Why do people make fun of my skates?

288361319__1.JPG.4e7e169d9c66250d582519972ca5f961.JPG

I had a pair of these Simmons/Riedell that I used for over 15 years (swapped them out 2 seasons ago for Bauer 9000s).

They were great skates, and stuck with me through a lot. Most notably when a rat got into our basement and ate a bunch of my gear. A lot of the cowling was literally chewed away. 

Eventually had to replace them when the broken down interiors were causing my feet to bleed, but when I first bought these they were a dream comfort-wise. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

@nohtaram The transition has been the toughest equipment battle since my return! I have finally gotten to the point where I can tolerate my Bauer S29s, but of course I had to go buy a set of the True two piece skates. They absolutely kill my feet and my game is horrible in them. Now I'm just tweaking them, wearing them around the house, and going to public skates until I can get the courage to wear them during games again. It's not pretty! Never had such problems with skates in my younger years, but now I am a grumpy old fart and nothing is as good as it used to be. ☺️

I should have just stuck with my old skates and added an insole. 

12 minutes ago, aircanuck said:

@nohtaram The transition has been the toughest equipment battle since my return! I have finally gotten to the point where I can tolerate my Bauer S29s, but of course I had to go buy a set of the True two piece skates. They absolutely kill my feet and my game is horrible in them. Now I'm just tweaking them, wearing them around the house, and going to public skates until I can get the courage to wear them during games again. It's not pretty! Never had such problems with skates in my younger years, but now I am a grumpy old fart and nothing is as good as it used to be. ☺️

Thanks. Did you skate in gear using S29 or just public skates? Was the problem the stiffness of the boot or wrong fitting?

S29s are my current skate, always with gear. With the S29s I think it is just improper fit and dealing with a store that seemed to be rather clueless or just didn't care. I find them getting better after 7 months of use, but it has been misery getting there. What I'll do with my True skates is a mystery! Anyway, enough whining from me. There are more important things in the world than my sensitive tootsies 😂

1 hour ago, aircanuck said:

The true skates you get pain with? That’s not right... are they custom to you or did you buy them used

I say (with no trace of irony or "back in the day..." sentimentality) that all these skates are beautiful, and better looking than almost all of today's skates. Maybe it's because I've always a big 6"-boot lover — and these do have a bit of that aesthetic. Either way, I'm jealous of each and every one of you posting pics!

Since I bought my new to me 900X skates last year (I really should get them baked, but they feel fine) I've had at least 20 different players ask me if I forgot my skates when I'm putting them on or playing. I kind of understand though, most of these guys are 50+ and seeing a cowlingless goalie skate is mindblowing to them.

I recently switched to the old Bauer Supreme 7000 to True Skates and I was blown away. I even went back to use the Bauer's during our playoff game and it felt sooo crappy after skating with the True skates. Before I switched to True I even tried the Bauer 2S which was also night and day vs my old skates. I just couldnt keep them because they weren't the right fitfor me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2019 at 7:01 AM, RichMan said:

I could get my hands on some Bauer 3000s for a great price. Wondering if I trim down the inner cowling wall, would it render the boot too flimsy? I have't worn such skates since my teens.

photo here just for example
image.png.878ed22fb38fcb88a4337aa6e82318aa.png

I wear the 7000s with a one80 cowling.  They don't feel flimsy at all.  I know the 7000s are a little more beefy than the 3000s but I am sure you'd be fine.

• 1 month later...

I have been struggling, my parents sold off my old 7000’s while I took a break from playing. I came back with koho 590’s and have been struggling to find my happy setup since. I’m currently on Graf 4500’s with ccm cowlings. Going to the ccm cowlings are making them feel like speed skates, but it was a bit of a case of going with what I could afford after the Graf cowling breaking down to where the blade wouldn’t stay tight

On 3/10/2019 at 8:04 PM, Flyers27 said:

These beauties have somehow stuck around with me over the years. No idea what kind of Bauer's they are, but they were my first goalie skates, purchased in the mid 80's, probably used. No, I don't still wear them.

IMG_20190310_200113.jpg

I had similar ones in the late 80s; although mine had a grey ICM cowling and the boot was Micron.  Any goal skate with an ICM cowling back then was the Cadillac of skates! 😀  Great post, brings back memories.

Archived