Pad dilemma

Znowleopard

Im looking to get new pads, ive narrowed it down to the CCM Premier 2.9 at 850 euros or the CCM Premier pros at 800 euros, anyone got any clever words to help me decide, im mostly wondering if the performance will be that much better in the 2.9's than the Premier pros.

Thanks

4 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Yes pro is better, but I would look at the level of hockey you're playing....if it's low go with the 2.9, should be a lot lighter.  My P1 are getting damn heavy! And also twice a week for about a year the pad is slowly breaking down. 

Yeah I just started in October, playing twice a week

1 hour ago, Znowleopard said:

One thing i thought of is i currently have bauer reactor 4000, and just looking at the premier 1's they dont seem like such a big upgrade compered to if i go for the 2.9, is that the case?

So my good for nothing brother in law who works for Bauer scored me NONE of my gear, but when I was still looking for pads, he offered a discount on a pair of Reactor 4000s, so I looked into them a bit. From what I remember, they were not very well received...? But hey, if they work for you, then everyone else can just bugger off, right?

Anyway, I ended up with Reactor 9000s that I got for 50% off at my LHS. Now bear in mind that they are my first ever pair, and  I have no frame of reference, but I love them. If they are available over there, and considering you're coming out of the 4000s, maybe that would be an option to consider...? It would probably be cheaper too, since they're a few years old now. With Uni in the UK coming up, you need to save some cash for pints! :chug:

21 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

So my good for nothing brother in law who works for Bauer scored me NONE of my gear, but when I was still looking for pads, he offered a discount on a pair of Reactor 4000s, so I looked into them a bit. From what I remember, they were not very well received...? But hey, if they work for you, then everyone else can just bugger off, right?

Anyway, I ended up with Reactor 9000s that I got for 50% off at my LHS. Now bear in mind that they are my first ever pair, and  I have no frame of reference, but I love them. If they are available over there, and considering you're coming out of the 4000s, maybe that would be an option to consider...? It would probably be cheaper too, since they're a few years old now. With Uni in the UK coming up, you need to save some cash for pints! :chug:

Yeah saving cash is one of my main concerns, belgium has made me a beer snob, i dont even enjoy British beers, so hopefully that will cull the beer spending.  Im not sure upgrading to the bauer 9000s would be worth the upgrade, they seem similar to the 4000

2 minutes ago, Znowleopard said:

Yeah saving cash is one of my main concerns, belgium has made me a beer snob, i dont even enjoy British beers, so hopefully that will cull the beer spending.  Im not sure upgrading to the bauer 9000s would be worth the upgrade, they seem similar to the 4000

It's been a couple of months since I was looking into the differences, but one main difference is that the 9000s come with the Reactor knee pads included. There were some construction/material improvements too IIRC...(?) And I *think* all of the 9000s were "made in Canada" for what it's worth.

To put it all back into context though, I am in no position to make gear recommendations - LOL!

Now for beers, well, I know what you mean. I was actually enjoying a Rodenbach Grand Cru last night while fixing my bag and watching the Caps finish off the Pens! #BelgianBeerSnobs :chug:

3 hours ago, Znowleopard said:

I tried on a pair of g3 in a shop I didn't like the leg channel that much it felt a big weird

That leg channel does take some getting used and some break-in, but once you get used to it and it softens up a bit, you will love the way they feel and perform.

1 hour ago, Lucky Pucker said:

It's been a couple of months since I was looking into the differences, but one main difference is that the 9000s come with the Reactor knee pads included. There were some construction/material improvements too IIRC...(?) And I *think* all of the 9000s were "made in Canada" for what it's worth.

To put it all back into context though, I am in no position to make gear recommendations - LOL!

Now for beers, well, I know what you mean. I was actually enjoying a Rodenbach Grand Cru last night while fixing my bag and watching the Caps finish off the Pens! #BelgianBeerSnobs :chug:

i honestly dont think ill be going for thoes pads to be honest, just cant see the big upgrade, but ive been very happy with my bauers 4000 as starter pads, so i can imagine you enjoy yours ;)

1 hour ago, jayluv54 said:

That leg channel does take some getting used and some break-in, but once you get used to it and it softens up a bit, you will love the way they feel and perform.

Yeah ill keep them in mind, but right now im pretty set on the CCM's, they seem to fit my play style bettter

19 minutes ago, Znowleopard said:

Well i havnt really decided yet between the Premier pros or the 2.9 but im leaning towards the 2.9

Go with the 2.9 especially if you just started playing, after a year or two depending on what happens go Pro if you pick up more games in higher level hockey.  It should do the job for you and you will be happy.  Just get the size down right.  

34 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Go with the 2.9 especially if you just started playing, after a year or two depending on what happens go Pro if you pick up more games in higher level hockey.  It should do the job for you and you will be happy.  Just get the size down right.  

Yeah, looking at the size guide i fit a 34 plus 2 and im now using a 35 plus 1

1 hour ago, Znowleopard said:

Yeah, looking at the size guide i fit a 34 plus 2 and im now using a 35 plus 1

How tall are you? And what's your ATk?

in the P1s I went with a 33+2 and found it to be too tall, I went with a 34+1 for my p2 (ordered it a week ago)

I'm 5'11 and my ATK I believe is around 19

On 5/8/2018 at 10:36 AM, cuprajake said:

go warrior, 

esp if your in europe. 

have a look at http://www.hps-sport-shop.de/  i got a full set of g4 snr from there close to your budget, and a much better pad imo

i was just looking at g4 snr model and according to their sizing chart i would be in a 37 inch pad, pad sizing is more confusing than it should be

@Znowleopard  @cuprajake every pad is constructed differently I find, even with how the pad sits on your skate, and what curve you're getting.  My P1 are a 33+2, good size but an inch too tall.  I put on a P2 straight pad and the 33 were good, however when I went to the store and put the 33 on pre-curved pad it felt awkward and not good so I ordered a 34+1.  This may also got to do with how you strap the pad.  So many factors right?

I think it all depends, many factors to look into sadly.  It's too bad that it's not easier for some of you to put it on at a local hockey store.

Archived