First in the room?

Lucky Pucker

So I have to admit that I can't claim total noob status anymore. Scouts are coming to my sessions, calling the house, sending pamphlets in the mail and stuff... it's a bit annoying, actually, but like y'know - first world problems, right?

Now that I have a few skates under my belt, I am starting to notice little things that are interesting to me. One of them has been that in my as-yet-limited experience, the goalies are always first in the room. For me, it started as a purely practical consideration since I had a shit-ton of gear to get on that I wasn't much familiar with, and I wanted to choose a seat close to the door so that I could get in and out without having to step over/around the carelessly strewn about paraphernalia of the skaters. In my lessons, the other goalie is there as early as me, a good 10-15 minutes before anyone else. When the first skater shows up, it feels  a bit like an intrusion, and the dynamic completely changes.

So I'm curious: is this a goalie thing? Are there any skaters who beat you into the room? Thoughts?

For my regular teams, I'm 90% the first one there. For teams I'm subbing for, I leave a bit later just to make sure i'm getting the right room. Last thing I need is to be there early, have some of the guys on the team I'm subbing on look at me and think they have the wrong room and set up shop elsewhere. I don't need to re-pack my gear and move rooms after the fact.

I'm usually the one entering the parking lot on 2 wheels, crashing into the room and working my way around the guys already dressed and on their way out of the locker room. 

But thats just me, I'll be late to my own funeral 

Always the first one. I CAN get dressed in literally 5 minutes if I have to, but I prefer to take my time. Get the entire lower half on (minus the pads) and just hang out. Walk around a bit to make sure my skates are just right (I wear VH so that's RARELY an issue anymore, unless I've tied them too tight) and just relax. I'm also always the last one out of the room, but thats primarily because again I'll sit there in my lowers (minus the pads) until I've cooled down a bit. I usually still have skates on as people start leaving. 

So 5 out of 6 of us.

There's a single, inconvenient anomaly effing up my hypothesis, and this was a super-precise scientific survey... all of which leads me to ask one question: @glvsav37 why do you hate science?!?!

:rofl:

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

For my regular teams, I'm 90% the first one there. For teams I'm subbing for, I leave a bit later just to make sure i'm getting the right room. Last thing I need is to be there early, have some of the guys on the team I'm subbing on look at me and think they have the wrong room and set up shop elsewhere. I don't need to re-pack my gear and move rooms after the fact.

Good point about the subbing; I'll have to keep that in mind.

41 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Always the first one. I CAN get dressed in literally 5 minutes if I have to, but I prefer to take my time. Get the entire lower half on (minus the pads) and just hang out. Walk around a bit to make sure my skates are just right (I wear VH so that's RARELY an issue anymore, unless I've tied them too tight) and just relax. I'm also always the last one out of the room, but thats primarily because again I'll sit there in my lowers (minus the pads) until I've cooled down a bit. I usually still have skates on as people start leaving. 

Yeah... wow, dude. I'm still very much in the 15-20 minute range (but no more "this goes on before that" mistakes, so that has cut down my time dramatically, allowing me to chill a bit before heading out.

1 minute ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Yeah... wow, dude. I'm still very much in the 15-20 minute range (but no more "this goes on before that" mistakes, so that has cut down my time dramatically, allowing me to chill a bit before heading out.

lol, he's not actually getting dressed in 5 minutes.

I personally have always been unloading my gear out of my car 30 minutes before game time. The locker room s usually half full when i enter. I have been on the same team for 20 years, and everyone has their own place in the room, so thats never an issue. Its always the same guys in before me, and the same guys arriving after. I have found that 30 minutes is enough to take my time getting dressed, and stretch a little with the gear on. I stretch just before leaving the house as well.

I'm always first as well. I like to do a full warmup before I get dressed and it's just kinda awkward doing it when other people are there. I like to run the stands, stretches, etc.

like to do a bit of mental prep/focus beforehand too. I've found I play better when I have some time to focus on my own, without distractions from other people being in the room.

I am always first in the room.  I like to be at the rink an hour prior to my scheduled game time.  Gives me time to get situated, dressed, and stretch.  Always the first in the room and last onto the ice.  I am also always the last to shower and get out of the room.  

1 minute ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I am always first in the room.  I like to be at the rink an hour prior to my scheduled game time.  Gives me time to get situated, dressed, and stretch.  Always the first in the room and last onto the ice.  I am also always the last to shower and get out of the room.  

A little embarrassed? ;)

Never first.

Requires leaving my Jeep key at the desk to get the locker key. Some dudes take forever to get out after the game. You then have to wait. F that.

I can walk in rink when the zamboni just starts and be dressed by the time it's done. 20 plus years of roller hockey experience has some benefits...

23 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

A little embarrassed? ;)

I went to Marin Corps bootcamp.  I showered with 70 naked dudes at one time.  I am not afraid to be naked in front of other dudes lol.  I just like to unwind at my own pace, get packed up, get right into a shower instead of waiting for one, and be on my way.

1 minute ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I went to Marin Corps bootcamp.  I showered with 70 naked dudes at one time.  I am not afraid to be naked in front of other dudes lol.  I just like to unwind at my own pace, get packed up, get right into a shower instead of waiting for one, and be on my way.

when-youre-a-marine-and-you-havent-told-anyone-in-15-minutes.jpg

I prefer to be first in the room.  In every different arena in different dressing rooms there are places I prefer to sit.  Not always by the door, but usually at the end of a bench so that I only have someone on one side of me.  I like to unpack a few of my pieces of gear and lay it out, plus take my time getting dressed.

5 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

:rofl:

Not my intention.  The meme is true as fuck, I loathe people who are like that.  Attention seekers piss me off.

lol, I know it's not your intention.

But what else am I supposed to do? Reply seriously to your serious reply to my joking comment? :drool:

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

lol, he's not actually getting dressed in 5 minutes.

1 hour ago, Lucky Pucker said:

But he said "literally". LITERALLY, @coopaloop1234 !

I mean... people don't just throw that term around carelessly. When they use it, they always mean it... well, literally, don't they? :P:D

I'm not? How would you know?

@Lucky Puckersorry to mess up your experiment. 

I would love to be 1st in, have an hour to clear y head, do stretching...but it is harder as life happens for me...,kids gotta eat, do homework, some nights I'm waiting in my driveway for my wife to pull in from her night job so i can officially leave, trying to get my work done at home....etc. 

I try to be there as early as i can, but its just not poss to be 1st. I envy you guys who can give hockey that much time, I just dont have it as high on the priority scale right now. 

1 hour ago, glvsav37 said:

@Lucky Puckersorry to mess up your experiment. 

I would love to be 1st in, have an hour to clear y head, do stretching...but it is harder as life happens for me...,kids gotta eat, do homework, some nights I'm waiting in my driveway for my wife to pull in from her night job so i can officially leave, trying to get my work done at home....etc. 

I try to be there as early as i can, but its just not poss to be 1st. I envy you guys who can give hockey that much time, I just dont have it as high on the priority scale right now. 

Oh, we’ve got kids too; the secret when they start to get in the way is to push them down! LOL! But seriously, it’s a challenge, and I feel your pain, dude.

Archived