Especially since I am not playing, my other interests have come to the fore. 

My watch collection did shrink because of my dream watch literally fell from the sky... More on that later. Let’s just say it was seven or more years before this finally came along, though it is not “finished”. 

I will show you mine if you show me yours. All watches welcome; even Apple Watches and other electronic devices worn on the wrist, though my interests go mainly on fine Swiss mechanical and quartz watches. An automatic movement snob like me even has room in his collection for a quartz watch, especially since it usually takes a few weeks to get an automatic watch serviced! Yes- despite the reports of people in some cases not even wearing watches, it seems the demand for maintenance and repair service has not slowed down. My local horologist now has five employees servicing watches plus four others who change batteries and size bracelets!

Let’s see your fine timepieces!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Fullright said:

No watch here, bunny, at least that I wear. The plunger just destroys the end of the cuff on my shirts given my handedness. Meanwhile, I am glad the as the seconds tick away, you're writing more. Hope you get better!

Thank you.

I find it strange that nobody has thought of a left-handed watch. 

I saw the play on words! 

4 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Thank you.

I find it strange that nobody has thought of a left-handed watch. 

I saw the play on words! 

Lefty watches exist, but the selection is pretty limited.  I've seen some Panerai models with the crown and crown guard on the left hand side of the case. 

Here's my mini collection.  I don't wear the Seamaster Pro on the left anymore.  38mm case, so it looks tiny on my wrists.
I alternate between the Planet Ocean on the right and the Datejust 2 in the middle.

The new ceramic model Daytona is my grail watch, I've been shipping a couple bucks every week to the lottery in hopes of being able to get one...

image.png.ba4dd5a137a9d71942c032f6487f69b8.png

4 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Lefty watches exist, but the selection is pretty limited.  I've seen some Panerai models with the crown and crown guard on the left hand side of the case. 

Here's my mini collection.  I don't wear the Seamaster Pro on the left anymore.  38mm case, so it looks tiny on my wrists.
I alternate between the Planet Ocean on the right and the Datejust 2 in the middle.

The new ceramic model Daytona is my grail watch, I've been shipping a couple bucks every week to the lottery in hopes of being able to get one...

image.png.ba4dd5a137a9d71942c032f6487f69b8.png

Very nice collection! 

Just to think- the old steel Daytona about 15 years ago could be had for $1100 USD; now you can’t touch an old Daytona for less than $10K USD. Makes me wish I bought that $1100 example all those years back.

Mine is a mini collection, as well since I shed a few for my holy grail. I will post it in a bit.

Thanks for sharing.

Okay- somehow, I have misplaced my Tag Heuer. I was wearing that whilst waiting for my holy grail to get serviced. I will find it; it is just not in the watch box that I have. 

One cool one that I have also has the rare, in-store display to go with it. Not a huge collector piece, but I like it, none the less.

image.jpg

This is an Apollo 15 replica. These have been re-issued a few times over the years. This has the ballistic nylon strap most commonly associated with it being worn in space. There is now a bracelet for this, but I am not going to try and find one, let alone buy one from a dealer as it would cost a bloody fortune!

Here is the holy grail and the story behind her:

I have always wanted this watch, and every time one came along, it would somehow slip away from me. Over seven years, they would pop up and some how the deal would fall through! One seller tried to sell one for the price of a used President! Ha!!! I bet he is STILL trying to hold out for that money LOL

It is rare, yet not quite as desirable as its other counterparts; my dad calls it the “Studebaker” of Rolex watches, as in the ultimate example of rare but not that desirable. It’s smaller case size (34mm; until recently the Datejust case was 36mm)  is off-putting for some, but with my bone-structure, it fits well. I can be fat as a house with tiny wrists!

I sold my gold Omega manual wind dress watch and my stainless Oris in order to get this, as well as trading in my Stainless and gold Datejust with fancy blue dial (sigh). I want a blue dial for this watch, but they are very rare. This movement is an early example and not many choices of dials are available to fit. I may have to find a poor example of a dial to be refinished in Submariner blue.

This is a 1969 Rolex Date in 18K gold:

image.jpg

I call it “incomplete” because I am now saving up for a bracelet to go with it! I am buying an Italian repro bracelet, as a genuine Rolex bracelet would cost WAAAAY too much! This has become a very acceptable practise to those who wear Rolex watches, as in some cases, the genuine bracelet will costs as much as the watch itself! If I find a genuine Rolex clasp, it will fit in and would be very difficult to see the difference!

12 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

If that is for reals- I gotta know where you got it!!!!

I think it is for reals - but my ownership of the time piece in question is not (I don’t actually need a man-made aid to know when it’s Beer o’clock; I have a natural internal clock for that - lol!)

My real watches are not all that fancy (in fact, I just replaced the battery on a Roots watch that must be about 12 years old.) I won’t sully your thread with a commoner’s trinkets...

9 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I think it is for reals - but my ownership of the time piece in question is not (I don’t actually need a man-made aid to know when it’s Beer o’clock; I have a natural internal clock for that - lol!)

My real watches are not all that fancy (in fact, I just replaced the battery on a Roots watch that must be about 12 years old.) I won’t sully your thread with a commoner’s trinkets...

