brian's really should buy the rights from CCM  to the "Extreme Flex" name and call it that. It's super flexy. If that's what you're looking for, it's the pad for you.

You should look at a FLY. It's much different. I too think FLX is too flexible for my style and preference. I was just comparing my FLY's to P2 now that they are both broken in. They are in the same neighborhood. My guess is that FLY slots between EF and Premier. 

1 minute ago, TheGoalNet said:

You should look at a FLY. It's much different. I too think FLX is too flexible for my style and preference. I was just comparing my FLY's to P2 now that they are both broken in. They are in the same neighborhood. My guess is that FLY slots between EF and Premier. 

Well hopefully Brian's hasn't gotten too far with my pad core's just yet?

Archived