Pad dilemma

Znowleopard

2 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

@Znowleopard  @cuprajake every pad is constructed differently I find, even with how the pad sits on your skate, and what curve you're getting.  My P1 are a 33+2, good size but an inch too tall.  I put on a P2 straight pad and the 33 were good, however when I went to the store and put the 33 on pre-curved pad it felt awkward and not good so I ordered a 34+1.

I think it all depends, many factors to look into.  It's too bad that it's not easier for some of you to put it on at a local hockey store.

i did manage to try the premier 1.9 and the 34 fit perfectly

4 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

That's not how buying goalie gear works.

That's right, I don't listen....I just buy something because I want it.  Everyone has their own opinions....at the end of the day it's about you.

If you want it, buy it!!!! Take the P2.9 over the Pro P1...since you just started out.

Just now, Lucky Pucker said:

DISCLAIMER: @coopaloop1234 enjoys DINK status (self-declared), and may have a different fiscal reality than a Belgian-based Norwegian who will be going to uni in the UK soon. That being said, he also happens to be totally right.

NORWEGIAN???! IM DANISH AND YOU BETTER REMEMBER THAT OR THE VIKINGS WILL COME A CLAIM CANADA AGAIN ?

1 minute ago, Znowleopard said:

NORWEGIAN???! IM DANISH AND YOU BETTER REMEMBER THAT OR THE VIKINGS WILL COME A CLAIM CANADA AGAIN ?

DISCLAIMER: I'm old, get hit in the head regularly (only sometimes by pucks), and consequently don't remember things very well.

:$

Aw, shit - sorry @Znowleopard... I'll start collecting the Danegeld for your imminent arrival (which, incidentally, can help pay for your pads!)

I'll chime in. 

Reactor 9000 CHANGED versus a 4000:

• Squared boot AND thigh = MUCH better seal, as the taper on the 4000's made them not seal well.
  • Significantly improved knee stack 
  • More open knee cradle
  • MADE IN CANADA PRO
  • Double internal, single external break vs. double external/internal
  • Extended calf wrap 
  • Calf lock - elastic added 
  • Angled Knee lock option
  • Different calf landing - more rigid solid outer piece = better sliding by design. 
  • Included knee pad

My ATK is 17.5, i wore 34 Reactor 4000s. Am in 34 Warrior G3's now. (Edit: ATK not FTK. FTK = 21.5). 

2 hours ago, Kayen said:

I'll chime in. 

Reactor 9000 CHANGED versus a 4000:

• Squared boot AND thigh = MUCH better seal, as the taper on the 4000's made them not seal well.
  • Significantly improved knee stack 
  • More open knee cradle
  • MADE IN CANADA PRO
  • Double internal, single external break vs. double external/internal
  • Extended calf wrap 
  • Calf lock - elastic added 
  • Angled Knee lock option
  • Different calf landing - more rigid solid outer piece = better sliding by design. 
  • Included knee pad

My FTK is 17.5, i wore 34 Reactor 4000s. Am in 34 Warrior G3's now. 

The seal is one of the main reasons I wanted new pads, too many 5 hole goals because the thighs didn't seal the ice have a a pretty wide butterfly (the wonders of being naturally flexible and young) so the knee stacks didn't always touch in my butterfly so pucks would go right through

• 1 month later...

Curious to get some insight on goalie pad widths. It's not really talked about or highlighted but I did really notice it when I compare my Warrior Ritual G2's vs. Brian's Optik pads.  The Optiks are noticeably wider and I'm have to make some adjustments in my movements and skating.  I find the pads are touching more frequently.  What have other's experienced?  Do some brands/companies focus on wider or thinner pads?  Similar to thigh rises I think there are positives and negatives where you get more 5-hole protection or general coverage but you sacrifice on movement.

1 hour ago, Adam Cooper said:

Curious to get some insight on goalie pad widths. It's not really talked about or highlighted but I did really notice it when I compare my Warrior Ritual G2's vs. Brian's Optik pads.  The Optiks are noticeably wider and I'm have to make some adjustments in my movements and skating.  I find the pads are touching more frequently.  What have other's experienced?  Do some brands/companies focus on wider or thinner pads?  Similar to thigh rises I think there are positives and negatives where you get more 5-hole protection or general coverage but you sacrifice on movement.

Are you referring to the actual face width or the thickness of the thighrise?

24 minutes ago, Adam Cooper said:

Referring to the actual face width.  I thought most pads where about the same.

All pads are "11".

Or so they are marketed. A lot of warrior pads end up at the 10.5" - 11" depending on location. My RGT's are pretty much 10.5" from top to bottom.

The Optiks are pretty much 11".

So that's why you're noticing a difference. Could also be how each pad sits on your leg too. The 0.5" shouldn't be that noticeable.

Correct, same with my old warriors.   It's about a 1" total difference between my warriors and optics.  I don't have them in front of me right now but I think the other factor is the curve of the pads.  My Warriors are pretty curved from use and also using the Velcro tab to help curve the thigh rise.  My Optiks being so new are less curved which might explain why I find they are bumping more when I skate.  

On 6/15/2018 at 2:19 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

All pads are "11".

Or so they are marketed. A lot of warrior pads end up at the 10.5" - 11" depending on location. My RGT's are pretty much 10.5" from top to bottom.

The Optiks are pretty much 11".

So that's why you're noticing a difference. Could also be how each pad sits on your leg too. The 0.5" shouldn't be that noticeable.

RGT's just seem to be smaller all around.  I compared my set to a Pro Return Eflex3 set I had and I couldn't get over the size difference in the pads and gloves.  I had to double check to make sure I didn't accidentally buy Intermediate gear.  

Archived