Fight Strap on C/A Help!

Aquilzz

Hey everyone! ?

I am looking to add an elastic fight strap to my V7 XF c/a. I have a problem with the unit sort of riding up on me after a while. I don't tuck and tie my pant laces into the nylon loop, which helps but can't do the job by itself. In a perfect world, I would just do the "Lundqvist mod" and have slits in my c/a for the suspenders to go on the shoulders, but that is definitely out of my skill level. 

This is probably one of the simplest mods to do, but I'm not exactly the most experienced when it comes to modding gear and mainly have a question about the materials I need...

...What I'm planning to do is just stitch a hook/loop knee elastic onto the backplate using a speedy stitcher (green) and feed it through the loop of the pants (red) back to the velcro. 
fullsizeoutput_76f.thumb.jpeg.4193a9f8d74b439e6b2af783ab61d1e8.jpeg

Simple enough, and here are the materials I need:

Speedy stitcher: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000HGIJQ4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

Elastic: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00FGL104S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

My main question...do I need anything else? My main concern is if the needle/thread of the speedy stitcher are the proper size or if I need a smaller needle/thinner thread.

Thanks in advance for the help guys :D

2 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

Hey everyone! ?

I am looking to add an elastic fight strap to my V7 XF c/a. I have a problem with the unit sort of riding up on me after a while. I don't tuck and tie my pant laces into the nylon loop, which helps but can't do the job by itself. In a perfect world, I would just do the "Lundqvist mod" and have slits in my c/a for the suspenders to go on the shoulders, but that is definitely out of my skill level. 

This is probably one of the simplest mods to do, but I'm not exactly the most experienced when it comes to modding gear and mainly have a question about the materials I need...

...What I'm planning to do is just stitch a hook/loop knee elastic onto the backplate using a speedy stitcher (green) and feed it through the loop of the pants (red) back to the velcro.

Simple enough, and here are the materials I need:

Speedy stitcher: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000HGIJQ4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

Elastic: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00FGL104S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

My main question...do I need anything else? My main concern is if the needle/thread of the speedy stitcher are the proper size or if I need a smaller needle/thinner thread.

Thanks in advance for the help guys :D

Speedy stitcher is perfect for the job (most jobs, actually).  Stitch straight across and back again.  I've seen a lot of single stitch lines pull out, double is always better where you can.

I'd try to get an actual fight strap.  Lutch USA sells them.  They are known for making KHL jerseys but also sell fight straps separately; I think I paid $7/ea and got a white one and a black one.  The buttons hold a lot better than velcro by itself and are adjustable to two levels depending on how much tension you want.

The Lundqvist c/a slits are actually pretty easy too.  You'd just some extra nylon (higher denier, like the nylon used on the outside of pads) or Padskinz to fold over the incision to hold the stitch line.  The nylon backing on most c/a units is pretty thin and will rip when subject to the combination of tension, puncturing, and thread.

Good luck, let me know if you have any questions.

For the “fight strap” I would also consider using a piece of 2” webbing or other material as a “backing” on the opposite side of the back panel. I.e. Sew through the strap, then the CA, then the backing so sort of sandwich the CA material. It will be stronger. 

If im not explaining clearly and you need a pic let me know. Good luck!

On 5/27/2018 at 1:14 AM, Chenner29 said:

Speedy stitcher is perfect for the job (most jobs, actually).  Stitch straight across and back again.  I've seen a lot of single stitch lines pull out, double is always better where you can.

I'd try to get an actual fight strap.  Lutch USA sells them.  They are known for making KHL jerseys but also sell fight straps separately; I think I paid $7/ea and got a white one and a black one.  The buttons hold a lot better than velcro by itself and are adjustable to two levels depending on how much tension you want.

The Lundqvist c/a slits are actually pretty easy too.  You'd just some extra nylon (higher denier, like the nylon used on the outside of pads) or Padskinz to fold over the incision to hold the stitch line.  The nylon backing on most c/a units is pretty thin and will rip when subject to the combination of tension, puncturing, and thread.

Good luck, let me know if you have any questions.

I couldn't find a cheap fight strap (including shipping) to Canada, so just waiting for it to come in from the supplier! Should be about a week or so. 

The Lundqvist mod would DEFINITELY be an interesting project, but my next big purchase is likely to be a VE8 NHL spec c/a, so I will wait and custom order it from Vaughn. Although knowing Vaughn, it will be like a $300 upcharge ?. Would likely hurt resale value of my XF.

On 5/27/2018 at 6:40 AM, Punisher Goalie said:

For the “fight strap” I would also consider using a piece of 2” webbing or other material as a “backing” on the opposite side of the back panel. I.e. Sew through the strap, then the CA, then the backing so sort of sandwich the CA material. It will be stronger. 

If im not explaining clearly and you need a pic let me know. Good luck!

I think the best option would just be to use a regular fight strap instead of trying to mod a knee elastic for exactly your point...to make it stronger.

On 5/27/2018 at 10:32 AM, TheGoalNet said:

@Aquilzz - I always have one added. If you visit a local cobbler or gear repair place, they should be able to do this painlessly 

But that's not as fun ;) Most likely, I will just ask someone proficient in sewing to do it, but I like to think I want to try.

On 5/27/2018 at 11:16 AM, beansbats said:

Does anyone have a picture of a fight strap in use with their pants?  I am thinking about doing the same mod.

Thanks in advance!

-steve

I'll be sure to show you once I get it finished!

I couldn't find a cheap fight strap (including shipping) to Canada, so just waiting for it to come in from the supplier! Should be about a week or so. 

The Lundqvist mod would DEFINITELY be an interesting project, but my next big purchase is likely to be a VE8 NHL spec c/a, so I will wait and custom order it from Vaughn. Although knowing Vaughn, it will be like a $300 upcharge ?. Would likely hurt resale value of my XF.

You never know, you could find someone who wants to try it and is willing to pay a bit more. 
Or you could get better with stitching by that time and close it up.

I think the best option would just be to use a regular fight strap instead of trying to mod a knee elastic for exactly your point...to make it stronger.

But that's not as fun ;) Most likely, I will just ask someone proficient in sewing to do it, but I like to think I want to try. 

I'll be sure to show you once I get it finished!

It's too simple to pay someone else to do.  They'd probably charge you $20 for 5 minutes of time.  For that much, you could buy an awl and learn skills for a lifetime (Give a man a fish...)

Archived