Why do people make fun of my skates?

My skates have all of the modern conveniences that the discerning goalie looks for in a skate. Laces, a blade, protection, I've got it all wrapped up in a nice package from 1994. I present to you my Bauer 4000 goalie skates. Think of how strong my legs are moving these two pieces of black cement around!

Seriously though, I get the impression that I may be blown away if I switch to a modern skate. Is anyone still using ancient skates?

Just look at this beauties! Don't get jealous!

skates.jpg

16 minutes ago, aircanuck said:

My skates have all of the modern conveniences that the discerning goalie looks for in a skate. Laces, a blade, protection, I've got it all wrapped up in a nice package from 1994. I present to you my Bauer 4000 goalie skates. Think of how strong my legs are moving these two pieces of black cement around!

Seriously though, I get the impression that I may be blown away if I switch to a modern skate. Is anyone still using ancient skates?

Just look at this beauties! Don't get jealous!

skates.jpg

Damn. I had those. I want to get my 2S painted to look like the 3000s. Would be sick! 

Modern skates are a love ‘em or hate ‘em proposition. Most modern skates are stiffer than what you have which may or may not work for you. Graf is still making a soft skate. Vaughn’s offering is pretty soft, but not like the ones you have.

Use those until they fall apart, I say! 

5 minutes ago, aircanuck said:

I concede defeat...it's a time warp!!

I think I grabbed the pumps new in like '97 or '98 ....  I snagged this graf/vertexx combo this week so i can improve on the current 75 degree attack angle lol....  

grafs.jpg.330df0c7b0764816c143a98ea2d53853.jpg

9 hours ago, RichMan said:

The older Bauers had leather inner lining and molded so well to your foot/ankle, and that was before baking skates was a thing.

My wife looked at this thread with a sigh of relief "they said you can keep your skates and your mask, so we're officially done modernizing your equipment?" My jock is from 1995 as well, but she doesn't seem to care about that bit ?

• 2 weeks later...

Just jump into a current pair. They'll feel taller and the blade will be flat as hell at first - but they are so much better. You'll get comfortable in the newer skates after a few skates and you'll be fine.

We all did it.

Archived