Another fun watch would have nothing but 5’s for all of the numbers, as in it is 5 o’clock somewhere!

Your Roots watch is welcome if you want to show it. I am welcoming Apple watches, after all.

Here is my current watch15269139556781347627173.thumb.jpg.6d1bdc415fcc4e7c92603a8ce2472f3f.jpg

(it's says merry Xmas in danish) 

I am actually on the hunt for a watch though, most watches I find are either too big too thick, the strap is uncomfortable or it looks too much like a transformer , oh or too expensive, currently looking for a smallish 200 euro  minimalistic watch if anyone has any idea what that would be

11 minutes ago, Znowleopard said:

Here is my current watch15269139556781347627173.thumb.jpg.6d1bdc415fcc4e7c92603a8ce2472f3f.jpg

(it's says merry Xmas in danish) 

I am actually on the hunt for a watch though, most watches I find are either too big too thick, the strap is uncomfortable or it looks too much like a transformer , oh or too expensive, currently looking for a smallish 200 euro  minimalistic watch if anyone has any idea what that would be

Are you looking for something vintage? The market, in at least America, would have something smallish without a huge brand name in your budget. Heck- you could get an early Tag Heuer F1 at your price range. 

8 minutes ago, MTH said:

I'm too lazy to switch them. I used to have work watches and this for around the house. No more.

Nothing wrong with that. Of course my main watch gets worn in a lot of places that others may never wear theirs. A plastic crystal for my watch is $60 and can be buffed out several times before it needs to be replaced. 

I get that Apple watches can be great; I just can’t get behind constant replacement on an item; though iPhones require constant replacement and I own one (though getting tired of Apple’s merry go round). But we all have different priorities and that is perefctly okay.

3 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I get that Apple watches can be great; I just can’t get behind constant replacement on an item; though iPhones require constant replacement and I own one (though getting tired of Apple’s merry go round). But we all have different priorities and that is perefctly okay.

The iPhone is easy since I just get a new one every year via the upgrade program. With the watch, I buy a new one when I see a feature I like. I had the OG and the series 2. Didn't buy the series 3 because I don't really care about LTE on my watch at this point. I only got the Series 2 for the GPS (and because the OG watch was pretty slow). 

It's just too functional to not use it day to day. I get all my notifications, can track workouts (including heart rate), notifications, can play music through it to my AirPods without needing my phone, etc. And even then I only use like 10% of what its capable of.

I'm also registered in the Apple Heart Study. 

2 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

The iPhone is easy since I just get a new one every year via the upgrade program. With the watch, I buy a new one when I see a feature I like. I had the OG and the series 2. Didn't buy the series 3 because I don't really care about LTE on my watch at this point. I only got the Series 2 for the GPS (and because the OG watch was pretty slow). 

It's just too functional to not use it day to day. I get all my notifications, can track workouts (including heart rate), notifications, can play music through it to my AirPods without needing my phone, etc. And even then I only use like 10% of what its capable of.

I'm also registered in the Apple Heart Study. 

That is great! If I were more techy- I probably would plunk down my ducats!  

My biggest problem is that if something horrible and irreparable were to happen (or gets stolen)  to my iPhone and I weren’t eligible for upgrade, I would most likely end up going back to a cheap flip phone! Sure- the internet is neat and all that, but I would not over-spend if not eligible for the upgrade! That’s just me, and I am certain that I am in the minority...

My Rolex watches always went up in value at least 20% by the time I would trade them! I have owned 6 counting my gold Date model. I really can’t upgrade unless another “Studebaker” Rolex comes along (the larger Datejust in 18K; don’t like the busy dial of a Day/Date, a.k.a. President).  I imagine that whilst other premium makes will not enjoy this level of appreciation, Rolex is like the Stetson hat: sets a standard, and is classic and always desirable no matter the fashion of the time. I guess since I am used to appreciation on timepieces, I can’t let go of $350 for an iWatch...

Different strokes, right?

BTW- nice automatic piece you have there. 

2 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

That is great! If I were more techy- I probably would plunk down my ducats!  

My biggest problem is that if something horrible and irreparable were to happen (or gets stolen)  to my iPhone and I weren’t eligible for upgrade, I would most likely end up going back to a cheap flip phone! Sure- the internet is neat and all that, but I would not over-spend if not eligible for the upgrade! That’s just me, and I am certain that I am in the minority...

My Rolex watches always went up in value at least 20% by the time I would trade them! I have owned 6 counting my gold Date model. I really can’t upgrade unless another “Studebaker” Rolex comes along (the larger Datejust in 18K; don’t like the busy dial of a Day/Date, a.k.a. President).  I imagine that whilst other premium makes will not enjoy this level of appreciation, Rolex is like the Stetson hat: sets a standard, and is classic and always desirable no matter the fashion of the time. I guess since I am used to appreciation on timepieces, I can’t let go of $350 for an iWatch...

Different strokes, right?

BTW- nice automatic piece you have there. 

AppleCare comes free with the upgrade program. It's great, its basically a lease the same way you lease a car. Pay $x per month, get a new phone every year with full warranty. My wife dropped her phone and broke the screen. No big deal. Dropped it off at the store and had a brand new screen 30 mins later, free of charge. 

Archived